Breast Pads - what worked for you?

Louise
TNN oracle

Breast Pads - what worked for you?

Post by Louise » Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:12 am

I must have mega leaky breasts because I found none of the disposable pads(Treasures are terrible, Johnsons more comfortable but nowhere near absorbent enough) except for Pigeon brand worked for me. At $9-15 a pack of 24 (12 days) that is rather expensive. I could wear one pair a day with NO leaks which was great. They do have "gel" in them though similar to disposable nappies I guess but honestly, for the assurance they gave me they were worth it.

I tried the tommee tippee ones and the evenflo ones (they are expensive too) which were useless, the milk just ran straight down and filled up in my bra!

I then had high hopes for woollen breast pads, bought two pairs but had lots of leaks. At times they would soak up a bit of milk, other times it would run straight down and soak my bra. I tried them for about 3 months (from when baby was 4 weeks) and things improved with time although this would have been due to milk settling with feeding times etc.
I find I need breast pads until baby is about 5 months old and then never have leaks.

I was so disappointed as I had heard GREAT things about the wool pads from friends who swear by them. They were VERY comfortable, easy to use and wash and did work well some of the time.

I ended up selling them and dedided that if I have another baby I will just use the Pigeon pads becaue I know they work (although I feel like a bit of a cheat since I use only cloth nappies and cloth pads for myself).

I saw someone post about the motherease pads so thought I 'd ask what experiences other people have had with breast pads.
Mum of 6

Louise
TNN oracle

Post by Louise » Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:13 am

I also looked into FB pads but was told they have a similar absorbency to the Treasures pads.
Mum of 6

Angel
TNN guru

Post by Angel » Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:31 am

I used Tommee Tippee shaped washable pads from about 7 weeks onwards. Had to use 2 on each side for night though!
Aimee http://www.ravelry.com/projects/angeldunedin
~ Ella - 11 years old ~ Toby - 8.5 years old ~ Olivia - 5.5 years old ~
ImageImage

k8ylou
TNN nerd

Post by k8ylou » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:14 am

Wow, you guys are milk machines.

I bought some woollen ones from a NN member - Franny, when pregnant, just getting prepared, but I found even though I had copious amounts of milk, I didn't really 'leak'. So I only used then a few times during the first 3 weeks.

Janine
TNN nerd

Post by Janine » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:20 am

Nikki from Nix-kidz made me some, they are microfleece liner, microfibre inner and pUL outer, she also does hemp ones.

These have been great - no leaks, and I do get letdown on both sides while feeding so is messy if I am not wearing any! I also leak overnight as it is longer between feeds (althou not much :( )

These are really cheap too - email Nikki (memberlist, username NIX-KIDZ) and she will send you all the details if you are interested.

Ahhh, and the microfleece is so nice and soft against sore nipples.

I can wear one pair all day and then just wash with my naps so only need a couple of pairs really.

Cheers
Janine

Sharonnz
TNN guru

Post by Sharonnz » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:51 am

I use Snazzipants ones overnight. They're really thick & have worked great for me. I use Fuzzibunz plus old Avent/Tommee Tippee ones in them as well...bit of a pain but nice & trim:-) Was just thinking this morning I'd like to get a couple of pairs of Nikz Kidz ones to try too. Haven't bought any sposie breastpads this time around...saved a packet!!

Sharon

sable
Spinning Goddess

Post by sable » Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:14 pm

I think the ones I had were the Evenflo ones. I used to boost them with my husbands hankies.
I have to say I loved mens hankies for this, cheap, absorbant, and comfortable.
The only decent disposable ones were the Pigeon ones, they were great, but very expensive. The Treasures ones were worse than useless, J&J passable, but you needed to use quite a few.
Rachelle
http://raciebaby.blogspot.com/

Darny
TNN guru

Post by Darny » Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:37 pm

I second the vote for mens hankies, they were nice and comfy, I never even knew there were such things as breast pads back when I had the girls (shows how much notice I take of stuff in the supermarket/ advertising I suppose)

My friend is using some kinda cup device, and collecting it all and freezing it so when the PIL's babysit they can feed Samantha if she needs it, which seems like a good idea (even if you throw the milk away afterwards, the cup thingie is plastic and can just be washed and re-used, so no damp cloth to deal with.)
Shar
http://www.darncat.com Clothing Patterns for Kids (and some for Mum and Dad)
http://www.facebook.com/DaRNCaT.Patterns http://darncatpatterns.blogspot.com/
http://www.nznappies.co.nz OSFM adjustable rise nappy patterns

There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness' :penguin:

Casper
TNN nerd

Post by Casper » Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:46 pm

I used the woollen pads from www.breastmates.co.nz and only leaked through them once (little miss independant decided she didn't need mummy for 12 hours one day :roll:)

Never had a problem with the J&J ones either (used them to start with) but they weren't very comfortable.
Nicole

Kaz
TNN guru

Post by Kaz » Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:32 pm

Must say I'm glad I'm not the only one with leaky breasts!

