Creches and Cloth

List childcare centres throughout NZ who support cloth use. List centres that don't support cloth use.
TheCrusadingLaundress
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Creches and Cloth

Post by TheCrusadingLaundress » Thu Nov 18, 2004 4:25 pm

I've added this forum so that parents can help each other find a childcare centre that will support their use of a washable nappy product.

I've done some investigation and found that there are NO regulations that force childcare centres to use disposable nappies. The Ministry of Education requires them to have a policy in place to deal with hygiene around changing nappies. Parents need to supply the nappies and a secure bag or vessle for holding the nappies. Do not expect the childcare centre to remove soiling. Expect it to be left in the nappy and put in the secure bag. All that a childcare centre needs to do is remove the dirty nappy, replace it with a clean nappy, and store the soiled nappy in a secure location. They should add this step to their policy if they haven't use washable nappies before.

If any centres have questions about cloth use at a childcare centre, they can talk to the Ministry of Education or their local health regulatory agency.

In Wellington there is one creche who refuses to use cloth and that is VICTORIA UNIVERSITY CRECHE. Feel free to tell them how you feel about that if you need to use their services. Maybe take a member of the Environmental Sciences Department along as well to discuss the ramifications of their policy.

Feel free to post the names of creches that happily use cloth nappies. KARORI PLUNKET CRECHE is very good and supportive.

Cheers,
Charity
Honey Child Pocket Nappies
www.honeychild.co.nz
0508 Dry Baby

blossom
TNN guru

Post by blossom » Thu Nov 18, 2004 4:31 pm

Greytown Community Creche supports and is perfectly happy to use cloth. I just told them if Logan does a poo it just needs to be flushed down the loo and so far they've done well!
There are actually a few of us parents there who use cloth and the creche staff seem to like the different varieties.
Janine
Mum to L (30/10/02) & Z (01/01/06)
-----------------------------------------

dennesclan
TNN addict

Post by dennesclan » Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:14 pm

I'd have to reiterate Janine on the Cloth nappy acceptance at the Creche in Greytown. I have even had comments saying how much nicer it is to work with real nappies than the "sposies." I guess we must be lucky Janine!
Deb :smt039 :sew: :knit:
:skater: Rollerpark here we come :skater:
Part time teacher and full time mummy to
Ceejay :happyrun: 5 years old
Koby 1 year :TNN1: Mummy's lil Sweet heart :cloud9:

TheBean
TNN nerd

Post by TheBean » Sat Dec 04, 2004 7:21 am

The Bay of Plenty Polytechnic Childcare Centre in Tauranga were happy to use cloth.

*They were even going to provide buckets to soak etc until I told them I didn't soak.
*They also rinse the poo off with a showerhead thing and send the poopy ones home soaking wet in individual plastic bags inside the main plastic bag full of wee ones.

Can't ask for better than that - They ROCK. :D (I provided a flip top rubbish bin which they line with a plastic bag each day.)
Last edited by TheBean on Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sarah

MegansMummy

Post by MegansMummy » Sat Dec 04, 2004 2:02 pm

Waikato University's Creche are happy to use cloth nappies. I've enquired about Megan being there in the New Year and they said they're happy to rinse off the nappies and put them in a bag to send home.

Anonymous

KiNZ In the Park

Post by Anonymous » Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:49 pm

Max (very 2) attends KiNZ in the Park - a daycare run by the Auckland Kindergarten Association at their headquarters in Myers Park. When I mentioned cloth nappies at our first meeting when he was 9 months they said no go - but when I showed them Max's fuzzibunz they were happy to change their mind. I think the main concern was pins, soaking and scraping - none of which they need to do with the FB's. My only problem is that I made Max's nappy bucket too attractive when I decorated it and it's very popular with the toddlers when I collect it at the end of each day - filled with its special treats!

Adele Terrill
TNN addict

Post by Adele Terrill » Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:03 pm

HealthKids in Nelson seems happy to use cloth. They dont soak or sluice though, will return them to you pooey. I imagine they would be happy to flush a poo in a flushable liner.

kiwi101
TNN nerd

Post by kiwi101 » Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:29 pm

vic uni creche currently has an EC toddler (15mths) she wears cloth training pants & they potty her while she is there, so i am horrified to hear they dont allow cloth nappies!
The Kiwis

I am a typo just WAITING to happen...

we are manic, mellow, average, exceptional, independant, reliant on each other, tired, full of energy...

caffiene is NOT my friend, neither is sugar... But that hasn't stopped me yet ...

sarahw
TNN nerd

Post by sarahw » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:17 pm

I was interested to re-read the post above. I'm currently negotiating with the creche I hope to send Ryan to. They say they don't want cloth nappies, but would be happy to have him in cloth training pants :? .

I'm going to take along some MCNs as I'm sure they can be convinced. Or I could just put him in his Swaddlebees and say they're trainers 8)

By the time he starts he'll be 2 anyway so training pants will probably be fine, but it's the principle I guess.
Back for another round with baby #3

Becks
TNN newbie

Post by Becks » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:41 pm

I'm very happy. We are moving up to Waiouru in July and I rung up the daycare up there (Waiouru Daycare Centre) today about getting the boys into daycare up there and they are more than happy to have Josh there with cloth. They already have 5 babies in cloth there.

Return to “Childcare Centres that Support Cloth (Public)”