Curtain linings - which hooks to use??

Feijoa
TNN addict

Curtain linings - which hooks to use??

Post by Feijoa » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:29 pm

Hi there :-)

Last winter I made some detachable curtain linings (just thin ones made from sheets from the op shop). They are attached with tape on the lining and then hooked onto the curtain with the plastic hooks. But some of the hooks fall off and part of the lining then falls off too. Is there another type of hook I could be using perhaps??? Thanks in advance :-)

Joanne
TNN nerd

Re: Curtain linings - which hooks to use??

Post by Joanne » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:30 am

The linings I hang have the header tape on them. The hooks are just the normal ones but they go through both the lining header tape and the curtain tape at the same time. No problems with them popping out (they are held firmly by the time they get through both layers).
Wife to M, Mum to DS 2/02, DD1 3/05, and DD2 1/07

Amethyst
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Amethyst » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:53 am

Joanne wrote:The linings I hang have the header tape on them. The hooks are just the normal ones but they go through both the lining header tape and the curtain tape at the same time. No problems with them popping out (they are held firmly by the time they get through both layers).
:yes:
Wanna post a picture feijoa? Maybe we could spot a problem?
Pooh-Bah, Lord High everything else :roll:
Mamma to 3 wee product testers :king: 12 :king: 10 :queen: 8

Joanne
TNN nerd

Post by Joanne » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:01 am

Oh - and to add that the lining header tape is at the very top of the curtain, and you use the very top hook slots.

Feijoa
TNN addict

Post by Feijoa » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:52 pm

Thank you :-) Will try and post a picture tonight (I know its easier to see it than trying to figure out what I'm talking about!) Thanks guys :-)

Feijoa
TNN addict

Post by Feijoa » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:26 pm

Sorry I have forgotten to take a photo and upload over the weekend (too much else happening!)

I will get on to it.

I do wonder if its the lining tape I used as it doesn't seem to be very strong and some of the strings are coming apart from their holes (if that makes sense!) which I would imagine is probably why the lining is not staying attached to the curtain. It is a thin tape with one row for the hooks and has string above and below the bit where the hooks go. The other thing is that when I made the linings I made them the width of the gathered curtain (not the ungathered width) so thinking about it now that would probably make a difference, as they wouldn't sit properly and also get pulled around each time the curtain is opened and closed.

All a learning curve. They were super cheap linings (old sheets from the op shop for $1 each) so I guess a good practice run!

Joanne
TNN nerd

Post by Joanne » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:53 pm

The linings I have are Mollers thermal linings. They are designed to be cut and hung to the gathered width of the curtain.
They have the a single level of header tape. HTH.

Feijoa
TNN addict

Post by Feijoa » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:47 pm

Thank you, that pretty sounds similar to the linings I have made. Maybe I just need to take them down and rehang. Thanks for all your help :-)

Return to “DIY everything else”