I made my own with 2 layers of towelling sandwiched between a layer of microfleece sooo soft and nylon. I think PUL would be better though. These are great during the day but I have to use something similar to a nappy booster at night, same construction.

rosebug
TNN guru

Post by rosebug » Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:31 pm

I had the same problem, well at least up til 3 months, when I suddenly didn't leak anymore!! :smt041
But I used pigeon pads. I intend making some flannel and hemp ones next time, and also maybe try the nix-nap ones.
Marie
SAHMama to 4 gorgeous little ones!
DD#1 is 7! DD#2 is 5! DS & DD#3 are 2!

Angie
TNN convert

Post by Angie » Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:34 pm

I'm a leaker too, and have a really powerful let down so this time around I wanted to try and avoid using disposables and find a cheaper alternative.

I did try the breastpads from breastmates, they were really comfy and kept me dry but unfortunately they leaked as they couldn't contain all the milk I spurt out during a letdown. A friend sent me some Mother of Eden breastpads from Australia, and they're great. It sounds like the ones I've got are very similar to the Nix-kids ones.

I had some disposable pads that I was using when my cloth ones were in the wash and found they felt awful when filled with milk and was glad I wasn't going to have to use them for months this time around.
Angie - SAHM to two homebirthed boys

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:26 pm

:smt045 I soo know what your talking about. I leak really badly. Have tried everything from lanowool, breastmates, disposables and lol the best I came across was the good old flannel folded in four with a bit of gladwrap at the back so I wouldn't get a wet bra. :lol: Yes I know a cheapskate way :mrgreen: but it works for me! If you come across some really good ones then let me know :wink: I'd be keen.

Stacey
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Stacey » Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:28 pm

Hehhehe - I could shoot milk across a room! 'Leaky' is not an apt description :lol: I had to use a terry tea-towel/handtowel stuffed down my bra at night, even then I leaked through it! Id walk around the house with a towel wrapped around me, and took a spare t-shirt with me if I went out. Wool ones werent available back then, but I got some flannel backed with (good quality) microfleece ones from overseas (SweetCheeks). They were nice and thick and usually worked well - I still drenched the odd shirt. They were really thick, so perhaps if youre ordering from a WAHM you could ask them to put in an extra couple of layers of fabric. I think the microfleece was great as it breathed (evaporating a bit of the leakage) and it kept them in place...nothing worse than a breastpad that ends up not covering your nipple! And Id suggest buying lots of them and changing them often.

Stacey

Judy
TNN nerd

Post by Judy » Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:39 am

I researched this before I had my baby and ended up importing a product called Blis, which stands for "Breast Leakage Inhibitor System". It's a disc made of flexible medical grade plastic that when inserted in your bra puts gentle pressure on the nipple, thus preventing leakage - kind of the same principle as when you use your hand to press and stop the leakage, but this is a constant gentle pressure. It's used with a small cotton insert that goes between your skin and the disc. The disc has air holes in it so it allows air to circulate around the nipple, which potentially means less problems.

I used Blis with the Lanisoh lanolin and it worked great. I didn't have a single embarrasing leakage incident or infection. I did wear them at night also with a soft bra for about the first 2-3 months. I BF DS til he was 14 months when he self weaned. Aparently they can be great at the weaning stage if baby just stops feeding unexpectedly as you just wear these constantly until your body adjusts.

I just looked online for a link to post about the product and see that it would appear that it's not being made any more. http://www.mothersbliss.co.uk/shopping/blis.asp

I was thinking about selling the set I have, so if anyone's interested you can PM me :D
Last edited by Judy on Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2106/2186177705_c42a1388d3_m.jpg[/img] Hip and Side Snap patterns in newborn through extra large for sale by request.

Return to “Everything else”