Overlocked edge for wipes

NPMum
TNN nerd

Overlocked edge for wipes

Post by NPMum » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:10 pm

All my wipes have been made with zig-zagging but now I have an old Globe overlocker. I have been using it for a while for dress-making and now want to make some wipes for friends having babies soon.
With dress-making the loose thread is usually caught up in the seam so there is no risk of it unravelling.
How do I overlock a wipe and stop the threads from undoing? Do I need to tie them off? I haven't decided yet if I will do them with square or rounded corners, I suppose it depends which is going to be easiet.
Any tips would be appreciated.
They are going to be cotton flannelette.

Happi
TNN guru

Re: Overlocked edge for wipes

Post by Happi » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:07 pm

cut the threads with about 3cm length. thread these through a wide eyed needle and run bak under the o'locking.
Paulette
mummy to Zachary 19, Abigail 18, Sh'Kyna 16, Elisheva 14, Michel ~0~, Davi-Ann 12, Thaddeus 10, Benaiah 9, Katriel 6, Rafayella 5, Eibhilinn 19 mo, someone new dec14

Claude30
TNN guru

Post by Claude30 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:42 am

What happi said - But in saying that I have made square and rounded edge ones and have just cut the ends off and havent had any unraveling yet (3 years and counting). But rounded corners are easier as you only have one end to deal with.
Kiley - SAHM to - Caycee (8/03), Stefanie (6/05), Brody (12/06), Keegan (5/10) and
Image Image

Tentacles
TNN guru

Post by Tentacles » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:52 am

Claude30 wrote:What happi said - But in saying that I have made square and rounded edge ones and have just cut the ends off and havent had any unraveling yet (3 years and counting). But rounded corners are easier as you only have one end to deal with.
Exactly this. Some of mine are over 5 years old and the flannelette has worn through before any signs of issues with overlocking. I just overlap a little bit at the end and then cut off.
Alison - Currently SAHM to DS (04/07) and DD (09/10).

http://kiwicraftychemist.blogspot.com

meow
TNN guru

Post by meow » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:27 am

I use my sewing machine on zigzag stitch to secure the loose ends :)

nakigal
TNN nerd

Post by nakigal » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:48 pm

Tentacles wrote:
Claude30 wrote:What happi said - But in saying that I have made square and rounded edge ones and have just cut the ends off and havent had any unraveling yet (3 years and counting). But rounded corners are easier as you only have one end to deal with.
Exactly this. Some of mine are over 5 years old and the flannelette has worn through before any signs of issues with overlocking. I just overlap a little bit at the end and then cut off.
Me too. On the first batch I made I threaded them back through, second batch I just overlapped and then ran it off and cut it. I have done all my inserts like this too and I haven't had anything coming undone yet. And yes, definately rounded corners!
Deborah
Mum to DD1 J 31/08/07 and DD2 P 06/10/09 - my two little princesses, and now a wee prince DS1 C 04/04/11

NPMum
TNN nerd

Post by NPMum » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:54 pm

Tentacles wrote:
Awesome this sounds the easiest way. I might make a couple of practice ones and put them in my stash before I start giving them away.

Return to “DIY nappies”