What machine(s) do you have? (or have had)

krzy ktty mommy
TNN newbie

Post by krzy ktty mommy » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:30 am

Oh and My dream Machine right now is a early model Singer Treadle machine, circa 1900ish. I don't so much want it for sewing, but I love antiques too, and my great gradmother used to have one. I would love to own one for personal reasons. The fact that they don't need electricity helps too!

Claude30
TNN guru

Post by Claude30 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:55 am

:lol: Mum and dad had an old treddle machine given to them when I was a kid but I dont know what ever happened to it. It was the coolest ever machine.

On the question about why we chose what we chose Im a Brother girl, so was my mother and my grandmother. All my machines are Brothers (bar one overlocker), aged 6mths to 38 years old. I tried an Elna overlocker before I brought my Brother this time round but didn't like it.
Kiley - SAHM to - Caycee (8/03), Stefanie (6/05), Brody (12/06), Keegan (5/10) and
Image Image

AliG
TNN guru

Post by AliG » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:36 pm

krzy ktty mommy wrote:Alig, the key to me getting another machine is, I have to learn what they are first. You guys are talking about all these different types (overlocker) and I don't have a clue what you mean lol! I wish my grandmother didn't have Alzhimers!

That's true! I was a complete newbie to sewing machines (other than the old Bernina and the Bernette my mother had given to me) when I started on here. Now I have read hundreds of reviews and have bought an older Janome Memory Craft sewing machine that does all kinds of fancy embroidery stitches (and has two different alphabets as well) so I have the ability to do more than I was capable of before.

Overlockers cut and sew at the same time and are usually 3 or 4 thread varieties. They're great for making clothing, nappy inserts, wipes, bibs - pretty much anything where you can cut and sew the edges together.

http://sewing.patternreview.com/SewingMachine/Reviews has some very useful reviews on the hundreds of different machines out there.

To be honest, the older, mechanical machines are often better than many of the newer middle to lower range models. Great brands of older machines are (in no particular order): Pfaff, Bernina, Singer, Elna, Husqvarna. I'm sure there are other great older ones, but these are the ones I've investigated.

Have fun :D
Image Image
And now licensed to knit all of Tikki's fabulous patterns!

AliG
TNN guru

Post by AliG » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:32 pm

I have (updated as of today):

A Janome Memory Craft 7000 sewing machine. Lovely machine with lots of embroidery stitches and two different alphabets.

ETA (29/01/10): A Bernina Nova bought for $10 from my local recycling 'tip shop'! Is missing the end cover but works absolutely fine :D

ETA (6/03/10): A Husqvarna 6440 which was another bargain buy from my local recycling tip shop, and sews beautifully.

ETA (6/03/10): A Pfaff 1222E that I got from Trade Me - and I LOVE it!!

A Babylock Eclipse overlocker which I bought super cheap off TradeMe. Threading is a breeze as it has jet air threading and it doesn't matter which order you thread it in. It also has a needle threader! I haven't used it on much yet, but it feels lovely, sounds great and I had an immediate bond with it :smt060

Have had:

A Bernina 930 sewing machine.
A Bernina 707 sewing machine.
A Bernina Nova sewing machine.
A Bernette 60 sewing machine.
A Janome 744D overlocker.
A Brother 640D overlocker.
Last edited by AliG on Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Image Image

Vivianne
TNN guru

Post by Vivianne » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:41 pm

Yay for getting a 930. :lol:

sarahw
TNN nerd

Post by sarahw » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:56 pm

I've got a Bernina Nova :lol:

Up til now, apart from whatever we used at school, I've only used the Elna my mum got for her 21st birthday, which makes it 40 years old and still going strong.
Back for another round with baby #3

AliG
TNN guru

Post by AliG » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:13 pm

Vivianne wrote:Yay for getting a 930. :lol:

:yes: I got it from WSS and it's been completely reconditioned. Can't wait to have a good play with it, but have to use the Janome for my current project as I'm sewing zips in and the 930 doesn't have any extra feet with it - do you have any spare feet (or a whole spare case with the feet) for the older Berninas Viv?

sarahw wrote:I've got a Bernina Nova :lol: .

:lol: Enjoy the Nova Sarah :wink:
Image Image

mama anne
TNN nerd

Re: What machine(s) do you have? (or have had)

Post by mama anne » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:42 pm

bumping up this great old thread :)

thinking specifically - what kinds of machines do you guys use for quilting? any recommendations?
Working Mama of miss7yo and mr5yo.

