Help a newbee with lotsa questions... PLEASE.

Paula24
TNN newbie

Help a newbee with lotsa questions... PLEASE.

Post by Paula24 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:43 am

:D Hi there Lady's,
I have lots of questions about lots of things and I'd love some help and support with using cloth nappies :shock: PLEASE :D .

Im using flats pink strip, toweling, and the ones thru bummis i think they are called tri-folds?????

Im using wraps and covers and would like some more ideas on other good brands or if they are easy to make myself (or my mum might help as she is the clever one :lol: ) and what type of material would we use and where would i find patterns??

I would also like to know how to make the microfleece liners to keep Macce's cute little bum drier. Any ideas would be great :D .

One more question.... Macee is only 8 weeks old and can do such big wee's it soaks her pad folded nappy and Bummis wrap in one hour, it ends up smelling like wee :roll: and i cant reuse the wrap?? Is this normal and what can I do to help as i only have 3 bummis wraps so far. :oops: ?

Well i think thats it for now I know ill have more guestions soon and hopefully you can help with them too.

I have read thru some of the other questions and answers which were really interesting and some helpfull too but was up till 11pm reading them all so decided to ask my own ones.

Cheers for this i really look forward to some replies :wink:

Macee Jae's Mum Paula :D
A new mum to 8week old Macee Jae.

snugglebumz
TNN nerd

Post by snugglebumz » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:54 am

For patterns check out the home page by clicking on the logo in the corner. This has patterns ranging from nb through to M/L sizing.

For fabric you can use PUL and microfleece (for pockets) which you can buy at www.greenbeans.co.nz . Microfleece can be cut to the shape you need and no overlocking or sewing of the edges is needed as it does not fray.

good luck
Ruth, mum to 4 beautiful children

my new blog http://mypreciousfamily.wordpress.com/
Charlotte at about 7 months old ----------------------->>>>>
creator and maker of snugglebumz nappies
velour towelling is avaliable, pm me if interested

ditto
TNN guru

Re: Help a newbee with lotsa questions... PLEASE.

Post by ditto » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:01 pm

Paula24 wrote: Im using flats pink strip, toweling, and the ones thru bummis i think they are called tri-folds?????

I think you might mean "prefolds" :wink:

Paula24 wrote:Im using wraps and covers and would like some more ideas on other good brands or if they are easy to make myself (or my mum might help as she is the clever one :lol: ) and what type of material would we use and where would i find patterns??

There are so many other good brands ... (and Greenbeans is the place to buy fabrics). It sounds like you need more absorbency in your nappies. Hemp and microfibre would be good fabrics to try. There are lots of nappy ladies in your area who might be able to show you some different nappies and maybe help you sew some.
Mama to Braden (5/05), Rosalia (6/08), Corin (3/10) and Annelise (2/14)

shortly
TNN guru

Post by shortly » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:29 pm

Hi Paula, congrats on the arrival of your wee girl (are you who I think you are??). We're having a nappicino tomorrow (I think...) at my place, 10am. you're welcome to come. We can talk nappies more there!! I've got stacks of fabric you could look at, also I've got a hire kit free if you want to borrow one while you get your stash up and running. Microfleece liners are dead easy to make - no sewing involved!!

If you can't make it to my place, PM me, I'd be happy to come to you, as long as you don't mind Miss A coming too. We're fairly inseparable. We're fairly free on Thursday (after music) or Friday at this stage.
Sheryl

Mum to Shay (17) Alison (7) and Rebecca (6), obsessive knitter, full-time teacher, and *still* working on my Masters. Not long to go now!!

Paula24
TNN newbie

Post by Paula24 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:07 pm

Thanks for your replies and keep them coming its great :D

Can I just cut the microfleece to the shape I want and put this in her nappy..... is it this simple?? :lol:

I have some nice soft and very cute microfleece to use so can't wait to try it out. :)

I had a look at the DIY patterns and saw pocket nappies which I would be keen to make if its cheeper than buying them?? Is there any patterns for covers or is it cheeper to buy them??

I will definately meet up with the nappy nutters in NP and get some hands on help too.

Cheers again guys..... dont stop giving me advice please :D

missgateau
TNN guru

Post by missgateau » Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:44 pm

Hi Paula,
Yip - it's a lot cheaper to make pocket nappies than buy them - they work out at about $6 -8 depending on size I think. The covers can be made with the same pattern as the pockets and just adding the FOE (fold over elastic) that you can get from Greenbeans around the edges.
Kate (formerly bibandtucker)

Paula24
TNN newbie

Post by Paula24 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:38 pm

:D Hi again,
Im so excited......... I went on the Green beans web site and have ordered the ready to sew pocket nappy, I feel $30 is a good price to pay for 3 or 4 nappies and to experiment with them myself eh?? (well with a little help from mum :D ) Who knows where to from here, I might become a nappy nutter too 8-) .
Thanks again for your support and keep it coming :D

manzana
TNN addict

Post by manzana » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:53 pm

Hi Paula

good on you for start with cloth!
did you already cut the liners? for the first 2 months with DS we used microfleece cut in a rectangle on top of the prefolds, now we use some that are bigger with a hourglass shape (therefore bigger) and they work really well. We put the poo liners in a separate container and then clean them with a little designated brush before chucking in the wash with the rest.
If the covers are only damp they can be rotated and aired between uses.
If the prefolds dont seem to be enough, what works the best for us are some that I made from hemp terry and burley, they are 2 rectangles same size as prefolds sewn together, much more thirsty than the bought ones...
Am I repeating what you already know? :oops:

WE had a hire kit, I think Shortly offered you one, its a GREAT idea, I had no idea abbout nappies before getting to this site, but the hire kit was the best way to try differnt designs and find what works for us.

good luck doing your own!

and congrants in your baby!!!!!

:D

MARIANA

Return to “Flats and Prefolds”