toy storage box..

Claire
TNN oracle

toy storage box..

Post by Claire » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:01 pm

hi
I'm working on a new thing to sell (get bored making the same things all the time :lol: )...
It's a play mat that converts into a storage cube. I'm wondering if anyone would mind helping me.... what size do you like toy boxes for small toys.. eg a farm play mat for little animals.
We have fairly big plastic cubes for toys but I am wondering if they really need to be that large or if they bit better being a little smaller if they're only for one type of toy. Sorry, I hope that makes sense
Anyone got any ideas?

beccahv
TNN guru

Re: toy storage box..

Post by beccahv » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:07 pm

We had one of these:

http://www.elctoys.co.nz/p-16792-dino-mini-storage.aspx

....it was too small and drove me a bit nuts, but the bigger version is too big ITMS?? I would want it to be about a third bigger......I can't find actual dimensions though and I gave ours to Hospice so I can't check sorry :? . I do like those fold-up barns etc that I've seen around on blogs, they also seem sturdier.........another issue with the above one is when I picked it up with the handles it squished in the box . Not sure if any of that is what you're looking for but I hipe it helps :mrgreen:
Bec - Lucky Mama to Luca (July 2005) & Alexander (May 2008) :-)

Kaz
TNN guru

Post by Kaz » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:23 pm

I have something like that if you'd like to measure it :D
You can never really take control of your life but you can control how you choose to live it.

Claire
TNN oracle

Post by Claire » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:29 pm

cheers :D
It's not really a hard thing to make. I just don't know about sizing. Being fabric it's pretty useless being too big.
beccahv wrote:We had one of these:

http://www.elctoys.co.nz/p-16792-dino-mini-storage.aspx

....it was too small and drove me a bit nuts, but the bigger version is too big ITMS?? I would want it to be about a third bigger......I can't find actual dimensions though and I gave ours to Hospice so I can't check sorry :? . I do like those fold-up barns etc that I've seen around on blogs, they also seem sturdier.........another issue with the above one is when I picked it up with the handles it squished in the box . Not sure if any of that is what you're looking for but I hipe it helps :mrgreen:
oh that one looks more like a cross with a bag really eh? I was thinking about making little activity/play mats that fold up into a messenger style bag.. but I did wonder if it would end up being too small to bother with. My kids are a bit grown out of carrying little toys around like that now... although missy might like one for her ponies :lol:

sjl
TNN nerd

Post by sjl » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:44 pm

I've done playmat/bags I think they were around 1.1 m square when laid flat - though they were actually octagonal in shape. There's a pic in the toddler swap thread or I can load some others up if that'd help.
I also have in the WIP pile a fold up box playmat that had the sides at about 25cm with the opened up playmat being a bit over a metre in diameter - I'd planned it so that there was extra fabric at the top once the zips/snaps were done up that would have a drawstring to seal the top rather than having a separate lid, I'm not sure how it'll actually work out though :lol: The extra top/drawstring fabric also meant that it was a more decent sized playmat for the size of box.
Image Image

Claire
TNN oracle

Post by Claire » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:52 pm

I also have in the WIP pile a fold up box playmat that had the sides at about 25cm with the opened up playmat being a bit over a metre in diameter - I'd planned it so that there was extra fabric at the top once the zips/snaps were done up that would have a drawstring to seal the top rather than having a separate lid, I'm not sure how it'll actually work out though The extra top/drawstring fabric also meant that it was a more decent sized playmat for the size of box.
that's just what I was thinking! although I've only made a lidless one so far so as you say...not sure it'll work LOL... I figure that it it doesn't then I could just do a flap lid... wouldn't be as good though eh. It's so fun working out the best way to make things!! :D After I make a couple I always end up changing them almost completely.. but its the working it out that's the fun bit. Hope other people are like that too and I'm not a freak 8-[

beccahv
TNN guru

Post by beccahv » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:59 pm

Claire wrote:
I also have in the WIP pile a fold up box playmat that had the sides at about 25cm with the opened up playmat being a bit over a metre in diameter - I'd planned it so that there was extra fabric at the top once the zips/snaps were done up that would have a drawstring to seal the top rather than having a separate lid, I'm not sure how it'll actually work out though The extra top/drawstring fabric also meant that it was a more decent sized playmat for the size of box.
that's just what I was thinking! although I've only made a lidless one so far so as you say...not sure it'll work LOL... I figure that it it doesn't then I could just do a flap lid... wouldn't be as good though eh. It's so fun working out the best way to make things!! :D After I make a couple I always end up changing them almost completely.. but its the working it out that's the fun bit. Hope other people are like that too and I'm not a freak 8-[

Not sewing but one of the boys Christmas presents was a wooden elven castle that a friend of Nova's made, it was a variation on a fairy house that he's made a few times. He showed me the first fairy house which he made for his daughter, and while it truly is a work of art, as he's refined his 'pattern' he's removed handles, altered wall shapes etc...........so I'd imagine you're in very goo company Claire 8-) .
Bec - Lucky Mama to Luca (July 2005) & Alexander (May 2008) :-)

sjl
TNN nerd

Post by sjl » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:16 pm

Claire wrote:

Well you know what they say about great minds and all. :wink:
And no you are most definitely not alone...

I should dig mine out and finish it then we can compare notes after!
Image Image

Return to “DIY everything else”