Sewing machine tension help

grizle
TNN nerd

Sewing machine tension help

Post by grizle » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:41 pm

Since it looks like I'm fighting a losing battle with customer service I thought I'd do the research and fix this problem myself. So I need to alter the tension in my new machine. However what I think isn't quite right I've been told is ok (the locals told me that much) It doesn't look as nice as my old brother sewing machine but starting to think that maybe berninas are quite different in terms of what looks acceptable.

On my brother I sewed a straight, zigzag and 3step zigzag and compared that to the stitches of the bernina. On the brother the bobbin is clearly on the bottom and not noticeable from the top. No worries top stitching anything.

With the bernina I can see the bobbin thread between the stitches on top. Looks like little dots iykwim. Same type of stitches, straight, zigzag, 3step zigzag and same thread and fabric etc. I wouldn't like to topstitch using different colours top and bottom. If I use same colour top and bottom you cant tell, but I don't do that often (although I should). But for now I'm trying to get tension sorted so am purposely using contrasting colours. From what I have read its the bobbin tension I need to adjust so this is what I am doing...but to what point.

So I need to know what is acceptable. Can anyone link me to images of what tension should look like? Also any pages to tell me more about tension in sewing machines (I plan on being an expert after this :lol: )
Amanda - Mum to 3 beautiful boys

Claire
TNN oracle

Re: Sewing machine tension help

Post by Claire » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:26 pm

If it's tensioned properly you shouldn't see the top thread on the bottom or the bobbin thread on the top.... at all
Does changing the brand of thread or the fabric make any difference?

There could be something wrong with the tension disks or the way the bobbin has been wound... umm the timing could be out but there's nothing much you can do about that. Did the lady you returned it to provide you a sample of her stitching?

growingclothie
TNN oracle

Post by growingclothie » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:30 pm

random idea... did you use that machine to wind the bobbin or are they bobbins you had previously wound with a different machine? Wonder if something small like winding tension could be the issue
Bec

Home educating mum to precious blessings:
*MissW (stillborn Jan'04)
*MasterZ (11yrs old, born Jan'04)
*MasterH (7yrs old, born Sept'07)
*MissK (4yrs old, born Nov'10)
*MissF (2yrs old, born July'13)

Visit me on Ravelry http://www.ravelry.com/projects/SteppingInWater

rangitotogirl
TNN oracle

Post by rangitotogirl » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:03 pm

Not sure whether this will help you or not, but the tension on my new Brother has been a real pain in the neck too. No matter what I had it set to the thread would snap even when set on 0 (lowest amount of tension).

We took the cover off and really played with the tension and the threading generally and just manipulated it quite a bit. We didn't seem to do anything special, but it now seems to be working without breaking.

I know yours is a different problem, but something similar may work for you.

http://www.carrymybaby.co.nz
http://www.facebook.com/carrymybabynewzealand

http://www.scarecrowfarm.co.nz
http://www.facebook.com/scarecrowfarm
http://www.mobywrap.co.nz

grizle
TNN nerd

Post by grizle » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:19 pm

Claire wrote:If it's tensioned properly you shouldn't see the top thread on the bottom or the bobbin thread on the top.... at all
Does changing the brand of thread or the fabric make any difference?

There could be something wrong with the tension disks or the way the bobbin has been wound... umm the timing could be out but there's nothing much you can do about that. Did the lady you returned it to provide you a sample of her stitching?
See that's what I thought about not seeing top on bottom and vice versa. Changing brand doesn't make any difference, in fact I have gone to the effort to use the cotton recommend by bernina in order for them not to blame thread. Mum bought back a sample but most is what she sewed, and on that you can see the dots - if you have a good look (I'm picky). It was also threaded with embroidery thread in the top and normal thread in bottom. The locals did say that it shouldnt effect tension though.

Bobbin is wound on this machine on brand new bobbin. I wound it yesterday - yes to take control over my experiment :lol:

I have altered the bottom tension and while it makes a big difference, it doesn't get as nice as my brother. And this is where I have the problem because the local lady did say one of my samples looked ok - I'm not happy with that though.

Neak1
TNN guru

Post by Neak1 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:41 pm

I was telling DH about this tonight, and he reminded me that I did have a tension issue with my machine when I first got it a couple of years ago now. I had completely forgotten! Remembering now yes the tension is odd compaired to the brother machine I had. I don't notice it now :) I can take a photo of some on my machine :) WIll go do some now and be back with photos :)
Monique

Seth 8
Nina 4

Neak1
TNN guru

Post by Neak1 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:59 pm

This is what mine looks like. The stitch defination is crap compared to a brother machine.
Sorry not the best photo. Its the same on the bobbin side as the top side. Not sure if that is any help for you or not :lol:
Only other thing I could think of is something is a bit off with your bobbin case? My top tension is set to 4 ( where the red line is)
Monique

Seth 8
Nina 4

grizle
TNN nerd

Post by grizle » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:05 pm

Here is my sample...on left is the bernina on right the brother

Bernina sample - bottom is where is was set when it came back which is factory default
- middle lines are adjusted 3 clicks to right, the more clicks the better it gets
- top lines are adjusted 2 clicks to right

According to websites most of these models are having to be adjusted 1 or 2 clicks either way to get correct tension.
Last edited by grizle on Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grizle
TNN nerd

Post by grizle » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:06 pm

Guess what colour the bobbin is :lol:

Neak1
TNN guru

Post by Neak1 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:51 pm

Oh goodness :?
Guessing you have tried a different needle? other than playing more with the bobbin case, I am not sure. I will put a lighter colour on my top tomorrow and see what it does. Does your casing have the wee hole in the little arm bit? that you normally use for button holes? I wonder if trying it throughh that might help it abit. Though you have probably tried just about everything :lol:
Monique

Seth 8
Nina 4

Neak1
TNN guru

Post by Neak1 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:08 am

Guess what ;) it must be normal :lol: mine has nasty nasty bumps too :) worse looking than yours :lol:

Monique

Seth 8
Nina 4

grizle
TNN nerd

Post by grizle » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:14 am

Neak1 wrote:Guess what ;) it must be normal :lol: mine has nasty nasty bumps too :) worse looking than yours :lol:

:shock: is that the top? Maybe it is just a bernina thing then :lol: .

As for the bobbin, I've got an 830 machine so its not going to be like many of the other models.

Neak1
TNN guru

Post by Neak1 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:22 am

Yip that is the top :lol: :roll: Ah yours has jumbo bobbins. Must be a bernina thing then :lol:
Monique

Seth 8
Nina 4

Claude30
TNN guru

Post by Claude30 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:30 am

:shock: see told you brothers are better :rotfl:
Kiley - SAHM to - Caycee (8/03), Stefanie (6/05), Brody (12/06), Keegan (5/10) and
Image Image

Neak1
TNN guru

Post by Neak1 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:34 am

Claude30 wrote: :shock: see told you brothers are better :rotfl:
Agree! only have this machine because the one I had at Mums got flooded and this was the insurance replacement, silly fool me thought this would be better than the brother machine I had, but nope I hate it, at some point I will sell it and get another brother :)
Monique

Seth 8
Nina 4

Return to “DIY everything else”