Help me understand why...

ClothConvert
TNN nerd

Help me understand why...

Post by ClothConvert » Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:20 pm

(I have put this post in this section as it's the most appropriate section that is "Public" I can think of...)

I often hear similar comments to this:

I haven't been brave enough to go to any of the nappuccinos yet!

so I'm intrigued about the varied explanations there may be for such sentiments about nappucinos. Please help us make nappucinos more inviting/risk free for newbies by telling us what your concerns are?

West_Mum
TNN nerd

Post by West_Mum » Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:49 am

I just remember being sooooooo nervous about going to my first nappicino (western springs). I nearly changed my mind so many times on my way there, but was so glad i did it. Met some awesome ladies!
Liz - mum to my 3 gorgeous redheads

k8ylou
TNN nerd

Post by k8ylou » Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:28 am

I wonder if it's because lots of brand new Mum's are still unused to the whole 'speaking to strangers about your kids' that just becomes part of life as a Mum.

pre babies, I wouldn't go out of my way to make conversation with random people (that's just me! :D ) but NOW, I can talk to just about anyone, and kids are such great icebreakers. And it breaks up my sometimes monotonous days.

gabes
TNN nerd

Post by gabes » Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:58 am

also possibly that they are generally at someones house which was more scary for me the first time than if it had been at a 'public' venue

bizzy
TNN nerd

Post by bizzy » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:28 am

and if youre new and you read the posts about upcoming nappiccinos the people already sound like they know each other really well and you feel like an intruder. even now i feel like that sometimes, that its more a meeting of mums who know each other to have a catch up IRL
Deborah, SAHM to three

Judy
TNN nerd

Post by Judy » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:19 am

What isn't scary about meeting a group of people you only know online? :roll:
[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2106/2186177705_c42a1388d3_m.jpg[/img] Hip and Side Snap patterns in newborn through extra large for sale by request.

posh
TNN oracle

Post by posh » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:25 am

gabes wrote:also possibly that they are generally at someones house which was more scary for me the first time than if it had been at a 'public' venue

This was the major factor for me... my first nappicino was in a public place and I knew everyone there would be from TNN... so it made it a bit easier... whereas, if it is at someone's house - you would be asking yourself if you had the right house, right time, right day, etc... :roll:
Anastasia - wahm to 3 x Image

SALE & CLEARANCE items!!!

At least Steve Irwin died doing what he loved, tracking wild animals in the open sea. When it's my time to go, I hope I'm online shopping

20 years in the making, but finally achieved!!! --->

Paws
TNN guru

Post by Paws » Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:27 pm

bizzy wrote:and if youre new and you read the posts about upcoming nappiccinos the people already sound like they know each other really well and you feel like an intruder. even now i feel like that sometimes, that its more a meeting of mums who know each other to have a catch up IRL

I agree....I must admit I'm keen to go to the next Auckland one but I'm pretty nervous about meeting people who I'm only just getting to know online or who possibly I haven't really talked much with.

It can just be pretty daunting rocking up to someone's house when it's people you don't know IRL.

rosebug
TNN guru

Post by rosebug » Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:42 pm

I remember my first one... a similar feeling to Liz, nearly turned around a few times en route. It was at Cornwall Park and we went across to the cafe across the road after. I remember Liz veerrryyy pregnant, I think you were due in the next couple of weeks Liz. I also remember Kate commenting how clucky she was and really wanted to start trying for #2... Jake was only 5 months old I think!

I was relatively new to TNN, only been here a month I think. I'd just bought my first Zappy Nappy from Janine on TM, and after a few emails realised she was the same one from TNN. So I kind of 'knew' her. Little Matty was about 8 weeks I think.
M2M, was sitting quietly sewing up bibs! It was a typical Auckland day, the weather very indecisive!

But it was nice, I'm glad I went. It was terrifying, but now... 18 months later, I am happy to say that everyone I met there is still a friend!

