Viv - I have a quilt question please......

beccahv
TNN guru

Viv - I have a quilt question please......

Post by beccahv » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:08 pm

.....I want to make a couple of lap size quilts this year (finally, but damn it...this is going to be the year :wink: ), is it possible to use old woolen blankets as batting?
Bec - Lucky Mama to Luca (July 2005) & Alexander (May 2008) :-)

grizle
TNN nerd

Re: Viv - I have a quilt question please......

Post by grizle » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:37 pm

I say yes you can. I know a few years back lot's of people trawled the op shops hunting out old wool blankets for quilts.

Viv might have more idea how well they quilt and wash etc, I've never tried it.
Amanda - Mum to 3 beautiful boys

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:42 pm

I had plans to use a wool blanket (I was too cheap to pay retail for batting - but then managed to get batting cheap from Hancocks of Panducah with free shipping). Anyway, the thing I found limiting was that the size of the blanket was too small for intended bed quilt. It should be fine for a lap quilt though.

I imagine that the quilting side of things will be thicker & heavier, but if you're doing simple quilting e.g. straight lines, I would think it would be fine.

ETA: I put the blanket through the frontload washer on the hottest setting I could to get it to preshrink a bit. That way it could be washed like any cotton item (I usually only wash at 40 degrees anyway) and no fear of shrinkage of the woollen blanket through neglect/hot wash etc.
Leanne
Mum to 3 beautiful children
Image Small and Large pocket patterns available, for a small donation to Unicef. DIY kits also available for $5 each with free pattern. PM or email me for more info...

Vivianne
TNN guru

Post by Vivianne » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:41 pm

Yep - what Leanne said :lol: I have, but they do make VERY heavy quilts, I wouldn't recommend them for lap quilts, only single for beds. Cam has one, so does my niece. I used a recyled old check blanket for one (hot washed and then dried in the dryer before use for both, that way there will be no more shrinkage and they can be machine washed), the other I used a very thin lambswool blanket, that worked a bit better. HTH. Either way, very heavy for quilting, the biggest problem was breaking heaps of needles when my bobbin runs out 8-[ :twitch:

ditto
TNN guru

Post by ditto » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:01 pm

I have tried it but my machine hated it and the thread kept breaking so often that I gave up.
Mama to Braden (5/05), Rosalia (6/08), Corin (3/10) and Annelise (2/14)

beccahv
TNN guru

Post by beccahv » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:06 pm

Thanks everyone.........I will put that down as a no then :wink: . The actual quilting part is what is freaking me the *^&*%& out so anything that makes that part difficult is so very much out :twitch: . I want to make something like this http://pinterest.com/pin/212654413626725011/ :mrgreen: .......not for any particular reason, more that it's on my 101 in 1001 list and I do not like to fail 8-[ !!!!

Vivianne
TNN guru

Post by Vivianne » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:09 pm

Nice pattern, can be tricky to line up the blocks though (so they line up downwards, make sure you pin, or use a pattern with random blocks, it will be easier). Cotton batting is the easiest or bamboo. I should come teach you :wink:

beccahv
TNN guru

Post by beccahv » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:15 pm

Vivianne wrote:Nice pattern, can be tricky to line up the blocks though (so they line up downwards, make sure you pin, or use a pattern with random blocks, it will be easier). Cotton batting is the easiest or bamboo. I should come teach you :wink:
I can totally see the advantage of random.......I have slight retentiveness issues :smt044 !! And yes you should come teach me, it would make my life a lot simpler :wink: ..........actually what we should do is organise a craft retreat and then we can all learn a few new things and have some time away from our blessings :mrgreen: !!

Vivianne
TNN guru

Post by Vivianne » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:19 pm

I was thinking about thos cheap night flyer fares :wink: Hope they have them later in the year. I'd love to come teach quilting or sewing to anyone who wants a helping hand .

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:20 pm

Nice pattern - have repinned it.

Go for fusible batting :oops: I also add a few pins (safety) through out the quilt & especially along the edges which tend to loosen a bit due to being rolled & re-rolled & fed through the space. Or use a quilters basting spray to start with (the fusible is really easy - iron layers together, peel back & re-adjust as needed).

I've bought queen size fusible cotton batting from Hancocks in the past - I am waiting for them to do another free shipping offer :oops: http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/Item--i ... OppQK7j7EM is the one I bought
Leanne
Mum to 3 beautiful children
Image Small and Large pocket patterns available, for a small donation to Unicef. DIY kits also available for $5 each with free pattern. PM or email me for more info...

sable
Spinning Goddess

Post by sable » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:23 pm

I've made 2 couch quilts using old blankets. They are harder to quilt due to the weight, I only did straight line quilting on them, stitch-in-the-ditch but they have a very satisfying weight to them. Nothing nicer than being wrapped in one on the couch in winter, my brother and his wife love the second one too. I did this: http://raciebaby.blogspot.co.nz/2012/12 ... -love.html, second photo down.
Rachelle
http://raciebaby.blogspot.com/

Vivianne
TNN guru

Post by Vivianne » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:25 pm

I've never used fusible batting, I usually pin, but have just found a good link showing a good way to thread baste, I'm gonna try that next time.

beccahv
TNN guru

Post by beccahv » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:30 pm

Vivianne wrote:I was thinking about thos cheap night flyer fares :wink: Hope they have them later in the year. I'd love to come teach quilting or sewing to anyone who wants a helping hand .

Arhhhhh.....good thinking, I imigaine there would be lots of Auckland TNNers that would like a bit of a hand with quilting 8-)

grizle
TNN nerd

Post by grizle » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:45 pm

Vivianne wrote:I've never used fusible batting, I usually pin, but have just found a good link showing a good way to thread baste, I'm gonna try that next time.
The lady's at the bernina store introduced me to 505 adhesive spray the other day. Made quilting so much easier.
Amanda - Mum to 3 beautiful boys

Vivianne
TNN guru

Post by Vivianne » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:05 pm

I don't use 505 either. Not to be picky, but I can't stand the smell. I personally get a better finish without it (I smooth as I go and can readjust easier), I've done plenty both ways. I guess too I'm the ultimate miser, if I have a 2 or more inches either side of the quilt and I haven't used a spray I can use that bit later. Tight eh? And with the amount of quilts I make it would cost me a bomb.

Return to “DIY everything else”