Cloth Nappy related articles in the media

Xpressogal
TNN convert

Cloth Nappy related articles in the media

Post by Xpressogal » Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:19 pm

I thought it would be interesting to have a place where we could list links we find relating to cloth nappies.

Here are a few I Googled to get us started:

Green MP on Nappy Crusade

Zero Waste - Article includes facts, disposable costs vs cloth costs, tips and resources.

Green Party Information about nappies.

Please add any relevant articles and information you come across.
[img]http://img165.exs.cx/img165/749/clipboard010hr.jpg[/img]

Sandra
TNN nerd

Post by Sandra » Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:40 pm

The Plunket advisory booklet on nappies explains how to use both types.

One advantage of disposables is avoiding the need to wash, dry and iron.

bwaahahahahaha yeah right! like anyone irons their nappies, they show you how to use them in the way most likely to put you off!!!
Homeschooling Mum to, Miss M (4), kindy girl :princess: DS's C (8), J (14)
www.rockpoolhomeschool.org Reviews of curriculum, Articles, Links, News and Events with Australian and New Zealand homeschoolers in mind.

Sandra
TNN nerd

Post by Sandra » Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:43 pm

that zero waste article needs the Nappy Network to give it up to date info on using cloth nappies, and all the current links.
Homeschooling Mum to, Miss M (4), kindy girl :princess: DS's C (8), J (14)
www.rockpoolhomeschool.org Reviews of curriculum, Articles, Links, News and Events with Australian and New Zealand homeschoolers in mind.

Dunners
TNN oracle

Nappy Valley

Post by Dunners » Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:45 pm

Nappy Valley

Article from New Idea p38 17/1/05?

An Auckland family have found a clever way to turn a dirty business into a big business.

Pippa and Maria Jinks are knee deep in nappies – but it’s all for a good cause.

The mother and daughter team are believed to be the first to manufacture fitted hemp nappies in New Zealand and are hoping to convert other mums to using cloth nappies.

Although cloth nappy use in New Zealand is small compared to Britain (only about 10 per cent of New Zealanders use them, compared to the British rate of 25 per cent) Pippa and Maria say the rate here is growing.

Both stress that their fitted nappies dubbed Snazzipants, are not like the old-fashioned cloth nappies because they don’t leak and they don’t have to be soaked in Napisan before washing.

The idea of making their own cloth nappies came when Pippa had her first baby Luka, now 22 months.

‘I planned on using cloth and everyone was very skeptical. They said: “you’ll never stick with it”. Then Luka was born and the nappy products that were available didn’t work – they leaked.

I found there were so many more products available overseas s we decided we could make something that would work for New Zealand conditions and we started designing Snazzipants.’

The pair launched their nappy business in 2003 and have now started making them from hemp. Derived from cannabis plants, hemp is considered one of the most environmentally friendly crops.

‘Hemp is one-and-a-half times more absorbent than cotton so you don’t need layers and layers, so you can have a really trim nappy,’ Pippa adds.

As it is illegal to grow hemp in New Zealand the pair have had to import the fabric from overseas. However, they ensure the nappies are made in New Zealand.

‘The time for cloth has come,’ Maria says. ‘Luka doesn’t have nappy rash at all.’

‘There up to two tones per baby of waste for disposable nappies, and people are looking at the cost,’ Pippa adds.

But they are quick to point out they don’t want to make other mums feel guilty about using disposables.

‘It’s about choice. We jus want people to know there are options. We never go on about the down sides. We just talk about the positives,’ Pippa says.

Using Pippa’s home in Auckland as their base, the pair use their website www.snazzipants.co.nz to sell their range of fitted nappies, which are priced from $20 for cotton and $30 for hemp.

Their customers come from all walks of life but it’s the older, more educated mother who is the most likely to decide to use cloth. Cloth nappies are also popular among rural mums.

The business has become a gib success and now some of their customers have also set up rival cloth nappy operations.

Apart from bing easier on the environment, cloth nappies are much cheaper. It’s estimated a family will spend between $2500 and $3000 on disposable nappies by the time their baby is toilet trained. The use of cloth nappies is about one third of the cost (including the washing and drying costs).

