the 'rose' dress, ottobre spring 1/2008

goose
TNN nerd

the 'rose' dress, ottobre spring 1/2008

Post by goose » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:56 pm

I've made a few of these, but it was years ago now, and I can't remember what I did regarding the neckline.

According to the pattern instructions, I should add 1cm seam allowance to the neckline when I'm cutting out the pattern piece. (The pattern doesn't actually say to add 1cm, but it doesn't say not to, and these patterns usually tell you when not to add seam allowance to the pattern). But, the neckline is finished by adding binding to it, so I thought in this case you just left the neckline as is, because the binding needs no seam allowance to join on to.

If I add 1cm before cutting out, won't that make the neckline sit really high?

Hopefully this makes sense, anyone know what I mean?

:sew: :help: :sew:
Rachael (mum to DD1 8yrs, and DD2 5yrs)

Claire
TNN oracle

Re: the 'rose' dress, ottobre spring 1/2008

Post by Claire » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:10 pm

yeah na don't add it. Ottobre seems quite random when it remembers to tell you not to add it but you shouldn't when binding .. only on an actual seam. They just aren't fab at remembering to do the little *don't add allowance sign.

Claude30
TNN guru

Post by Claude30 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:17 pm

I tend to work on the principle if I am going to overlock the seam add a seam allowance when it comes to Ottobre patterns. So a neckline I wouldnt.
Kiley - SAHM to - Caycee (8/03), Stefanie (6/05), Brody (12/06), Keegan (5/10) and
Image Image

Resse
TNN guru

Post by Resse » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:20 pm

If it has binding, then I wouldn't add the 1cm . It would sit too high then.
Renate
http://renate4scottie.blogspot.com/
My new blog called Inspirationz. Yah!!
Our amazing DS, May 2006
Our sweet DD, August 2008
Our gorgeous DS, September 2010

goose
TNN nerd

Post by goose » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:33 pm

Thank you all :vibes:

:thx:

I'm trying to be super organised with getting the girls' summer clothes sorted. dd1 will need pretty much everything new, thankfully dd2 is mostly sorted via dd1's hand-me-downs. End of Sept through to Christmas is chocka on the calendar already :twitch: so the next few weeks is all the time I'll have for sewing clothes until next year.

Resse
TNN guru

Post by Resse » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:45 pm

You are organised!
Just as an aside - what is an invisible zipper? How is it different to a normal zipper?
Renate
Our amazing DS, May 2006

Claude30
TNN guru

Post by Claude30 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:57 pm

Resse wrote:You are organised!
Just as an aside - what is an invisible zipper? How is it different to a normal zipper?
Isnt an invisable zipper one that you sew in and cant see opposed to a normal one you do see. If I am sewing one that is supposed to be invisable I normally baste the seam, iron it flat and then sew the zip in then pull the basting out, and the zip remains hidden. If I am sewing a normal one in I just pin it and sew it. I would use the invisiable zip for dresses and clothing and things and normal zip for bags, and pencil cases and things.
Kiley - SAHM to - Caycee (8/03), Stefanie (6/05), Brody (12/06), Keegan (5/10) and
Image Image

Resse
TNN guru

Post by Resse » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:16 pm

Claude30 wrote:
Resse wrote:You are organised!
Isnt an invisable zipper one that you sew in and cant see opposed to a normal one you do see. If I am sewing one that is supposed to be invisable I normally baste the seam, iron it flat and then sew the zip in then pull the basting out, and the zip remains hidden. If I am sewing a normal one in I just pin it and sew it. I would use the invisiable zip for dresses and clothing and things and normal zip for bags, and pencil cases and things.
Right - so I can use the same zip for both - but different sewing techniques to get an invisible one, and a regular one that shows?
Renate
Our amazing DS, May 2006

Emma
TNN guru

Post by Emma » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:34 am

You can actually buy invisible zippers - the teeth are small and hidden behind the tape kind of.
eta a google image search shows the difference, but if it doesn't bother you to see the zip a wee bit you could just use a normal one.
Emma
Mum to 5 lovely children

goose
TNN nerd

Post by goose » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:50 pm

I just use whatever zip I've got in stash that is a colour match. But yes, the invisible zips are different to standard zips. As well as the teeth being different, the ones I've bought in the past are on a much softer and almost transparent looking webbing.

The dress is finished and being worn already 8-) The bodice is slightly too wide, which means the next couple of years all I'll have to do is add a 5cm or 10cm contrasting band to the hem :oops: :lol:

I'm glad I got going with this actually, because we are already having days that require summer clothing, so I'll cut out another two in this pattern I think. If I pick the fabrics carefully, I should be able to get away with knitting just the one shrug for dd to wear with all 3 dresses :D.

Claire
TNN oracle

Post by Claire » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:36 pm

photo please!
I had heard that one was wide and short. I've got the fabric for it but haven't got round to it yet. Better be this year or there won't be enough fabric :lol:

Nessles
TNN nutter

Post by Nessles » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:57 pm

Yes photo please - inspire us! :D

goose
TNN nerd

Post by goose » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:57 pm

It's in the washing pile, dirty already :lol: Will get one when it's washed and dried though. You know the table at spotlight with the striped and spotted fabrics on it? Its the brightish mid blue with white spots, pink ribbon that dh bought in seoul, and plain grey quilting fabric for the neckline binding. Next dress is started, might get it finished this evening if I get home with enough time to spare :crossfingers:

I'm usually quite picky with my sewing, seams are topstitched perfectly, project is ironed at every stage of construction. I'm making there dresses quite differently, with no topstitching at all and only ironing when it's necessary. They look a lot less "homemade" I think :-k

Return to “DIY everything else”