Help me understand why...

mandli
TNN guru

Post by mandli » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:05 pm

My first one was the RNW one, that was SCARY (so many people and kids of all ages), I am surprised I went back for more. I think the hardest thing was everyone seemed to know each other and I didn't know anyone.
Lisa, mama to Maya, no more nappies here!

[url=http://www.alterna-tickers.com][img]http://www.alterna-tickers.com/tickers/971631.png[/img][/url]

Janine
TNN nerd

Post by Janine » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:12 pm

My first one was at Razz's (ages ago) and I was really nervous... expecially as I was pregnant and hadn't used any nappies... but I was so full of enthusiasm that I went with my stash and everyone was sooo warm and lovely :)

I then went to a few and I remember them being great fun, but they were small groups and we got to chat comfortably.

I don;t like tham anylonger as the groups have got so big and I am not comfortable in big crowds. I even didn't really like the one at my place! :oops:

I am not sure how to get around this too many people thing... I thought of having a limited numbers nappiccino and having first-in-first-served... but then what if the people I wanted to catch up with didn't come?! :oops:

Its a hard one. Perhaps we need to hire a community centre (my local one is $10 an hour) so there is outdoor fenced play for kids and a big hall so there doesn't seem like so many people?!
Janine
DS-M - 11/03/05
DS-B - 03/09/07
DDs-R & J - 09/06/09

Wisegirl
TNN guru

Post by Wisegirl » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:15 pm

bizzy wrote:and if youre new and you read the posts about upcoming nappiccinos the people already sound like they know each other really well and you feel like an intruder.

:smt045 :smt045 :smt045

I am still yet to go to one. I do find going along to someones house (or gathering in general) where everybody seems to know each other so well rather nerve racking. Even though I you know you are all so very friendly :)

Nikki
TNN nerd

Post by Nikki » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:24 pm

vixnix wrote:I've stopped going now because I'm scared that I've opened my giant-sized yap here at the forum too many times and nobody will speak to me. :oops: :lol: You'd think I'd learn to just keep it shut but nooooo..... :roll:

:lol: I'm secretly glad I'm too far away to make to the Wgtn ones for the same "giant yap problem"... :P :oops:

mandli
TNN guru

Post by mandli » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:39 pm

Nikki wrote:
vixnix wrote:I've stopped going now because I'm scared that I've opened my giant-sized yap here at the forum too many times and nobody will speak to me. :oops: :lol: You'd think I'd learn to just keep it shut but nooooo..... :roll:

:lol: I'm secretly glad I'm too far away to make to the Wgtn ones for the same "giant yap problem"... :P :oops:

Don't be silly both of you. No one would not speak to you I'm sure (they still all seem to speak to me :D )
Lisa, mama to Maya, no more nappies here!

[url=http://www.alterna-tickers.com][img]http://www.alterna-tickers.com/tickers/971631.png[/img][/url]

ariayla

Post by ariayla » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:12 pm

I am usually quite a shy person but knowing Im going to meet people who all have nappies and children in common with me makes it easier.

I love to be able to put names to faces and even though I may not get to talk to everyone (as I suck at makign the 1st move) at a nappicinno, even getting to talk to one person is great.

I took a friend along to the BOP one on friday even though I dont live there, but knowing that everyone there was from TNN made it exciting. Maybe I'm just a weirdo who lives for TNN. :lol:

My friend made me laugh though. She said to me on the way "they're not going to try and convert me like some weird cult are they", shes a sposie user (and proud of it)!! I think I must talk about nappies too much and have threaten to put her child in one.

rosebug
TNN guru

Post by rosebug » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:14 pm

LOL Angela... nothing wrong with 'Living for TNN' I do!!! Even trying to convert people over here! Sorry ladies... might have an influx of ozzies soon!
Marie
SAHMama to 4 gorgeous little ones!
DD#1 is 7! DD#2 is 5! DS & DD#3 are 2!

ClothConvert
TNN nerd

Post by ClothConvert » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:32 pm

wow, thank you ladies, the response have been very insightful. Especially the ones re public place being less threatening and feeling of being an outsider thinking that everyone coming appears to already know each other well.