Pippa does not recommend soaking the nappies before washing. Instead she just throws them in the washing machine and dries them in the sunlight to help remove any stains.

’It’s just so easy these days,’ Pippa says.
Leanne
Mum to 3 beautiful children
Image Small and Large pocket patterns available, for a small donation to Unicef. DIY kits also available for $5 each with free pattern. PM or email me for more info...

Darny
TNN guru

Post by Darny » Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:55 pm

I found a great british site linked from the BBC, which has alot of nappy facts, the artical on BBC (which I can't find now grrrr) was all about how some regional councils in britian are pushing for the use of cloth nappies, to reduce the landfill problems they are having.

http://www.wen.org.uk/nappies/facts.htm

smileeah
TNN nerd

Post by smileeah » Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:06 pm

Thanks for typing all that out Leanne.

Cloth might make a comeback!!!
Melissa.

Mum to three boys - 7yrs, 5yrs & 4yrs!

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:28 pm

And another article (just informed about it on the Ozclothnappies forum):

Plunket Should Tell New Parents All Nappy Options
Tuesday, 25 January 2005, 3:56 pm
Press Release: Green Party

http://www.scoop.co.nz/mason/stories/PA0501/S00211.htm
Leanne
Image Small and Large pocket patterns available, for a small donation to Unicef. DIY kits also available for $5 each with free pattern. PM or email me for more info...

smileeah
TNN nerd

Post by smileeah » Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:55 pm

Wow, that is so cool!

I have dropped The Nappy Network web address a couple of times on Trade Me but never thought to ring a journalist. Not a bad idea.
Melissa.

Mum to three boys - 7yrs, 5yrs & 4yrs!

Janine
TNN nerd

Post by Janine » Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:06 am

owwww I so love the plunket article!! Yah!

Someone needs to do the same thing to Parents Centre, but I guess they are not funded by the government so is a little less applicable!

Go Nappy Network... Go Cloth.... Yah!

Cheers
Janine
Janine
DS-M - 11/03/05
DS-B - 03/09/07
DDs-R & J - 09/06/09

ClothConvert
TNN nerd

Post by ClothConvert » Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:34 pm

Thanks Leanne for that link. I love this quote the best:

"Having your toddler in a modern cloth nappy is the latest in eco-chic."
(Mike Ward, Green MP)

ClothConvert
TNN nerd

Post by ClothConvert » Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:37 pm

Hey Janine, Parents centre is also heavily sponsored by Huggies. I have been in contact with the West Auckland Parents Centre branch re the cloth nappy info they provide late last year. I will follow up with the President soon.

AbbeHG
TNN nerd

Post by AbbeHG » Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:22 am

I don't know if this site has been put up already.
It is a US one

National Association of Diaper Services NADS.
http://www.diapernet.com/whycloth.htm

It has 'moving' pics of how to do some nappy folds.

Further down the page are short articles on :

Disposable diapers linked to asthma.
and
Increased scrotal temperature in single-use diaper may lead to male infertility.

AbbeHG
TNN nerd

Post by AbbeHG » Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:26 am

Good little article for parents starting out with cloth. Buying tips and advice.

'10 Things I Wish Someone Had Told Me About Cloth Diapering'
by Cathy Cagle, Diaper Diva
Baby Belle Bottoms

See http://www.cutofcloth.com

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:45 am

Received the following on the 'clothnappyadvocates' list - thought I'd add it all in case some of you are keen (any ideas on who to write to?)

Mike Ward is kicking up a nice stink about Plunket's partisan practices in the face of corporate sponsorship:

http://www.scoop.co.nz/mason/stories/PA0501/S00211.htm

I'd urge our NZ members to write nice letters of support to him, CC'd to political party heads/health ministers/Plunket flunkies as you deem it appropriate.

Lara
Leanne

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:28 am

That was on the Radio Sport news this morning at 7:30am.

They didn't mention Mike Ward (although he is certainly the advocate) but they did say thenappynetwork.

So have a listen to the radio today ladies :)

nappydad

Return to “Cloth Nappy websites and resources (Public)”