What machine(s) do you have? (or have had)

AliG
TNN guru

Post by AliG » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:35 pm

hannah wrote:I'm updating again, I'm such a sewing machine whore :lol: :roll: :oops:

adding a pfaff 1214 with idt 8-)

Was that the one on TM recently? I asked if it had IDT and he had no idea. Lucky you!! 8-) (I'm a sewing machine whore too :lol: )
Image Image
And now licensed to knit all of Tikki's fabulous patterns!

hannah
TNN guru

Post by hannah » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:50 pm

AliG wrote:
hannah wrote:I'm updating again, I'm such a sewing machine whore :lol: :roll: :oops:

Was that the one on TM recently? I asked if it had IDT and he had no idea. Lucky you!! 8-) (I'm a sewing machine whore too :lol: )

twas! I was the first and last bidder! I saw your question, I'd read loads of random pfaff forum comments and was fairly sure the 1214 had it. Lovely Leanne sent me a copy of her manual too.
I already :smt050 my pfaff, so quite and forceful :lol:
Hannah, mama of M 15yrs ♥ , L 13yrs ♥ and A 3yrs ♥
2 teens, 1 preschooler-eeek!

http://www.locket.co.nz

AliG
TNN guru

Post by AliG » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:21 pm

hannah wrote:
AliG wrote:

twas! I was the first and last bidder! I saw your question, I'd read loads of random pfaff forum comments and was fairly sure the 1214 had it. Lovely Leanne sent me a copy of her manual too.
I already :smt050 my pfaff, so quite and forceful :lol:

I might have to keep my eye out for another one of these lovely older Pfaffs :wink:
Image Image

krzy ktty mommy
TNN newbie

Singer

Post by krzy ktty mommy » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:34 am

I am quite suprised by how few singers there are.

I am new to sewing, so can I bring this thread one step farther???

What do you prefer the brand you prefer? What makes you choose Brother or any of the others?

I choose Singer because my Grandmother was a seemstress all her life and that was the one she swore by. It was a singer that my grandmother used to sew the Saudi Arabian Palace Curtains in the early 60s!

Therefore at the moment my first and only sewing machine was hers; the

Singer 301A (Granted I have to figure out how the dang thing really works. So far I have figured out the SS in a straight line (Kinda lol))

hannah
TNN guru

Post by hannah » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:39 am

I'll ask my sister what singer she has. Its an older one (30yrs?) and comes with an awesome array of feet. She's a fashion designer and came back from London last year. She'd had the same model on loan while she was living there and really liked it so found one on trademe recently. She has all her massive industrials, so this one is a portable she can chuck in the back of the car if needed.
But I think the thing is, its the new singers that let the brand down.
Hannah, mama of M 15yrs ♥ , L 13yrs ♥ and A 3yrs ♥
2 teens, 1 preschooler-eeek!

http://www.locket.co.nz

sable
Spinning Goddess

Post by sable » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:09 am

My Mum's first machine was a Singer Blue something and it was a dud, never worked properly. She then went to Bernina and loved them but her last Bernie wasn't quite so good. She now has a Husqvarna and it's really good as well as a couple of Babylocks.
I have found her old Bernie to be really good as well as an Elna and my Janome. I look on Patternreview.com if I'm interested in something to see what sort of feedback they have.
Rachelle
http://raciebaby.blogspot.com/

Vivianne
TNN guru

Post by Vivianne » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:23 am

The old Singer's were really good, as can be said for most older machines, like Bernina's, Pfaffs, Husquvarna's, Elna's, etc. The problem is a lot of these companies have moved their production to China, so the machines are made of lighter metals or plastic and aren't made to be precision machines any more. So just becasue a company used to make good machines, doesn't meant they still do.

krzy ktty mommy
TNN newbie

true

Post by krzy ktty mommy » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:31 pm

That is very true!

My singer is over 50 years old, they just don't make anything like they used to!

For now though, I am happy with my old machine. It is all I really need at the moment (lets see how long that moment lasts) :D

I can see this getting addictive!

AliG
TNN guru

Re: true

Post by AliG » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:36 pm

krzy ktty mommy wrote:For now though, I am happy with my old machine. It is all I really need at the moment (lets see how long that moment lasts) :D

I can see this getting addictive!

:lol: Yep! I started out with a Bernette and had used that for many projects over the years, but after being on here for a very short time all that changed!! I currently have two sewing machines (and on the lookout for a good, older Pfaff) and two overlockers (but need to sell my new Janome 744D - anyone interested? :lol: ). Oh and my old Bernina that seized from being stored in a damp garage, so doesn't really count :oops:
Image Image

LuluNZ
TNN guru

Re: true

Post by LuluNZ » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:31 pm

AliG wrote:(but need to sell my new Janome 744D - anyone interested? :lol: ).

How much Ali? I'm on the hunt for a new overlocker but don't know much about them I have to say. Still waiting for my IRD refund though as thats going to pay for it.

Edited to fix quote
Mummy to DD (19) and DS(5)

AliG
TNN guru

Post by AliG » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:11 pm

Well, it's six months old - so still has six months left on the warranty. To buy new these are $999 (but I bought it on special for $699 just before the price increase), but I would be happy with $550 (or nearest offer).

It is working beautifully at the moment and comes with all the bits and pieces it came with. I have kept the packaging as well, so can be boxed up just like new :D
Image Image

LuluNZ
TNN guru

Post by LuluNZ » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:18 pm

Thanks Ali, sounds like exactly what I want and the price I want to pay. Now I've just got to wait for that blasted money to go through. I'll keep you in mind and if you still have it when IRD finally give me my money then I'll take it. I can organise shipping really easily - especially if its boxed. Are these like the ones spotlight had in their clearance sale for $699 recently? I'm sure that was a Janome but unsure of the model.

AliG
TNN guru

Post by AliG » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:25 pm

No, Spotlight had the Brother ones - Janome has got a bit of a better name I think. You can check out the reviews on http://sewing.patternreview.com/SewingMachine/Janome. Just scroll down until you get to the 744D reviews.

I'm in no rush, so if you're really keen I'm happy to hang on to it and wait, hun :D
Image Image

LuluNZ
TNN guru

Post by LuluNZ » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:30 pm

Oh would you? Thanks so much. Yeah I know Janome have a better name. I was sure it was a Janome one as I wouldn't have considered a brother overlocker. Maybe I am wrong and was just going by the fact that it was expensive.

Yay, I'm getting a new overlocker!

krzy ktty mommy
TNN newbie

Post by krzy ktty mommy » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:02 am

Alig, the key to me getting another machine is, I have to learn what they are first. You guys are talking about all these different types (overlocker) and I don't have a clue what you mean lol! I wish my grandmother didn't have Alzhimers!

Return to “DIY everything else”