Sewing Machine Help...

angel86
TNN newbie

Sewing Machine Help...

Post by angel86 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:10 am

Hi everyone,
I am reasonably new to the world of sewing and so am still sadly clueless when it comes to understanding how a sewing machine works...and more importantly what to do when it doesn't :roll:

I have an old Elna SU and it has been running fine, but all of a sudden the upper tension is not working properly! I tried a test a found online that said to pull a piece of cotton through the tension discs carefully with the foot down (to check that they still have tension)...which they do....at varying levels depending on what number it is set, so as it should be. However, when I sew (with whatever stitch, needle or fabric) the bottom stitches are basically just a row of cotton that can be slid out if you pull on it and you can see the top thread.

I am fully prepared for the fact that in my cluelessness I may have been to rough or done something stupid to break the tension unit...however, before I write off the machine, I just want to make sure that I have not overlooked anything easy that needs tweaking?...like cleaning something...or oiling something...or adjusting something else?

Any advice would be so appreciated...I have lots of nappies to sew before my April baby and I need all the time I have left to get them done :(

Callum's godmother
TNN guru

Re: Sewing Machine Help...

Post by Callum's godmother » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:58 am

maybe it's the bobbin tension

angel86
TNN newbie

Post by angel86 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:17 am

Callum's godmother wrote:maybe it's the bobbin tension
yeah...that was next on my to-do list to play around with...however, shouldn't I get some change from turning the upper tension...even if it doesn't completely fix the problem? It is so confusing lol :?

Callum's godmother
TNN guru

Post by Callum's godmother » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:39 am

yeah not sure ... did wonder that! I know I had trouble with my brand new machine and took it in to the shop and they changed my needle :oops: and changed the top and bottom thread to the same :oops: and told me off!! :smt005

sjl
TNN nerd

Post by sjl » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:16 am

Have you got the thread spooling the right way off the bobbin?
Image Image

Claire
TNN oracle

Post by Claire » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:20 pm

sjl wrote:Have you got the thread spooling the right way off the bobbin?

yeah that's a really common problem. Also tensions can get mucked up when the needle becomes blunt.

Emma
TNN guru

Post by Emma » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:00 pm

I would try good quality thread and a new needle. If that doesn't work then a good service might do the trick.
Emma
Mum to 5 lovely children

angel86
TNN newbie

Post by angel86 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:21 pm

sjl wrote:Have you got the thread spooling the right way off the bobbin?
Yep all good on that front...but thanks for the suggestion...as it sounds like the kind of thing I would do lol :lol:

I am going to have another fiddle tomorrow...and if I can't sort it then I might have to take it somewhere :(

goose
TNN nerd

Post by goose » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:33 pm

Emma wrote:I would try good quality thread and a new needle. If that doesn't work then a good service might do the trick.
This is what I'd do too. It's amazing what problems a blunt needle can cause :oops: 8-[ :lol: I think we've all been there done that at some point!!
Rachael (mum to DD1 8yrs, and DD2 5yrs)

sable
Spinning Goddess

Post by sable » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:32 am

Also make sure the bobbin case is clean, lint in there can also cause things to go weird.
Rachelle
http://raciebaby.blogspot.com/

Return to “DIY everything else”