Down Undies

ClothConvert
TNN nerd

Down Undies

Post by ClothConvert » Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:03 am

This is a velcro wrap also made here in NZ. It is lined with fleece and the outer is a rip-stop nylon...read all about it here - http://www.downundernz.co.nz/product/detail.asp

I give these a rating of 3.5. I like that it dries quickly, easy to care for, and stain resistant. The fit was good, but it has a long rise, hence it sits quite high up on my son's waist, so I stopped using these once he was sitting up. It also doesn't have fold back laundry tabs, so i'd fasten it then turn inside out before throwing in the wash. Because of the fleece inner, it pills quite easily. I also find this cover isn't as versatile as Bummis in terms of covering a good range of cloth nappies. Great for using with prefolds/flats folded in a pad, but a challenge to get complete coverage over fitteds and snappied prefolds.

smileeah
TNN nerd

Post by smileeah » Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:16 am

My downundies are back ups now too.

I give them a 3.5 for fit on my 17 mth old. I only use them with a flat folded into a pad, I wouldn't like to try fitting them over any other kind of fold let alone a fitted nap.

I haven't tried them with my 2 mth old yet so not sure how they would go on him.
Melissa.

Mum to three boys - 7yrs, 5yrs & 4yrs!

Sharonnz
TNN guru

Post by Sharonnz » Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:36 am

I found the rise too high & the crotch width too narrow. Dh loved these covers with a folded flat nappy but I found they didn't contain poo very well with the narrow crotch. Easy to use but I much prefer a bummis super whisper wrap for versatility & coverage. Sharon

Tom's Mum
TNN convert

Post by Tom's Mum » Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:17 pm

Finally found other people who use or have used down undies.
Did anyone find that they get wet through easily. I don't use them at night cause by morning my boy is soaked through. The outers get wet in between the crotch and the nappy seemed to get scrunched up in the middle. That means when he poos it gets on the outer part. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I don't know. I have tried putting two nappies in at night but that didn't work either. Too bulky and he peed striaght out the side.

Any hints as to what to do?

Stacey
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Stacey » Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:01 pm

Ive just started using these again on JJ (now 22 months) and Im liking them more. His body shape has changed and they seem to fit better - we dont have that restriction around the waist issue anymore. Still only use them during the day (when we're not expecting a poo!) and generally without clothes over the top. A quick, lazy change for these hot summer days :)

Toms Mum - Id use something else at night. I dont see any way around the issues of no leg elastic, and they are really not 'pouchy' enough to contain two full nappies without big gaps. You could try hemp - you'd only need one large hemp prefold and you'd get about the same absorbancy as 2 cotton flats. Hemp also doesnt tend to scrunch up as much as cotton, but if he's a wiggler - the nap will get scrunched up. Not much you can do about that either. You could try folding the nap origami style and snappi-ing/pinning it on with the other pad folded inside. You'd likely have to tuck in a fair bit to get it to fit under the down undie though. I never used mine at night as they only fitted a flanny flat inside, which is only enough absorbtion for a couple of pees from our wee boy.

Stacey

kiwi101
TNN nerd

Post by kiwi101 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:29 pm

crotch width of a size 1 was good for ash, with a padfolded muslin, but the leg was a tad to low cut for him. the taslon outer tended to chafe his thighs a little (thats why he needs the narrow crotch)

a good basic cover esp for at home/as back up, but not my fav
The Kiwis

I am a typo just WAITING to happen...

we are manic, mellow, average, exceptional, independant, reliant on each other, tired, full of energy...

caffiene is NOT my friend, neither is sugar... But that hasn't stopped me yet ...

garbanzo bean
TNN nerd

Post by garbanzo bean » Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:45 pm

I'm using these at the moment with my newborn(7 weeks) they are huge on her but make her more grippy to pick up. I use a flat with the back folded out into wings and have the nappy sticking out of the downundy (not how it's supposed to be used I know), as I find it reliably contains her newborn poos, and since being really wet isn't a problem at the moment I don't find wicking a problem.

Also used them on DS for about 1 year but did find them tight around his middle for sitting and the rise high. I only stopped using them though because they were knacked, (2nd hand 2nd hand 2nd hand or more I believe)!!!
Tara

SAHM to DS 2003 and DD 2005

sassydot

Post by sassydot » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:00 pm

I used these on my son for over 2 years, from about 8 weeks until about June this year, I only stopped because he learned how to open the velcro :roll:
I found them fantastic, never had leaks, and often used 2 folded up flats inside when he got older and esp at night.
Pretty much dry enough to put on straight out of the washing machine which I thought was really handy as I only had 2 at one point.

Foxtrot
TNN nerd

Re: Down Undies

Post by Foxtrot » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:45 pm

I'm not a fan of these I'm afraid. I found the rise too high, the crotch width too narrow to fit a prefold into nicely, and the leg holes were too low and cut in at the thighs. They also seemed to wet through quite easily. The clothes wouldn't be soaking, but a bit damp all over like the wet had seeped through the fabric rather than escaped out the legs (although I did get it second hand so maybe it had been washed incorrectly or something before I got it?). I also didn't like that when it's done up there are 3 layers of cover across the tummy, which made them quite bulky.
Bernadine
Image Image Image
Angel baby Feb 2010

“A person who has good thoughts cannot ever be ugly. You can have a wonky nose and a crooked mouth and a double chin and stick-out teeth, but if you have good thoughts they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely.” Roald Dahl

growingclothie
TNN oracle

Post by growingclothie » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:04 pm

Bernadine wrote:I'm not a fan of these I'm afraid. I found the rise too high, the crotch width too narrow to fit a prefold into nicely, and the leg holes were too low and cut in at the thighs. They also seemed to wet through quite easily. The clothes wouldn't be soaking, but a bit damp all over like the wet had seeped through the fabric rather than escaped out the legs (although I did get it second hand so maybe it had been washed incorrectly or something before I got it?). I also didn't like that when it's done up there are 3 layers of cover across the tummy, which made them quite bulky.

Check the dates of the other reviews ;) Covers designed pre2005 are very different to what is available on the market today! I am soooo glad the MCN world has moved on from these materials too
Bec

Home educating mum to precious blessings:
*MissW (stillborn Jan'04)
*MasterZ (11yrs old, born Jan'04)
*MasterH (7yrs old, born Sept'07)
*MissK (4yrs old, born Nov'10)
*MissF (2yrs old, born July'13)

Visit me on Ravelry http://www.ravelry.com/projects/SteppingInWater

Foxtrot
TNN nerd

Post by Foxtrot » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:02 pm

Hmm good point - I probably do have the older style ones. I see they are sold new on TradeMe though so they must still be making them, but maybe they have a newer version out now?
Bernadine
Image Image Image
Angel baby Feb 2010

“A person who has good thoughts cannot ever be ugly. You can have a wonky nose and a crooked mouth and a double chin and stick-out teeth, but if you have good thoughts they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely.” Roald Dahl

Return to “Covers”