Balance between drying and absorbency in NB fitteds

emmarangi
TNN newbie

Balance between drying and absorbency in NB fitteds

Post by emmarangi » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:18 pm

HI there, I am looking at making some fitted nappies for number two, as I didn't really like the prefolds I tried in the early days for my first. I am wondering what people would recommend in order to get enough absorbency, but not take forever to dry. I'm looking at buying fabric through green beans, so pretty much anything they stock is an option. I have used Itti Bitti SIO's with my son, and don't really like all the extra bits on the inside, I mostly have ended up using pockets with him. Could I make a "fitted pocket" with micro fleece and an absorbent layer of bamboo instead of PUL, and stuff it for extra absorbency? Or is it too hard to get inserts into a newborn size? Am I better just to sew in a couple of extra layers as an internal soaker? Bubs is not due til mid Jan, so hopefully will have good hot drying weather! But also plenty of time to "research", and um and ah about different options - not necessarily a good thing! Advice on what has worked in terms of number and type of layers also appreciated!! I've started stocking up on a few extra covers from TM, so not too worried about that side of things.

MJ(Sam's Mummy)
TNN nerd

Re: Balance between drying and absorbency in NB fitteds

Post by MJ(Sam's Mummy) » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:41 pm

The best fitteds I made were out of towelling (literally old towels lol) and I had both cotton and bamboo cotton. I made them with two layers of that and then did a fold out bit for the centre with 1 layer each of towelling, microfibre and hemp with a microfleece stay dry layer on top. It meant it dried fast, especially in summer, but had enough for my kids at night. I seem to remember putting an insert under the fold out bit for ds1 who was a heavy wetter (memory is a bit vague sorry, he's 7 now).

I suspect something like bamboo would be great, but that was before it was readily available and hemp was what everyone was using. But tbh, I wouldn't really do anything differently if I were to make new ones, except maybe using toweling velour instead of plain towels because it feels nicer :D

If you're doing nb sized ones though, I'd just do them as absorbant as you need because they'll be easy to dry in summer and you'll be into a bigger size by winter.
Maree
DS1 - Sam 5th April 2007
DS2 - Tom 9th Nov 2008
DD1 - Isla 25th Feb 2014

Kaz
TNN guru

Post by Kaz » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:23 pm

For my last one in naps I made her prem size ones with a double layer sewn in and then used pre folds sitting inside the cover as extra absorbency. It helped stop the poo coming out of the fitted as it was nice and snug but there was plenty of soaking power with the pre fold. :D

Stuffable pockets at that size can be a bit tricky to stuff because they are teeny.
You can never really take control of your life but you can control how you choose to live it.

emmarangi
TNN newbie

Post by emmarangi » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:01 am

OK, so I had a terrible sleep last night, so had lots of time to think about nappies :roll:

I came up with the following combo for newborn fitteds, and would love feedback from those with experience. Especially with regards fabric weights! Is not had my hands on any of this stuff yet, and am worried they will either end up too bulky, or not absorbent enough if I pick the wrong weight!

Outer layer: bamboo velour - 340gsm. (Will this stuff dye up with food dye?)
Middle layer: bamboo french terry - 400gsm
2 layer soaker sewn to middle layer
Soaker layer 1: bamboo french terry - 400gsm
Soaker layer 2: microfibre (is this necessary/helpful, should I just do another bamboo terry?)
Inside layer: microfleece

I tried to choose stretchy fabrics to give a bit of flexibility depending on how big bubs ends up, I'm assuming the bamboo terry has stretch?

I decided if I make enough drying time in middle of summer will hopefully not be an issue, and I have some prefolds still as backup. Kaz, I really like the idea of being able to add extra absorbency between nappy and cover if I need it, and have stacks of microfibre inserts here if I need to do that!

Am I overthinking this? Starting to feel a little obsessed! :smt044

Claire
TNN oracle

Post by Claire » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:07 pm

I made heaps when the kids were little and found the best way was like this:

the booster part is sewn along the top so you can peg it on the line by the top of the booster. Only two layers in the body and booster .. but the booster folds in half to make four layers iykwim.
You only need it to be stretchy in the body, doesn't matter about the booster

emmarangi
TNN newbie

Post by emmarangi » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:39 pm

They look great Claire, what fabrics did you use?

Claire
TNN oracle

Post by Claire » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:36 am

umm..good question, it's a v long time ago :lol: . The body part was cotton fleece from spotlight, not sure if they sell it anymore but it was basically a fluffy cotton knit. The soakers were all different depending on what I had around - hemp or microfibre or bamboo.. just whatever. And then there was just a strip of microfleece on the top of the soaker as a stray dry bit.

Return to “DIY nappies”