Nikki, you must know I'm a fan??? if you ever come to Auckland, I'll host one in your honour :-)

for those of you who aren't comfortable with big nappucinos, maybe the only solution is to host mini ones with private invites? If it's a publicised one (ie notified as a nappucino thread) then I think putting number restrictions on it would be mean! Besides our experience have shown that the people that said they'd come to a nappucino and the people that actually make it on the day can be so different.

Nikki
TNN nerd

Post by Nikki » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:46 pm

ClothConvert wrote:Nikki, you must know I'm a fan??? if you ever come to Auckland, I'll host one in your honour :-)

Awww thanks...! I'll remember that, I do come up occasionally. :D

nikkitheknitter
TNN nerd

Post by nikkitheknitter » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:47 am

IF I ever get this planned shop opened... I'd like to host nappiccinos there :D Would looooove to see what the clever ladies are making at home!
(Wish I was that way inclined.... I can't seem to overcome my laziness... and lack of attention to detail :lol: )
Mama to the Red Headed Devil Child and newbie arriving late Jan 2015.

posh
TNN oracle

Post by posh » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:17 am

Wisegirl wrote:
bizzy wrote:and if youre new and you read the posts about upcoming nappiccinos the people already sound like they know each other really well and you feel like an intruder.

:smt045 :smt045 :smt045

I am still yet to go to one. I do find going along to someones house (or gathering in general) where everybody seems to know each other so well rather nerve racking. Even though I you know you are all so very friendly :)

Oh you should come to mine this Friday!! :wink: We are all very friendly and there may not be too many people coming, so relatively quiet! :D
Anastasia - wahm to 3 x Image

SALE & CLEARANCE items!!!

At least Steve Irwin died doing what he loved, tracking wild animals in the open sea. When it's my time to go, I hope I'm online shopping

20 years in the making, but finally achieved!!! --->

posh
TNN oracle

Post by posh » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:18 am

mandli wrote:
Nikki wrote:

Don't be silly both of you. No one would not speak to you I'm sure (they still all seem to speak to me :D )

There are probably dozens of people who would love the chance to get to talk to you both in person! :smt045 I know, I am one of those people! :D
Anastasia - wahm to 3 x Image

SALE & CLEARANCE items!!!

At least Steve Irwin died doing what he loved, tracking wild animals in the open sea. When it's my time to go, I hope I'm online shopping

20 years in the making, but finally achieved!!! --->

Cad0
TNN convert

newbies

Post by Cad0 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:23 am

Maybe some of the 'regulars' could host some limited-invite nappicinos for newbies? I know I'd love to find out more and see some examples of the different types of nappies and ask an expert or two some questions etc, but, as above, everyone seems to already know everyone and I'm terrible at just rocking up and making small talk ... :oops:
That way we'd get some info, and also easily meet a few of the regulars so a normal nappicino wouldn't seem so scary!
Just a thought :)

Sharonnz
TNN guru

Post by Sharonnz » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:36 am

Yeah...I like the idea of specifically focusing on/inviting newbies. I think that was the idea of the Wgtn/Hutt ones being at Petone Community House, but for some of us the daytime public situation doesn't work well...so it takes commitment from the "oldies" who can do public places to keep going to meet the newbies.

At some point everyone has to get over their fear of small talk/meeting new people to be involved...that's how the oldies got to seem so familiar with one another...we met new people and got to know them over a period of time.

Sharon

Gaia
TNN guru

Post by Gaia » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:44 am

Hi!

Most of us didn't 'know' each other before we got chatting online and started to go to nappichinos.

I am really shy and forced myself to go...and so glad I did. :D

I do find the bigger groups overwelming. I like the idea of hiring that community centre near Janine's. It would only cost us all a few $$$ each and save the stress of it being in someone's home. (Yes....I do try and get down to some (not all) of the Auckland meetings to catch up in person)

Any WHANGAREI people interested in a nappichino ..put up your hand.

Would love to get regular meetings happening up here but at the moment no one seems interested except for a few of us who are pretty spread out.
I'm 15 minutes out of town and Katrina is in Dargaville....and Jailee. Will have to wait until next year now as we are all expecting babies :-).

cheers
~Heather~
~Heather~

**Happiness is not having what you want, but wanting what you have. - ANON **

http://overthetoporiginals.wordpress.com/

Return to “Cloth Nappy websites and resources (Public)”