Fast absorbing alternatives to microfibre

annmaree
TNN convert

Fast absorbing alternatives to microfibre

Post by annmaree » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:15 am

I'm making some fitted naps for DD and so far I've been using a bamboo microfibre combo.

I'm at my wit's end with the microfibre though. I can't take the white fluff that goes every where when I'm cutting and sewing it. :rant:

I don't mind that the bamboo French terry does that a little bit cos at least it's a natural product and it doesn't static to everything the way microfibre does. But I spend as much time vacuuming the microfibre fluff up as I do working with it. Not to mention that my little girl is probably inhaling the fluff floating around. (Our house is small and there's only space for me to sew in our living area.)

Anyway... rant over...

My question is does anyone have some insight on fabrics I could use instead of microfibre as a faster (than bamboo) absorbing option underneath microfleece? Would cotton be faster absorbing than bamboo? Or do I just flag the microfleece all together and have a natural velour fabric as the next to skin later since many people seem to report that it has a similar 'stay dry' effect to microfleece?

ditto
TNN guru

Re: Fast absorbing alternatives to microfibre

Post by ditto » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:38 am

Cotton velour isn't as stay-dry as microfleece.

Cotton velour towelling is a good alternative to microfibre - I prefer it. Absorbency is similar and it doesn't fluff the same or stick to the rough bits on your hands.
Mama to Braden (5/05), Rosalia (6/08), Corin (3/10) and Annelise (2/14)

annmaree
TNN convert

Post by annmaree » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:20 am

ditto wrote: Cotton velour towelling is a good alternative to microfibre
Does anyone know where I could get some? I did some googling and all I came up with was buying cotton velour towels made by Citta design. At almost $50 each that would be too pricey on a per metre basis.

ditto
TNN guru

Post by ditto » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:24 am

You can definitely buy them cheaper than that as towels at KMart/Farmers etc. Fabric Warehouse used to have it on the roll but I haven't seen it there for a while.
Mama to Braden (5/05), Rosalia (6/08), Corin (3/10) and Annelise (2/14)

hannah
TNN guru

Post by hannah » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:36 am

Have you had problems just using straight bamboo? the bulk of our inserts are and we don't get leaks :) Another downside to microfibre is if any thing starts to get whiffy it will.
Hannah, mama of M 15yrs ♥ , L 13yrs ♥ and A 3yrs ♥
2 teens, 1 preschooler-eeek!

http://www.locket.co.nz

annmaree
TNN convert

Post by annmaree » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:08 pm

I like how microfibre sucks in the moisture quite quickly to keep her dry. But I think I will stick with just the bamboo now and see how we go. Or maybe hemp... There are too many options! :)

Maybe half a dozen bamboo fitteds and half a dozen hemp ones. A bit of an experiment to see which works the best. The scientist in me will love it! :)

Return to “DIY nappies”