Auckland City Council should provide Cloth nappy subsidies

estepeste
TNN newbie

Auckland City Council should provide Cloth nappy subsidies

Post by estepeste » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:08 pm

Hi everyone

upon doing a bit of reading on the internet, i came across the fact that Dunedin City Council provides a $20 subsidy to their locals to be used towards cloth nappies. Not entirely sure how this is handled practically, but the idea sounds fantastic.

There are obviously lots of cloth nappy users in Auckland, and there might be even more if the Auckland City Council helped interested parties over the initial cost barrier, even if it is just with a $20 voucher.

What do you think?
How can we bring this under their attention properly, to ensure that this happens in the biggest city in our country??

Looking forward to hearing some opinions.

Este Burnett

k8ylou
TNN nerd

Post by k8ylou » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:19 pm

Hi Este, I totally agree with you! In fact, I believe a couple of years ago there was a member who did actively try to get meetings with the council. But I'm unsure of the outcomes.

Since then, there are a number of councils doing 'something' at least. Waitakere has the cloth nappy hire kits, and cloth in hospital (? not sure of this). Christchurch has something else as well, don't they? North Shore council also funded hire kits. These are all models that could be used to show AklCitycouncil what can be done.

I've been thinking about this for a while. Thank you for opening up the discussion. I'm about to have another baby, so this won't be my top priority, but i'm sure TNN will give you as much support in this matter as we can.

hmmmm, Supercity coming up???? wonder if maybe it'd be worth spending the time formulating a really good proposal first, until after all the changes are made.

Kate (co-chair TNN Inc.)

karmiec
TNN oracle

Post by karmiec » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:17 am

Hi!!

k8ylou wrote:Waitakere has the cloth nappy hire kits, and cloth in hospital (? not sure of this).

Waitakere has the cloth education centre in Te Atatu, the hospital only provides cloth and each family who give birth in the area get a trial pack of prefolds and one other style of nappy.

[quote] hmmmm, Supercity coming up???? wonder if maybe it'd be worth spending the time formulating a really good proposal first, until after all the changes are made.

Good point Kate, Wonder if the kits/centre/etc will be handled through the "community boards" or if we can lobby for it to be handled further up and be rolled out across the whole Auckland region?

Este, would you like to help us come up with some ideas?? Come into the committee discussiion area and we'll start up a thread.

:o) Lisa
[TNN Community Liason]
Lisa

CarlaK
TNN guru

Post by CarlaK » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:38 am

karmiec wrote:
Waitakere has the cloth education centre in Te Atatu, the hospital only provides cloth and each family who give birth in the area get a trial pack of prefolds and one other style of nappy.

:o) Lisa
[TNN Community Liason]

is this still happening Lisa? i know for sure that they definitely use the cloth in hospital (YAY!) but as far as i know it was a limited time thing where they gave the nappies away
Carla, Mum of Kaylee - 8, Olivia - 6, Benjamin - 3

Just keep swimming ;)

karmiec
TNN oracle

Post by karmiec » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:56 am

oh bum, your right Carla, they didn't extend that part of the "trial"
But they do discounted hires now

http://www.waitematadhb.govt.nz/LinkCli ... 79&mid=969
Lisa

Amethyst
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Amethyst » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:35 am

The NZNA in conjunction with the Waitakere and Hamilton City councils are holding workshops and providing product to attendees :).
ChCh doesn't do it anymore.
Pooh-Bah, Lord High everything else :roll:
Mamma to 3 wee product testers :king: 12 :king: 10 :queen: 8

Return to “Cloth Nappy websites and resources (Public)”