Quilting help - what colours should I use?

jennyo
TNN nerd

Quilting help - what colours should I use?

Post by jennyo » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:48 pm

I'm making a quilt using a panel with some added borders. Have to wait for the batting to arrive anyway but thought I'd go to Fabric Vision tomorrow and buy thread to do the quilting while it's on sale. Not sure what colours to use. I want to outline (some of) the pattern. What do you think? Use one colour (which one?) or multiple colours depending on what colour the print is? Can't decide!
Attachments
photostrip-2015-02-15-1.jpg
photostrip-2015-02-15-1.jpg (43.81 KiB) Viewed 2677 times

shorty
TNN nerd

Re: Quilting help - what colours should I use?

Post by shorty » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:12 pm

Its cool! I think I would try to match the colours - or at least keep the 'l' lighter if outlining that. The letters stand out quite nicely and I d keep the cream free of colour too ( and do cream quilting if any:))
Just my thoughts! Have fun!!

RachaelD
TNN nerd

Post by RachaelD » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:33 am

I always tend to use an off white thread (unless the background is a true white). The quilting sinks into the fabric and normally hides quite well, especially after being washed.

For instance here is a pillow I made and used off white and it doesn't stand out too much at all.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater
(if you look through the album you will see other quilts that I have quilted all over with neutral thread as well).

I buy the big $20 rolls of gutermann all purpose thread.
Rachael, Mum to Melissa 5/6/05 and Hannah 2/10/06... and now Archie the Miniature Schnauzer

Read about our USA trip here... 293 days and counting...

On Instagram here.

Handknits for Children, plus some accessories for the Mum's too.
More info on my Blog, Facebook page or PM for details.

jennyo
TNN nerd

Post by jennyo » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:10 pm

Rachael I LOVE your work! Beautiful. Your taste really appeals to me. I love quilts with lots of white - is it true white though that you use, or do you use an off-white for that as well? I usually buy the big rolls of Gutermann too, but have always bought white since I use white fabric.
I've already been to the shop, but off-white would have worked on this for sure since I haven't added white to it but I ended up buying up buying 4 colours that will match it. Oh well, might try that some other time. I did look at variegated threads too - there was a good light pink one that would have worked for the lighter parts, but the darker one didn't match well.

RachaelD
TNN nerd

Post by RachaelD » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:50 pm

I don't normally use a true white, normally something like Kona Snow, which is more creamy. I have had heaps of problems buying whites/neutrals/creams of the internet, I think I need a colour card.

So I mainly use an off white. I think in the big reels of guttermann there is a white, off white and cream, it is normally the middle one I use.

Although I had just tried Aurifil thread and it is fantastic and 100% cotton. If I buy a reel with fabric from overseas it is a few dollars cheaper (and rolls are bigger) than the big guttermann ones.
Rachael, Mum to Melissa 5/6/05 and Hannah 2/10/06... and now Archie the Miniature Schnauzer

Read about our USA trip here... 293 days and counting...

On Instagram here.

Handknits for Children, plus some accessories for the Mum's too.
More info on my Blog, Facebook page or PM for details.

nicky-noodle
TNN guru

Post by nicky-noodle » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:44 pm

Return to “DIY everything else”