making a protective belt for a G-tube

nzmum
TNN nerd

making a protective belt for a G-tube

Post by nzmum » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:08 am

My friend's daughter wants to join in with sport at school (she's almost 5), but she has a gastric tube which needs to be protected. She posted a picture of something she was thinking of buying on FB, but it's ridiculously expensive ($150ish). See http://www.benik.com/peds/wrap/g-tube . I was wondering how difficult something like this would be to make yourself. However, would neoprene be pretty tricky to cut and sew on a normal machine? Any thoughts?
Jannene

krisha
TNN oracle

Re: making a protective belt for a G-tube

Post by krisha » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:33 am

It wouldn't necessarily need the cover part to come off if its only worn for sports, etc - so could end up being quite simple, I wonder if an old wetsuit or similar (double layered) would work (probably cheaper than the fabric)

krisha
TNN oracle

Post by krisha » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:35 am

shorty
TNN nerd

Post by shorty » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:50 pm

I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to make at all. I've sewn neoprene before ( into a leg support for my FIL) and it wasn't hard. I think I used the walking foot on my machine but don't think that's absolutely necessary. Neoprene doesn't fray so you could just cut a hole and cut a circle to cover it. I wonder whether you could find a plastic lid that could be attached to the cover piece to provide a hard cover ( turtle shell). You could either Velcro or use snaps to attach cover to main part.
Wetsuits are easy to pick up second hand.

shorty
TNN nerd

Post by shorty » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:55 pm

I've just had a search and have found a wetsuit that I'm very happy to give you to cut up. Or happy to have a go here at making something suitable. Pm me if you like.

Return to “DIY everything else”