Mooncups

Shae
TNN nerd

Mooncups

Post by Shae » Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:44 pm

Hi, since browsing around on Greenbeans I've become a bit interested in these. (I didin't even know such a thing exsisted)
I was wondering how many women out there use them and also how user friendly they are. They sound like once you got the knack they are pretty easy?
I'm generally a tampon user so the mooncups are a little more appealing than the mamma pads.
Mama to A, J, & A
www.farmfamily.blogspot.com

Annabella
TNN nerd

Post by Annabella » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:37 pm

Hi there :D

Check this out:
http://www.thenappynetwork.org.nz/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=402

They are very popular- I have one and will never go back. They are easy, convenient and I doubt I will ever buy tampons/pads again 8)

Shae
TNN nerd

Post by Shae » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:23 pm

Thanks so much for the link. Tons of info and advice. It definately swings my vote! :D
Mama to A, J, & A
www.farmfamily.blogspot.com

hannah
TNN guru

Post by hannah » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:56 pm

:lol:
hi all.. hee hee this is my first post ever :wink: I've been reading for a couple of weeks though.. I just had to finally jump in!
mooncups rock! love it! I've had one for 6mths, I bought it on TradeMe. So wish I'd found it earlier!! I havn't used anything else!! no pads, NO tampons, NOTHING!!! only one leak, cos I forgot to check it'd 'popped' properly so it didn't seal. I could just rave on n' on.

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:03 pm

Hi Hannah, welcome!

You're in good company here ;)

I love mine too!
Leanne
Mum to 3 beautiful children
Image Small and Large pocket patterns available, for a small donation to Unicef. DIY kits also available for $5 each with free pattern. PM or email me for more info...

West_Mum
TNN nerd

Post by West_Mum » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:07 pm

I was a bit nervous the first cycle i used it.

By the 2nd time i felt like a bit of a pro!!
Liz - mum to my 3 gorgeous redheads

new mum
TNN nutter

Post by new mum » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:36 am

I was wondering what a mooncup was and was going to post to ask - It sounds interesting, I think I'll have to look into this. So you only need one right? Do you just empty it and clean it and put it straight back?

hannah
TNN guru

Post by hannah » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:22 pm

yip, one lasts about 10 years. the mooncups silicon but theres a rubber version called a keeper. Using it is no messier than using a tampon and the benefits are huge..cost, no fibres and soaking up the natural environment down there or that horrid feeling of removing a dry tampon. Its like a wee wine glass with a short stem so it just collects everything. I find it great as I don't have a heavy period past the first day or so and the cup doesn't have to be removed as often as tampons. I wipe mine with toilet paper after emptying and wash it once a day, sterilising at the end of my period. so go on $50 on menstrual products for the next 10 yrs? :D

new mum
TNN nutter

Post by new mum » Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:33 am

I emailed my sis about this and she said "looks great!, just wonder how the rinsing would work in public toilets or work etc?"
- but you say you can just wipe it out aye. Do you have to worry about hygiene? Like be really careful that it's really clean?

bobavet
TNN nerd

Post by bobavet » Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:36 am

In public toilets, I have a little mini pump of water that I use to rinse it out, as I find sometimes if you wipe it with loo paper, it's a little "dry" and doesn't go in as easily (a little more fiddly).
Julie
------------------------
[url=http://www.baby-gaga.com/][img]http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/dogdogsrd20050315_11_Alexandra+is.png[/img][/url]

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:00 am

Just this week I've discovered another use for our diaper spray/bidet - great for rinsing the cup. ;)

I've sometimes not even bothered rinsing it. No infection probs thus far. Clean hands are more of an issue I think.
Leanne
Mum to 3 beautiful children
Image Small and Large pocket patterns available, for a small donation to Unicef. DIY kits also available for $5 each with free pattern. PM or email me for more info...

Lily Jack and Meg's Mum
TNN guru

Post by Lily Jack and Meg's Mum » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:52 pm

Thought I would add my review since i have had my moon cup sitting in my bathroom cupboard waiting for this day!!! Yay, is it wrong to be this excited to have my period back post baby! Anyway, I am really suprised that I have found it sooooo easy the first time. I have emptied it a couple of times (to just check really :oops: ), so easy to insert and remove, no issues so far with sealing, it is fab. The only thing that guts me about it is that I really want to use some styley mama pads shortly made me and I also want to buy some of outrageous pads too, now I really don't think I have a reason to! :cry: Loving it, we are going away this weekend and I won't have to cart round tampons with me! Go the moonie

Return to “Everything else”