Quilting help please

shorty
TNN nerd

Quilting help please

Post by shorty » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:16 pm

Can anyone please help or point me to some websites that help!
I'm just trying to make my first quilt which is kind of a rush job for a special Birthday ( my Mums). At least she will overlook my mistakes !!
I've sewn the squares together ( 25 , 24x24cm squares in a block of 5x5 ).
Just not sure what quilting pattern to do. I have done some free motion quilting practice and am keen to try a simple pattern but need some instruction on colour thread ( quilt has deep red, teal and fawn/beiges). Also no idea where to start quilting ( in the middle?).
Am thinking I need to baste or pin well first and then quilt and then bind ??? Any good binding tutes around??!!
Thanks - all help much appreciated

jennyo
TNN nerd

Re: Quilting help please

Post by jennyo » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:01 pm

Sounds like you've got the next steps sorted, you just need reassurance (and I'm no expert - have just bumbled my way through my first few quilts!) ! I would probably quilt in red, but hard to know without seeing. Sounds lovely though. You can start anywhere, but I think the centre is traditional. Anything free motion will look lovely - personally I can only do loops so that's what I do!
Here's a binding tutorial: http://crazymomquilts.blogspot.co.nz/20 ... orial.html
Post a picture when you're done!

sable
Spinning Goddess

Post by sable » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:49 pm

I'm not an expert but have done a few quilts now. I either spray baste or baste using quilting pins (like bent safety pins), you want it to be firmly and smoothly attached to the batting and backing. I do some straight line quilting around blocks to make sure things can't shift though I can't remember if I did it from the outside or inside first, I think I did the outside as it was easier to get to and I didn't want the outside going wavy which it can do if you quilt inside to outside. There seems to be 2 schools of thought on the two options there though.
I did my actual free-motion quilting after it was well secured and just worked from the top down, the straight line stuff already being done meant it was all staying put anyway.
Once the quilting is done you need to block the quilt so it sits square and trim any wiggles before binding. I tend to machine stitch the binding to the front, roll it over to the back and then hand-sew that down as I can't catch all the binding on the back when machine sewing no matter what I try; I normally use a crosswise grain binding cos it's easy to cut, but a bias binding tends to wear better and it's easy to cut your own, just uses a lot of fabric.
For how-to's I either referred to my quilting books or took a look at one of the Craftsy classes I've bought.
Rachelle
http://raciebaby.blogspot.com/

shorty
TNN nerd

Post by shorty » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:51 pm

Thanks heaps to you both. Am using your advice as I'm free motion quilting right now.havent even heard of blocking so better read up on that eh!! It's not going to be perfect by a long shot! Mum will be ok with that I think :)
Will try and post a photo when I finish.

justene
TNN nerd

Post by justene » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:30 pm

you should ring my mum Jen, she'd be more than happy to help you and show you! her schedule is very flexible too :wink:
my 4 awesome girls! Amy 3/06 Jade 3/06 Reese 5/09 Zoe 6/11

jhcsmum
TNN nerd

Post by jhcsmum » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:19 pm

I've used varigated cotton before and it looks great if you get the right colours.
Deb
Stitch Marker Maker
Image Image

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:21 am

I haven't had a chance to have a really good play with free motion quilting yet. I've quilted the quilts I've made with straight line quilting. It was easy and looks great. I started from the middle and moved out, unrolling the quilt from the space to the right of the needle as I did another row. I used the batting that you iron on to hold in to place - that was really easy to use.

Looking forward to the photo!
Leanne
Mum to 3 beautiful children
Image Small and Large pocket patterns available, for a small donation to Unicef. DIY kits also available for $5 each with free pattern. PM or email me for more info...

shorty
TNN nerd

Post by shorty » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:39 pm

Its finished! Started binding at 9am and finished at 12 (had a few interruptions!!) then picked Mum and Dad up from the airport at 1pm. Mum loves it 8-) and its so cool to be able to give her my first quilt, mistakes and all :lol:
Thanks heaps for the advice above - the binding tute was a huge help.
Variegated thread is a great idea - look forward to trying that. Iron on anything sounds great too :)
Justene - I forgot that your Mum might be able to help - duh! - didnt have much time to ask other than on here. I was quite surprised to get it done in a few days (also helped kindy make a PVC instrument on Friday so its been a creative week) but definitely need to improve on accuracy. Its so not square and not lined up in some places :roll: I can understand why people who are retired (and can control interruptions a bit better) do such beautiful quilts. How the hang do you ladies on here who quilt get time to sew such amazing and perfect quilts (Vivianne ?!! - you have been an inspiration for a long time).
jennyo - I love your quilts (looked back thru and found them ).

Vivianne
TNN guru

Post by Vivianne » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:44 pm

Well done, it looks fabulous!!!! I bet your Mum loves it :mrgreen:

sable
Spinning Goddess

Post by sable » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:00 pm

It looks great!
Rachelle
http://raciebaby.blogspot.com/