Ecostore Nappy Balm

LemonNZ
TNN guru

Post by LemonNZ » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:50 pm

Thanks for the heads up I will be checking out our local store and stocking up on the old stuff. I love it for my rashy skin.

Ali
TNN nerd

Post by Ali » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:59 pm

I might cry :(

I so love the old stuff
Ali
<-- Someone got hold of a felt pen!!
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/2;54;95/st/20060527/n/Isobella+Elliott/dt/16/k/f048/age.png[/img]
[/url]

Neak1
TNN guru

Post by Neak1 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:02 pm

Ohhh no :x :x :x
will be heading to hardy's health tomorrow to buy more I love the smell and its so good to use on all sorts :( I wonder why they changed it??? Silly to change a good thing
Monique

Seth 8
Nina 4

KLS
TNN nutter

Post by KLS » Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:00 pm

I loved the smell too - it has been fabulous for so many things! :D
The ingredients now are: olive oil, coconut oil, sesame oil, beeswax, zinx oxide, and horopito extract. I can't really smell anything in it.

So no comfrey, calendula, chamomile, cod liver oil, caster oil or lavender.

It says 'latest formula'. It's like a whole new cream :cry:

Maybe they are doing 2? [-o<
Kelley / Mum to Ryder (13 May 2006)

Neak1
TNN guru

Post by Neak1 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:13 pm

I went down to our local shop here and grabbed one. I was telling the lady about the new cream. She hadn't heard of the change, and even said why would they want to change it??
Monique

Seth 8
Nina 4

KLS
TNN nutter

Post by KLS » Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:34 pm

I wrote to Ecostore to ask and here's the reply:

"I am sorry you and others were disappointed that our Nappy Balm formulation has changed, however I can assure you this is for the best of reasons!

All our new baby formulations have been developed with the aim of providing the gentlest, most natural, most nourishing, and most protective products possible based on absolutely up to date scientific literature.

Regarding the Nappy Balm, we have modified the fragrance composition to minimise the possibility of any allergic skin reaction. Babies' skin does not have the same protective fatty acid profile as adult skin, and there is emerging evidence in scientific literature that babies may be sensitised to allergens present in some natural oils. This can cause lifelong allergic contact dermatitis problems for example.

Chamomile extracts can cause allergic reactions in some cases, and so we have replaced the chamomile with rose geranium oil which is believed very unlikely to cause any skin irritation.The lavender oil has been modified, again to minimise the possibility of any allergic reaction.

We have also replaced the castor oil and cod liver oil with naturally saturated fatty acids such as coconut oil, olive oil and jojoba oil. Both castor oil and cod liver oil can "go off" if exposed to the air for any length of time. Should this occur, rancid oils could cause allergic contact dermatitis and free radical damage.

The zinc oxide, which has pharmaceutical anti microbial action in preventing and relieving nappy rash, is common to both old and new formulations, and the colour change to white is due to other formulation changes.

The new Nappy Balm formulation is therefore based on new scientific research and is safer for baby - indeed it is as safe and protective for baby as it possibly can be.

I do hope this answers your concerns about the change.

By the way, in your letter you say that you have been using the nappy balm for other purposes, perhaps as a general moisturiser? We would not recommend this, as the zinc oxide will block up the pores of the skin, and the nappy balm is best used only for its intended purpose."

Interesting that rose geranium and jojoba and modified lavender are not listed in the ingredients...but there ya go. Mostly sounds good, but I thought chamomile and lavender were age-old natural remedies...

It still doesn't smell nearly as nice :cry: :?
Kelley / Mum to Ryder (13 May 2006)

Return to “Everything else”