I agree though, that had it been at someones house I may not have gone. I know how scared I was to go to the next one at CCs place! That was after we realised that most of us were westies!

Whoa... what a novel, sorry bout that, got caught up in the nostalgia!
Marie
SAHMama to 4 gorgeous little ones!
DD#1 is 7! DD#2 is 5! DS & DD#3 are 2!

rosebug
TNN guru

Post by rosebug » Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:42 pm

And Gen... don't be scared!! They are truly lovely ladies... tell them I sent you! :wink:
Marie

Razz
TNN guru

Post by Razz » Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:16 pm

wow was that your first nappicino marie? i feel like i've known you online for ages. i didn't stay long at that one.

i had one of the first ones at my house (before TNN) so was more stressed than nervous :wink:

To be honest now the size of them puts me off going, and usually i won't if i have both the boys. I'm not a big group person.

the western springs one was nice, i remember not quite clicking who you were Liz, remembering thinking that was a huge co-incidence that the only people i knew who used little lambs were both called Liz and both had a daughter named isla :lol: (not my fault you'd only ever posted baby photos of her :wink: )
Rachel, Mama to Nate, Zach and Kaiabean

check out my patterns http://www.ravelry.com/designers/rachel-evans

nikkitheknitter
TNN nerd

Post by nikkitheknitter » Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:17 pm

bizzy wrote:and if youre new and you read the posts about upcoming nappiccinos the people already sound like they know each other really well and you feel like an intruder.

Yep... I felt that way when I first considered going to a nappicino. I never made it!

Might not mind going to one now that I can be sure I wouldn't get hissed at for being a sometimes sposie user. (Which I was when I first joined)
Mama to the Red Headed Devil Child and newbie arriving late Jan 2015.

rosebug
TNN guru

Post by rosebug » Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:34 pm

LOL Razz... yes I agree, it does feel like I've known you for ages. I do vaguely remember you that day. I understand how you feel about the big groups! I did prefer them when they were little! You were able to hold a conversation with everyone in the same room! It was fun and not cramped. We also only had 1 baby each then! Except Heather and Rachael of course! I remember Heather coming along to CCs with all her younger ones. Cajun was so tiny, it was hard to believe he was 2 days older than B. Now he's so much bigger than her!
Marie

GrowingBump
TNN nerd

Post by GrowingBump » Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:56 pm

I went to my first (only so far) nappucino at Janine's place which felt very safe because I know her really well :)

Nappucino's are a bit scarey for me because:
* meeting new people and being in a large group of people is scarey for me anyway
* I am a complete novice at environmentally friendly living and am not much of a homemaker
* Definitely as Bizzy said - it seems like everyone already knows each other

Gotta say though I really enjoyed the one I went to - and was by a long shot the last to leave!
DD1 born Nov 05
DD2 born May 07
DD3 born Apr 09

Minty
TNN oracle

Post by Minty » Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:13 pm

My first one was in a public place (library) so I wasn't nervous about that because I knew I could just turn up, have a look (at all the nappies on display) and then leave pretty much straight away if I didn't feel comfortable.

Conversely if you go to someones house, you don't feel like you can walk in, say 3 words and then leave if you feel a bit awkward. You are sort of compelled to say for a 'reasonable' length of time.

Of course, now that I do know lots of TNN Mums IRL, I don't hesitate to recommend nappiccinos to people (either public, or at someones house), because I've experienced first-hand what a great, interesting, non-threatening bunch of people TNNers are. I've even been game enough to go to a nappiccino in Auckland (and I didn't know anyone IRL from Auckland), and that was a BIG nappiccino.

Now I've just got to get organised and go to another one down here, because I haven't been for ages :oops:
Nic
Two funny, gorgeous DDs.

The art of living is more like wrestling than dancing. — Marcus Aurelius Antoninus

Going button-crazy here. http://www.buttonsbybenji.blogspot.com/

Return to “Cloth Nappy websites and resources (Public)”