Flats

garbanzo bean
TNN nerd

Flats

Post by garbanzo bean » Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:25 pm

Okay, have just had a baby 3 months ago and have had both flats and prefolds. I've discovered not all flats are the same. I've been given some and bought some and they vary heaps.

Most of them have pink stripes but even they are not all the same. There are some inparticular which are my favourite which have the pink stipe and are soo lovely and soft. Love putting them on my little girl. I have other pink stipes that are so stiff it's like putting cardboard between her legs.

I'd love to know what brand the really soft ones are. So versitile, wouldn't be without them. (even prefer them to prefolds at the moment, tried snappying and didn't work for me).
Tara

SAHM to DS 2003 and DD 2005

KAJ
TNN addict

Post by KAJ » Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:49 pm

I so know what you mean... I bought a pack from the baby solutions store. But even I have some that are soft and others not, they have the pink stripe too. I just thought that maybe I have used some more than others but if you have found the same thing maybe it's different nappy fabric!!!
Sal

Mum to one very active girl: 23.09.04

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:55 pm

I'm not sure how soft ours are compared to yours, but I can certainly relate to "reaching for them" - they dry sooooo fast whereas prefolds take a bit longer.

Ours are from Farmers, I think.
Leanne
Mum to 3 beautiful children
Image Small and Large pocket patterns available, for a small donation to Unicef. DIY kits also available for $5 each with free pattern. PM or email me for more info...

garbanzo bean
TNN nerd

Post by garbanzo bean » Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:05 pm

Yep, I'd describe my favourite flats as 'very soft, thick and thirsty' and they have all be well used (I suspect these are the Farmers Blue Bunny ones - I think - don't quote me on that). The only ones I bought are from T&T and they are smaller than all the rest, don't have a pink stripe and aren't as thirsty, wouldn't recomend them, they are a few dollars cheaper but I'd pay extra next time.
Tara

SAHM to DS 2003 and DD 2005

TheBean
TNN nerd

Post by TheBean » Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:33 pm

I heard somewhere that the darker red the stripe is, the better quality they are...
Not sure if that's true though because I'm sure the cheap imitation ones would just copy the dark red stripe rather than admit to being nasty ones wouldn't they!?
Sarah

Razz
TNN guru

Post by Razz » Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:26 pm

My red stripe ones now look all different darknesses (sorry thats terrible grammar!) I actually like the T&T ones, the red stripe ones were too big to fit in the small nixnaps and smaller wraps, and the T&T ones fit perfectly. They are also alot softer than my red stripe ones. Tho all my flats come out super soft after the dryer, but haven't been using that at all lately.
Rachel, Mama to Nate, Zach and Kaiabean

check out my patterns http://www.ravelry.com/designers/rachel-evans

Razz
TNN guru

Post by Razz » Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:26 pm

Oh my gosh, only 80 days to go :shock: haven't seen my ticker for such a long time
Rachel, Mama to Nate, Zach and Kaiabean

check out my patterns http://www.ravelry.com/designers/rachel-evans

helen
TNN nerd

i

Post by helen » Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:49 pm

use towelling flats as lochlan piddles right through the cotton flats so fast wasnt worth using them they still dry fast-faster than towels. dry overnight as i have airing rack near fire

Joelypockets
TNN addict

Post by Joelypockets » Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:57 am

:D From my flat nappy days, 9 years ago now, the dark red stripe ones are Indian cotton and are the best quality. Even then I paid $64 per dozen so I hate to think what they are worth now. They did however last through 2 children and still would have done a 3rd had I wanted to. The pale pink ones came from Farmers and worked fine as well but were not as good quality as the Indian cotton ones.
http://www.joel-ezenaps.co.nz
Andrea - Mother of 3
CJ 20/6/96
CM 25/2/99
JA 9/10/03

sable
Spinning Goddess

Post by sable » Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:35 pm

I've got 3 different types. Some from when I was a baby, so they've effectively been used on 4 babies now, no longer fluffy on the back. Some from Baby Factory sale a few years back, and some I made from the fabric I bought at Haralds fabric store. It's the actual pink stripe fabric, but worked out cheaper than ready hemmed ones.
I use my flats mostly as backup stuffing for pockets, they're not as good as my hemp flats, but still do the job quite well when padfolded.
Rachelle
http://raciebaby.blogspot.com/

Return to “Flats and Prefolds”