Help me plan how to do my next quilt

jennyo
TNN nerd

Help me plan how to do my next quilt

Post by jennyo » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:23 pm

So I'm making a quilt for my DD for her 5th birthday in March. I have nearly finished piecing the top - it should be done tonight.
I modelled it on this: http://www.fourpawsquilting.com/images/ ... ndsPtn.jpg

But I'd love to make it reversible and I :smt049 :smt049 :smt049 http://pinterest.com/pin/169096160979307122/ and have the fabric for it.

I'm trying to wrap my head around the best way to combine both. I :smt049 the individually quilted blocks on the second one, but that would involve quilting the back and front separately. So I want to talk this through this with you gals and see if you think I'm being crazily over ambitious for my experience (and probably skill level! :smt005 )

1. Quilt the top to the batting.
2. Quilt the back (possibly quilt as you go, but I've never done that and would need guidance on it because I find THAT hard to get my head around too!)
3. Here's where I get stuck - somehow I need to make sure the layers don't come apart in the middle even though the would be bound together on the sides. The only options I can think of is making the pattern on the back similar to the front (without the white sashings - probably like bricks but still on the diagonal) so that I could stitch in the ditch and have both sides line up. Very tricky and risky though!!
Or still do it like bricks like in the example and somehow finding points that are the same throughout the quilt and just 'quilt on the spot' through the layers but not do actual lines if that makes sense? (so kind of like tying it, but with the machine, and so hopefully it wouldn't be too noticeable). Don't even know if that would work!!

Anybody else got any ideas or tips on how I'd go about this? :detective: I look forward to hearing what you come up with!

Thanks!!

Vivianne
TNN guru

Re: Help me plan how to do my next quilt

Post by Vivianne » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:32 pm

Quilt as you go would be my preferred option. There are some good tutes online.

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:55 pm

That first link isn't working for me Jenny :(

It looks like the 2nd link is "quilted" in each block, then cut to size & joined, eh. My only idea about joining both together is tying?
Leanne
Mum to 3 beautiful children
Image Small and Large pocket patterns available, for a small donation to Unicef. DIY kits also available for $5 each with free pattern. PM or email me for more info...

jennyo
TNN nerd

Post by jennyo » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:09 am

Thanks ladies

Here's the link again http://pinterest.com/pin/169096160980741459/

I've been googling and it IS possible to machine tie a quilt (I didn't know whether it was an accepted method!). So I think I'lll do that, just got to figure out the quilt as you go. All the tutorials I've seen though have small joining strips between blocks. Off to google whether it's possible to do it without them. Anyone know?

Vivianne
TNN guru

Post by Vivianne » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:26 am

Jenny, check out this tute. Might help. http://sewtakeahike.typepad.com/sewtake ... t-one.html

jennyo
TNN nerd

Post by jennyo » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:26 pm

Oo that's a good one, thanks!

jennyo
TNN nerd

Post by jennyo » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:38 pm

Right, I've finished the quilt top and have quilted about 1/4 of it. I have run out of thread though, so have to get some more before I continue with that (btw where's the best place to get bigger rolls of good quality thread - 1000m probably. Last time I paid $16/ roll for gutermann which seemed pretty $$, but my machine doesn't like the cheap stuff).

So I've now cut the blocks for the back and am starting to quilt my first block. I'm using flannel as the 'batting' but the quilting isn't showing up as well as I thought it might because it's not thick enough. I know other people quilt with flannel as the batting so I'm presuming this is just expected and you don't get that same bubbliness you do when quilting with batting that has loft. It does still look ok, and I guess I don't really have much choice when I don't want the quilt to be too thick (since it will have 2 'battings' in it).

Return to “DIY everything else”