0ebuny
TNN nerd

Post by 0ebuny » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:07 am

i will add my lot in.

had
brother 2600: useless hated the damn thing never worked well couldent do inserts or multiple layers, jumped all over the place i found this one of the worse machines ive ever used so got rid of it again.

have: (way to many)
toyota quiltmaster this is my baby i got it about 5 years ago when my oldest was a baby it was about $399 on special. i have never ad any issues with it does multiple layers fine has a few fancy stitches does good buttonholes. this gets used and abused and never had any issues at all it gets used almost every day and for hours and days on end at times.

brother over lock 1034d this is my favorite over locker its a 4 thread it can do rolled hems and i believe dif feed cant remember tho its the easiest over locker to thread out of the ones i have. It also does some pretty thick fabrics. it has lots of options cutters on or off stitch length cant remember what the others are. only downfall is having to replace the cutters $50 for the pair (they can be sharpened) but again i use this machine everyday and for hours and hours some days so it cuts a lot of fabric i think someone just using it for home wouldn't have to replace the cutters anywhere near as often as i do.

jaome memorycraft 9500 i only use this for embroidery it does have all the normal sewing functions strait, buttonholes, zigzags, and heaps and heaps of other fancy stitches but isent quite as fast as my toyota it is lovely and easy to use for embroidery as it does it all by itself. you can download heaps of other designs for it so the options are almost endless. i got the software to go with it so you can make normal pictures into designs for the machine but havent really tried that yet.

janome (not sure of model number basic machine) got this for $50 on trade me does all the basics strait zigzag it only has about 20 stitches it as a one step buttonhole as well this is a good sturdy machine has gone through a few layers and is simple to use.

acme j653n got this again really cheap off trademe havent found it that great if i had paid more for it i would have been really disappointed it does the basics but dident do many layers and jumps around a bit and not all that easy to thread.

i have another overlocker but not sure of make and model lol have to hunt it down and add it on.
BEX

wahm to Mikayla waterbirth on 7/3/05, tristan 4/2/07 and Akasha (unplanned homebirth) 25/4/11
one angel baby Zane

Bum Basics: cheak out our facebook page were having a big sale.

AliG
TNN guru

Post by AliG » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:54 pm

I have (updated as of today):

*A Janome Memory Craft 7000 sewing machine. Lovely machine with lots of embroidery stitches and two different alphabets.

(29/01/10): A Bernina Nova bought for $10 from my local recycling 'tip shop'! Is missing the end cover but works absolutely fine

*(6/03/10): A Pfaff 1222E that I got from Trade Me - and I LOVE it!!

A Bernina 707 bought to replace my lovely old one, but sadly the motor blew on it when I first tried it out, so I'll be selling this for repair or parts soon.

A Globe Cub 6 bought for my 9 year old DD from our local 'tip shop'. In lovely condition and works beautifully.

*(7/07/10): A vintage Singer 201K (1955) - a beauty!

*A Babylock Eclipse overlocker which I bought super cheap off TradeMe. Threading is a breeze as it has jet air threading and it doesn't matter which order you thread it in. It also has a needle threader! I haven't used it on much yet, but it feels lovely, sounds great and I had an immediate bond with it

Have had:
A Husqvarna 6440 which was another bargain buy from my local recycling tip shop (passed it on to a friend's sister).
A Bernina 930 sewing machine.
A Bernina 707 sewing machine.
A Bernina Nova sewing machine.
A Bernette 60 sewing machine.
A Janome 744D overlocker.
A Brother 640D overlocker.

*These are machines I will probably never sell! (I say "probably", but you never know :lol:!)
Image Image

Mrs Shavas
TNN nerd

Post by Mrs Shavas » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:59 pm

I have a Bernina 730, as others have said, you can't beat the old Berninas. It handles pretty much everything (and I think it is older than I am), although it does have tension issues. Of course, that could be because I have never had it serviced :lol:

Babylock Overlocker, I've only just started using this, so I'm not sure how good it is in terms of overlockers, so far so good.
"almost without exception [women] are shown in their relation to men. It was strange to think that all the great women of fiction were, [...]not only seen by the other sex, but seen only in relation to the other sex. And how small a part of a woman’s life is that"Virginia Woolf
Mum to my P Monkey 18/04/08, fox 28/11/09, and Missy moo moo 2/07/12

NPMum
TNN nerd

Post by NPMum » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:20 pm

Thought I would add to this post since I have tried a new machine recently.

I have my Mums old but trusty 'Bernina matic electronic'
Mum Decided she would get me a new machine for my birthday and take her one back. Unfortunately I had endless troubles with the back stitch tangling or not being the right tension, it was also very stop or go, no in between speed and just not as user friendly and more 'clunky' than the Bernina. Apparently there was some manufacturers fault with the needle not lining up properly but even with this fixed it didn't solve my problem. The Bernina shop said they could sew with it fine so when I next had a problem I took it in. Long story short the Bernina shop said that it really is only suitable for doing things in a straight line and won't handle sewing around a tight curve.
Mum has taken the Bernette since she only really does mending these days and I have the Bernina back, happiness again.

Return to “DIY everything else”