Pea Pods

Claire
TNN oracle

Re: ecobots

Post by Claire » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:52 am

murcau wrote:Hi guys
well I went onto the ecobots website to look at Louises idea of using them while the baby is small. They certainly do work out alot cheaper!! They do say on the website that if a baby has a runny poo, then the cover will have to be changed. How many times a day do babys poo?? Would 5 covers be enough? They also say the NB covers will do a baby from 2.5kg-4.5kg. How old is a baby when it reaches 4.5kg? Will the newborn size then be too small after only a few weeks?
So many questions!! thanks for all your help though!!

I am not sure if anyone answered your questions!
5 covers should be enough. The amount of times a newborn poos can change dramatically from babe to babe so it's hard to tell. You can always get more after the baby arrives :D
I would recommend getting a snappi and using that rather than pad folding the prefold. It is tricky at first but once you get the hang of it you can stop most leaks. Grab your self a few boosters and some microfleece liners and you will be good to go!!
My babies get to 4.5kg at about 3 months old ... other peoples are born that size. I would say get the small size and if you unexpectedly have a little one you could do an emergency newborn size purchase. They keep their value well so even if you dont use them for long they can be re-sold to recoup your $$$ (or stashed away for your next bub :wink: )
HTH
Claire

Mazza B
TNN newbie

Help! My first pocket nap - and it leaked

Post by Mazza B » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:13 am

Hi

I am new to this forum and relatively new to cloth. I bought a pea pod nappy yesterday from the baby factory as I have been wanting to try pocket naps for a while.

I am currenty using flats and prefolds with whispers covers and they are great as in hardlly ever leak- no bad leaks and one small one after a 10 hour sleep - but a bit bulky and a little fiddly to put on.

Anyway I was very excited when I got the pea pod, so small and the fleece is soft and so easy to put on so I had to try it straight away! (Also you can just go down to the shop and buy one which is so fantastic for a newbie like me.) I had read about the insert not being absorbant until washed so I used a normal flat folded up instead. Now after 2 1/2 hours only it had leaked (I think the term might be wicked?) onto my son's clothes. The same flat I can leave on for 3-4 hours inside a whisper wrap and never leak if it's only wees.

So can anyone tell me where I might have gone wrong? Do you have to use them only with the inserts provided? Or is my flat nap not absorbant enough for this type of nap (it was quite wet but then it gets pretty wet with a wrap too and doesn't leak). Or too bulky (it fitted in the pocket just fine tho). I know that the nap was on tight enough, maybe a little too tight as it left marks on Danny's thighs. The leaking was around the legs.

Any advice much appreciated!

thanks

Mary
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/2;10722;80/st/20061209/n/Daniel+Sefton/dt/16/k/8d66/age.png[/img]

Louise
TNN oracle

Post by Louise » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:17 am

Hi Mary,

I have heard others say that their new Peapods had wicking problems even brand new. They had to "strip" their nappies in order to get them working properly. See the link below: http://www.thenappynetwork.org.nz/phpBB ... hp?t=16395

I would say that using a flat nappy should not have been a problem at all and if it normally lasts longer than 2 1/2 hours then the problem was the peapod rather than the absorbency.
Mum of 6

Mazza B
TNN newbie

Post by Mazza B » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:55 am

Thanks Louise I will give it a go - I really want this nappy to work!

Will soaking in napisan/ecostore nappy soaker be safe for the nappy?

Mary
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/2;10722;80/st/20061209/n/Daniel+Sefton/dt/16/k/8d66/age.png[/img]

camsmum
TNN newbie

Post by camsmum » Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:09 pm

Hi there, I'm new to cloth too and have had exactly the same problem - in fact it has almost put me off! I'll have to have a good read of the link and see if I can fix the problem. Thanks :D

mandli
TNN guru

Post by mandli » Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:11 pm

Also if you have a dryer it would be worth washing and popping in the dryer to seal any holes in the PUL from manufacturing.
Lisa, mama to Maya, no more nappies here!

[url=http://www.alterna-tickers.com][img]http://www.alterna-tickers.com/tickers/971631.png[/img][/url]

mummyjems
TNN nerd

Post by mummyjems » Fri May 18, 2007 4:09 pm

mandli wrote:Also if you have a dryer it would be worth washing and popping in the dryer to seal any holes in the PUL from manufacturing.

Aaah...maybe this is my problem. I got a pea pod and love the colours, price etc. but am gutted that it leaks all the time! Have washed heaps but didn't want to put the pocket in the dryer as I didn't want it to go dodgy. It seems to leak where the gusset :?: seams are. Wonder if it's leaking through the needle holes from the stitching :?: The insert seems to absorb fine and dandy but it still leaks....and the wees don't seem to run off the microfibre stuff. I'm really wanting this to work too as they fit pretty well and are nice and soft.
Jems
Happily married to Tim since 2002, Mum to Caleb (June '04), Caitlin (December '06)

mandli
TNN guru

Post by mandli » Fri May 18, 2007 4:13 pm

mummyjems wrote:
mandli wrote:Also if you have a dryer it would be worth washing and popping in the dryer to seal any holes in the PUL from manufacturing.

