Knitting for Others

Plingie
TNN guru

Knitting for Others

Post by Plingie » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:35 am

What's the go with this in terms of patterns/licences? I don't want to knit to make money - I'm not good enough for that but I'd like to knit for people- gifting my time knitting and they can buy the wool they'd like things knitted in. Is this still OK in terms of licensing/copywrite? Or would I need to buy the pattern each time even if I already have it?

Claude30
TNN guru

Re: Knitting for Others

Post by Claude30 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:44 am

Legally I dont know, but I have always knitted for people, with mine or there wool, as gifts from any pattern I have brought. If I was going to sell them it would be different but as gifts I dont think it matters. But that is me. I will be watching this thread with interest to see what the outcome is.
Kiley - SAHM to - Caycee (8/03), Stefanie (6/05), Brody (12/06), Keegan (5/10) and
Image Image

Taylas_mum
TNN nerd

Post by Taylas_mum » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:00 am

I have always wondered about this too so will be watching this thread for opinions. I am a relatively fast knitter so often my kids have all the clothes they need so love to knit for other people as well just for the love of knitting, not for payment :D
Emma
Knitting-mad mummy to Tayla (7) Kade (4.5) and Reid (2)
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Taylasmum

Plingie
TNN guru

Post by Plingie » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:12 am

I'd be happy to knit for gifts from patterns and I don't worry about copywrite stuff for that but if the recipient is paying for t=or providing the wool that's a little different. I wouldn't be making any money from it though

Claude30
TNN guru

Post by Claude30 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:20 am

See I dont think it makes any difference if they supply the wool or you, cause you are still not making any money out of it. In sewing I have sewn things for alot of people where they supply the materials and I use my patterns (either brought or my own) and sew up what they need. So I dont view the knitting as any different, it just means they get to pick there own wool.
Kiley - SAHM to - Caycee (8/03), Stefanie (6/05), Brody (12/06), Keegan (5/10) and
Image Image

ksjc
TNN nerd

Post by ksjc » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:27 am

I think it must be okay, its a step down from a will work for yarn scenario if you aren't even taking a yarn payment, and lots of people on rav knit patterns they don't have licenses for for payment of yarn :)
Kelly, Mama to S 01/06, J 05/08, C 11/10 and C 07/12
Was beautymama03 :)

KiwiWonder
TNN nerd

Post by KiwiWonder » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:14 am

As someone with a couple patterns out there, I wouldn't have a problem with what you describe. But that's just me ;)
Margo - http://kiwiwonder.wordpress.com
Zamara - July 2006 / Katerina - March 2008 / Marci - Dec 2009 stillborn at 21 weeks / Marta - Oct 2010

rootoo
TNN guru

Post by rootoo » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:55 am

I'd say totally fine hun :)
The license really only comes in to play if you're asking money for the finished garment, whether it was their yarn or yours, money changing hands in exchange for the finished object is where some designers ask you to get the license.

Swaps, knitting other peoples' yarn, gifts are all fine
Rachel
Mama to Josh 6/10/08 and Ollie 25/5/11

http://www.facebook.com/featherbrushyarns

stardust1
TNN nerd

Post by stardust1 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:37 am

If people are providing you with wool, and you are providing your time free of charge, I wouldn't see that as breaking any license agreements, or stand on toes of the professional knitters. I guess sort of like those that make nappies for others from a pattern you buy? :)

Just my 2c
Check out Stardust Designs brand here;
http://www.facebook.com/designsbystardust
License holder for Tiny Tuck-Ins, and watch this space for the sole license holder of another popular nappy.
Taylor - 01/07/03 - :monkey: Ella-Jayne - 30/06/08 - :princess:

j-j
TNN guru

Post by j-j » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:39 am

rootoo wrote:I'd say totally fine hun :)
The license really only comes in to play if you're asking money for the finished garment, whether it was their yarn or yours, money changing hands in exchange for the finished object is where some designers ask you to get the license.

Swaps, knitting other peoples' yarn, gifts are all fine
Yup, this :)
Julia - Knitting nut and mum to 3 delicious children: DD - 9, DS#1 - 7 and DS#3 - 5

Knitting Pattern Designer of The Little Rascals, Poplar, Katniss, Primrose, Greyson patterns - available HERE

Return to “DIY everything else”