Major quilting problem - HELP!

jennyo
TNN nerd

Major quilting problem - HELP!

Post by jennyo » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:04 pm

I finished my quilt top and am trying to baste it, but I feel like :gaah: :gaah: :gaah: and :boohoo: :boohoo: :boohoo: . I used this kind of pattern http://pinterest.com/pin/169096160980741459/ but I have solid borders rather than the pieced border in the picture. This is the largest quilt I've ever made (2m x 2m) and I think my little inaccuracies have caught up with me. When trying to baste it, the middle stretches since it's pieced, but the borders don't, so it's wrinkling. I tried just ironing (I'm using fusible batting) from the middle and it's alright on 2 sides and 3 corners, but one corner (from halfway down one side around the corner to halfway up the other side) is wrinkly. Even if I unpick it I don't know what to do to fix it.

Can anyone help?

Anthea
TNN nerd

Re: Major quilting problem - HELP!

Post by Anthea » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:12 pm

unpick the side that is bunching, and resew it on taking your time to go slow and make sure that the taughtness of each piece is even as you are feeding it through.

jennyo
TNN nerd

Post by jennyo » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:15 pm

Ok, so do I actually try and pull it tight?

Thanks for answering!!

RachaelD
TNN nerd

Post by RachaelD » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:16 pm

Wen you sew on the borders, you should determine the length they need to be by measuring across the middle of the quilt and making them that length. It will help keep the quilt square.
Rachael, Mum to Melissa 5/6/05 and Hannah 2/10/06... and now Archie the Miniature Schnauzer

Read about our USA trip here... 293 days and counting...

On Instagram here.

Handknits for Children, plus some accessories for the Mum's too.
More info on my Blog, Facebook page or PM for details.

Petals
TNN guru

Post by Petals » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:19 pm

And then the quilting will hide a lot of problems :D
Kylie

Petals
TNN guru

Post by Petals » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:23 pm

jennyo wrote:Ok, so do I actually try and pull it tight?
No no don't pull, that will stretch the edges of the pieces that are cut on the bias, you don't want to do that. The straight cut borders should hopefully keep it all square and stop it stretching and prevent puckering.
Kylie

jennyo
TNN nerd

Post by jennyo » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:50 pm

Ok - I've taken 2 of the sides off so I'll take the other sides of tomorrow and follow this http://quiltbug.com/articles/borders.htm. I had heard of this before but totally forgot that was what you are mean to do. Oops! (I just attached a strip and then cut it off at the ends :roll:). I think I'll just scrap in with enough fabric left if I need to cut them again

Thank you ladies, you've calmed me down and given me hope that I haven't bungled this!

Return to “DIY everything else”