Aaah...maybe this is my problem. I got a pea pod and love the colours, price etc. but am gutted that it leaks all the time! Have washed heaps but didn't want to put the pocket in the dryer as I didn't want it to go dodgy. It seems to leak where the gusset :?: seams are. Wonder if it's leaking through the needle holes from the stitching :?: The insert seems to absorb fine and dandy but it still leaks....and the wees don't seem to run off the microfibre stuff. I'm really wanting this to work too as they fit pretty well and are nice and soft.

It's worth a try as it can happen with some nappies.
Lisa, mama to Maya, no more nappies here!

[url=http://www.alterna-tickers.com][img]http://www.alterna-tickers.com/tickers/971631.png[/img][/url]

posh
TNN oracle

Post by posh » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:50 pm

posh2109 wrote:Well I *had* to buy one after seeing them at the Baby Factory!! :wink:

DD who is almost a year old, wore it yesterday, I stuffed it with the hemp insert and also the microfibre night booster...

I was happy with it sort of, performance-wise it couldn't be faulted, but I wasn't too happy with the fit... I had it on the tightest snaps, and the wings underneath started to droop - is this a common thing? How can it be fixed? :smt100

Just updating my review of these... we use this nappy pretty regularly and the microfleece has gone a bit pilly :? so a bit disappointed with that aspect...

The fit is much better now though... no wing droop... :) and really, that is what it is about - good fit and no leaks!! :D
Anastasia - wahm to 3 x Image

SALE & CLEARANCE items!!!

At least Steve Irwin died doing what he loved, tracking wild animals in the open sea. When it's my time to go, I hope I'm online shopping

20 years in the making, but finally achieved!!! --->

aussiemum
TNN guru

Post by aussiemum » Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:33 am

I am so pleased that my new Peapod has not leaked. So far, I've just stuffed it with microfibre, as I'm waiting for the bamboo to be washed several times. I was worried, because my first Peapod (that I bought about 6 months ago) leaked like crazy but I think with more microfibre, less hemp and the nappy done up tighter, we're all organised. Mmn, which colour to buy next?
I'm Tamara, Mum to Gorgeous Joshie 9, Delightful David 6 & Step-Mum to Sweet Sarah 16
Adoptive Mum to Jess & Louise my furbabies.

"If it wasn't for the last minute, I wouldn't get anything done!"

Dorayaki
TNN addict

Post by Dorayaki » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:20 pm

I have five peapods but I have decided not to buy any more, at least for a while. They seem to leak faster than any other nappy, and don't fit very well around the legs of my skinny babies. I'm keeping them in the bottom of my stash but will keep trying as I hope they will be better when the babies put on a bit of weight.

I don't know much about stripping nappies but maybe I'll try that too.
Katy, full time working mum of B/G twins, now age seven
Expecting #3, a little boy, in August 2013

We <3 Wellington NICU!!

mummyjems
TNN nerd

Post by mummyjems » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:42 pm

Have just bought a bamboo one and can't wait for it to be washed so we can give it a whirl! Little bit nervous as the old peapod was not that great...after a couple of hours it had leaked right through which is not so great. When I bought the bamboo one I asked the lady (who happened to be branch manager) at the Tauranga Baby Factory if they came in any other colours and she said only the green but "we have the other peapods that come in all these lovely colours"...to which I replied I wasn't really interested as they weren't good nappies for us at which she was really surprised but wanted to pass it on to head office as if people weren't happy with them, they wanted to know. :oops: wondered if I said too much...
Jems
Happily married to Tim since 2002, Mum to Caleb (June '04), Caitlin (December '06)

nzmum
TNN nerd

Post by nzmum » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:15 pm

Just thought I'd update my review too. I am not having any leaking issues with my Peapod, however the elastic has completely gone in the back. This is extremely disappointing as this is in a fairly large rotation of nappies and it has only really come back into my frequent use pile in the mast couple of months. So it's gone pretty early in my opinion.

I'm retiring it again. I wish I was clever enough to replace the elastic, but it seems like too much work for a nappy that isn't a fave.
Jannene

Dorayaki
TNN addict

Post by Dorayaki » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:15 am

Just wondering if people are finding peapods better now since they changed their insert. I do love the hemp trifolds, but of course they were no good on their own. I passed my peapods on to a friend who is still using them, but they have gone very pilly and the back elastic has gone in one.
Katy, full time working mum of B/G twins, now age seven
Expecting #3, a little boy, in August 2013

We <3 Wellington NICU!!

aussiemum
TNN guru

Post by aussiemum » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:36 am

Do you mean changed from hemp to bamboo? The bamboo inserts are one of my faves! I don't have the actual nappies anymore, they weren't too bad but weren't really the right shape for Josh.
I'm Tamara, Mum to Gorgeous Joshie 9, Delightful David 6 & Step-Mum to Sweet Sarah 16
Adoptive Mum to Jess & Louise my furbabies.

"If it wasn't for the last minute, I wouldn't get anything done!"

Return to “Pocket Nappies”