Needle Felting Tool

beccahv
TNN guru

Needle Felting Tool

Post by beccahv » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:22 pm

I need to buy a needle felting tool to complete a Birthday present for Alexander, does anyone have one they recommend (or conversely one they would avoid)? TIA 8-)
Bec - Lucky Mama to Luca (July 2005) & Alexander (May 2008) :-)

Plingie
TNN guru

Re: Needle Felting Tool

Post by Plingie » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:26 pm

Oohhh be careful - they are sooo sharp! It depends on if you wanna do detailed stuff or large areas - you can use just a single needle to do detail and you can get holders that hold three needles to do large areas fast.

Minty
TNN oracle

Post by Minty » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:36 pm

We just use the single needle (not in a tool). They are sharp, in fact had to give Miss nearly 6 a plaster yesterday to put on her toenail - eep yes toenail - which she had managed to puncture with a needle felting needle. She tends to use her feet as extra hands, so was holding the item with hands and feet. 8-[ We haven't had many injuries though with 5yo, 8yo and 40yo. :lol: You do learn pretty quickly to be careful.

I would recommend several single needles (whichever tool you choose) as beginner needle felters tend to break them pretty frequently (although breakages decrease rapidly with experience we have found).
Nic
Two funny, gorgeous DDs.

The art of living is more like wrestling than dancing. — Marcus Aurelius Antoninus

Going button-crazy here. http://www.buttonsbybenji.blogspot.com/

beccahv
TNN guru

Post by beccahv » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:57 pm

I've used a single needle before (and yes, ouch :twitch: ) but I'm needle felting onto a large woolen blanket to make a dinosaur playmat and a single needle would be way to time consuming (I have less than a month) :oops: . I figured a tool would be the way to go, the ashford one looks scary but the others are plastic and I'm not sure of the quality??
Bec - Lucky Mama to Luca (July 2005) & Alexander (May 2008) :-)

Minty
TNN oracle

Post by Minty » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:01 pm

I see, you might want to go industrial strength then. :lol: I reckon the four needle one might be the way to go, and I would imagine Ashford would be better quality than some of the cheaper ones, but basing that purely on bias and experience with other cheap versus spendy craft tools, not on experience with any tools (other than the single needle).
Nic
Two funny, gorgeous DDs.

The art of living is more like wrestling than dancing. — Marcus Aurelius Antoninus

Going button-crazy here. http://www.buttonsbybenji.blogspot.com/

Plingie
TNN guru

Post by Plingie » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:19 pm

I have a plastic ashfords one which its fab - just remember to buy spare needles to put in it because they do break sometimes :D

sable
Spinning Goddess

Post by sable » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:25 pm

I've got the Clover plastic one and have found it good for applique work, the needles in it are too fine for making 3D stuff though; I've not had to change them yet though so not sure how easy that is.
Rachelle
http://raciebaby.blogspot.com/

Return to “DIY everything else”