Advice on fabric combos for fitted night nappies pls

khef
TNN addict

Advice on fabric combos for fitted night nappies pls

Post by khef » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:25 pm

Hiya, I am planning on making some sized fitted night nappies for my boys and just cannot pick which fabric, too many choices out there! I usually get my fabrics from greenbeans and they have even more choice now so I'm just not sure :?

So what combos have you sewed up with success? :detective:

Also what do you think of using something like this: http://www.bamboofabricstore.com.au/Sho ... -Terry.htm? 'This knit is made up of 70% bamboo, 28% organic cotton and a base of 2% polyester. At 300gsm this fabric is great for quick dry flats / pre-folds.'

TIA :D

lilmonster
TNN nerd

Re: Advice on fabric combos for fitted night nappies pls

Post by lilmonster » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:52 am

http://bumbasics.co.nz/cart/index.php?m ... ducts_id=4
This stuff is awesome!! and a tnner is the owner
Hayley: Mum to 2girls (dd1 oct 05 and dd2 april 09), 2 boys (ds1 april 11 and ds2 april 13)

sjl
TNN nerd

Post by sjl » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:50 am

My fitted nappies I used
- an outer layer of a sports knit fabric (like flexi tots do)
- two sewn in booster layers - one of microfibre and one of bamboo fleece
- an inner layer of bamboo velour
- a snap in booster made up as a double fold of bamboo velour.

I also lay on another microfibre booster - (one of the baby first ones) on top.

My fleece and velour I got from the aus Bamboo fabrics place you linked to - they are really nice fabrics.

I prefer knit fabrics for my main layers of fitteds and only use plain weave stuff (like the microfibre) for booster layers but it's all a matter of personal preference :D
Image Image

khef
TNN addict

Post by khef » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:31 pm

Thankyou for the replies :D
lilmonster wrote:http://bumbasics.co.nz/cart/index.php?m ... ducts_id=4
This stuff is awesome!! and a tnner is the owner
Lilmonster is this stuff stretchy or just like normal towels?
sjl wrote:My fitted nappies I used
- an outer layer of a sports knit fabric (like flexi tots do)
- two sewn in booster layers - one of microfibre and one of bamboo fleece
- an inner layer of bamboo velour
- a snap in booster made up as a double fold of bamboo velour.

I also lay on another microfibre booster - (one of the baby first ones) on top.

My fleece and velour I got from the aus Bamboo fabrics place you linked to - they are really nice fabrics.

I prefer knit fabrics for my main layers of fitteds and only use plain weave stuff (like the microfibre) for booster layers but it's all a matter of personal preference :D
Sjl this was kinda what I had in mind, but wasn't sure about sewn in boosters or just lay in ones. I wasn't sure about sewing in some microfibre either so thanks for the info, and also the feedback on that bamboo fabric shop :D

Anyone else have a recipe for success?

piggywiggy
TNN nerd

Post by piggywiggy » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:40 pm

I made my night time fitteds for DS (11 months) out of old flat nappies. Two layer sewen in soaker in between the outler layers (does that make sense?) It uses nigh on nearly one whole flat nappy to make each fitted. I then use all sorts of odds and sods as boosters, both inside the fitted and then outside but inside a cover. It means that the nappies dry in a reasonable period of time but I can still get the absorbancy that we need. If the boosters that are added to the inside of the nappy do not have a stay dry layer on top (like microfleece or suede or minky etc) I just use a spare piece of microfleece that's been cut to a rectangle.

I have bamboo that has been cut into long lengths about 30cm wide that I use like a flat, fold to the shape I want and then place outside the fitted but inside the cover. I use bummis wraps for covers and often whisper pants over the top - cause my little boy can be a super pee-er.

The only reason I never went with new fabrics etc is that I had a huge stack of old flat nappies and I'm too cheap to buy more fabric if I don't need to. :D

I hope that sort of makes some sense.
Catherine
Working mumma to D (march 08) and N (dec 10)

lilmonster
TNN nerd

Post by lilmonster » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:51 pm

Hmmmm probably more like normal towels, it has a lil stretch to it but then towels do too lol
Hayley: Mum to 2girls (dd1 oct 05 and dd2 april 09), 2 boys (ds1 april 11 and ds2 april 13)

khef
TNN addict

Post by khef » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:26 pm

piggywiggy wrote:I made my night time fitteds for DS (11 months) out of old flat nappies. Two layer sewen in soaker in between the outler layers (does that make sense?) It uses nigh on nearly one whole flat nappy to make each fitted. I then use all sorts of odds and sods as boosters, both inside the fitted and then outside but inside a cover. It means that the nappies dry in a reasonable period of time but I can still get the absorbancy that we need. If the boosters that are added to the inside of the nappy do not have a stay dry layer on top (like microfleece or suede or minky etc) I just use a spare piece of microfleece that's been cut to a rectangle.

I have bamboo that has been cut into long lengths about 30cm wide that I use like a flat, fold to the shape I want and then place outside the fitted but inside the cover. I use bummis wraps for covers and often whisper pants over the top - cause my little boy can be a super pee-er.

The only reason I never went with new fabrics etc is that I had a huge stack of old flat nappies and I'm too cheap to buy more fabric if I don't need to. :D

I hope that sort of makes some sense.
Makes perfect sense thankyou :D
Hmm yes drying time should be factored in I guess, I get annoyed when I have to shuffle everything around to get them dry. And I do like your point about free fabric, I impulse buy fabrics which I could use I guess.
lilmonster wrote:Hmmmm probably more like normal towels, it has a lil stretch to it but then towels do too lol
Thanks for your reply :D That bamboo does look lovely.

I do wonder if I am just procrastinating a bit, guess I should just make some, its the planning stage that I really love :rotfl:

sjl
TNN nerd

Post by sjl » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:27 am

khef wrote: I do wonder if I am just procrastinating a bit, guess I should just make some, its the planning stage that I really love :rotfl:
glad I'm not the only one - I dither no end about "I could put this with that" or no "maybe the other one would be better" then "if I did it this way I could use something else" and by the time I've come up with ten options I can't decide. :lol:
Image Image

khef
TNN addict

Post by khef » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:26 pm

glad I'm not the only one - I dither no end about "I could put this with that" or no "maybe the other one would be better" then "if I did it this way I could use something else" and by the time I've come up with ten options I can't decide. :lol:[/quote]

Too true :smt044
And finally went through my fabrics today and think I will use your approach, really should use up what I have seeing as there will be no more babies here to buy stuff for.

Return to “DIY nappies”