Best polarfleece for covers?

georgiegirl
TNN newbie

Best polarfleece for covers?

Post by georgiegirl » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:12 pm

Hi there,

I have found a cute pattern for making fleece soakers, but the fleece I have used (from spotlight) doesn't seem to be doing it's job - as soon as bubs wets his nappy (I'm using bamboo fitteds) we are getting damp patches on his clothes. Can anyone recommend the best sort of fleece to use for covers? (I would love to use wool soakers, but bubs eczema means wool is not an option right now)

Thanks!

Foxtrot
TNN nerd

Re: Best polarfleece for covers?

Post by Foxtrot » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:22 pm

On commercially made fleece covers they often advertise it's '200 weight fleece' (which means 320 to 380 grams per yard according to Malden Mills) so if you can find some of that or heavier it should work (here's a heavyweight one - http://www.trademe.co.nz/crafts/fabric/ ... 455787.htm). Also - how many layers does your pattern have through the wet zone? All the fleece covers I have have 2 layers through the middle, so if yours don't I would add another layer.

Another trick I have heard of to 'waterproof' fleece covers is to rinse them with fabric softener as this will coat the fibres and repel water (don't fabric softener your nappies too of course though or they will go waterproof too)

Hope this helps
Bernadine
Image Image Image
Angel baby Feb 2010

“A person who has good thoughts cannot ever be ugly. You can have a wonky nose and a crooked mouth and a double chin and stick-out teeth, but if you have good thoughts they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely.” Roald Dahl

Emma
TNN guru

Post by Emma » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:42 pm

Yep give the fabric softener a go. It worked really well on our fleece covers :D
Emma
Mum to 5 lovely children

georgiegirl
TNN newbie

Post by georgiegirl » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:09 am

Thanks so much for your replies :)

I have got 2 layers of fleece through the wetzone, so that should be all good, but I'd not tried the fabric softener trick before! I have just washed them using fabric softener in the rinse cycle, so hopefully that will help!

Thanks again :)

Return to “DIY nappies”