The big Quiet Book project!!!

Kaz
TNN guru

Re: The big Quiet Book project!!!

Post by Kaz » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:15 pm

:eh: :smt060 would loveto once I've finished knitting the shawl for my brother. Not sure if I actually have the time though :roll:
You can never really take control of your life but you can control how you choose to live it.

Happychik
TNN nerd

Post by Happychik » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:23 pm

Megan wrote:I am thinking about them constantly too :lol: .
I want to know the nuts and bolts stuff before I start though - what are people using for their pages? Cotton, felt? Are you using interfacing to stiffen them a bit, or cotton batting? How will you put it together at the end?

I'd use felt for the pages then you don't need to use interfacing as it would be stiff enough already. I'd put them together with those d ring things so you can always add or take out pages.

krisha
TNN oracle

Post by krisha » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:24 pm

Wow that first link is amazing!!

Skyflame
TNN nutter

Post by Skyflame » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:11 pm

Hmmm might have to set aside some time to make one as a Christmas pressie
Julie ~ mum to Mr 4 and Mr 2 & Mr November 2011

Claire
TNN oracle

Post by Claire » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:23 pm

ok.. from my reading LOL.. apparently unless you have really good quality felt you're better off with cotton for the pages as the felt can pull out and pill a bit (although I guess you wouldnt have so much pilling if you didn't use velcro in it at all)
.. also good to have two pages (sew them together inside out and then turn right way out) and topstitch .. as then they are really strong. I could imagine they get battered over time!!
I've scored some high grade unbleached calico mucho cheapo off trademe so I think I'll use that for my pages. I will do an iron on interfacing as it does make it a lot easier when you are appliqueing (found that out from bitter experience :rotfl: ).. I've havent tried doing felt onto felt but I guess it would be the same...
The other good tip that I read was that you need to have two layers of felt for all the pieces that can come off (velcroed or buttoned etc) .. as they will fall apart quickly otherwise. Some people hot glue the pieces together.
Also any velcro needs to be female part on the book and male on the piece that comes off.
Most people seem to use the metal rings to bind them eh... I think I'll follow the crowd on that one...
I'm pretty sure they are just book rings
http://www.warehousestationery.co.nz/is ... LDg7rlbhY= ... so pretty cheap.
http://creatingbycami.blogspot.com/2010 ... cover.html
she hides the rings.. quite cool

phew.. can ya tell I've thought about it a bit LOL
My main aim, I think, is to make it really really sturdy so it lasts and she can give it to her kids.
Last edited by Claire on Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

macca
TNN guru

Post by macca » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:33 pm

been on my list forever - so I'm in - you know me.... :lol:
Melissa
Mum to Jack - born November 06 and Charlie - born May 09.
My blog http://maccafamily.blogspot.com

Claire
TNN oracle

Post by Claire » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:09 pm

you've got three to do havent you??? ! \:D/
I'm going to aim to do just the one for Christmas.. and then if it goes ok it'll be good presents for my neice's birthdays in Jan and Feb .. although I predict I'll be over it by then :lol:

Kaz
TNN guru

Post by Kaz » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:15 pm

I've used thermo drape for things that need to be firm, but not washed much.

Might be worth seeing if any sample books are on their way out at the moment, would make great pages.

You could also put grommets in the pages and tie them together :D
You can never really take control of your life but you can control how you choose to live it.

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:38 pm

I was planning to make a folder like the Cami link - will definitely do so now that I've seen my thoughts IRL.

I borrowed an Amy Butler book from the Library a month or two back. In the book were some fabric books - from memory they were the contrast B&W baby patterns. I like the patterns, but was not impressed with the execution of the spine - all the (double) pages were the same size and straight sewn down the middle which was a bit sloppy IMO 8-[ .

ETA years ago I made a wee book with tiny nappy samples for a "nappy art" submission for RNW. I used felt for the pages, blanket stitched them together, so it was quick & easy. BUT, the felt has pilled from use - it's not taken velcro to make it pill. I will be using non-felt fabric for my pages.
Leanne
Mum to 3 beautiful children
Image Small and Large pocket patterns available, for a small donation to Unicef. DIY kits also available for $5 each with free pattern. PM or email me for more info...

Claire
TNN oracle

Post by Claire » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:18 pm

yeah.. and looking at that again it would be good to get D rings eh.

dang.. I just realised that I should have got a magnetic snap in that last co-op you did Leanne.. doh .. just when I was good and stayed out of a co-op for a change :lol:

macca
TNN guru

Post by macca » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:28 pm

Well definately 2 maybe 3 depending on 1 nephew - think he might be a bit young for it yet though
Melissa
Mum to Jack - born November 06 and Charlie - born May 09.
My blog http://maccafamily.blogspot.com

Noisybabe007
TNN nerd

Post by Noisybabe007 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:32 pm

Those look amazing! (Another thing on my round-to-it list!)
Ang - Wife to Wonderful DH S :smt049, Mummy to Gorgeous O :princess: - 16/4/09, our Miracle V :princess: 11/10/11, & Wee Man Lucas 02/06/13- as well as 2 kittys Zoe and Blue :cat: :cat:

ImageImageImage

daydream97
TNN guru

Post by daydream97 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:36 pm

they are so cool :) i just finisehd making dd one the other week. really should take some photos of it aye? haha :)
Jenna
:girl: Miss Mikaela (03/09)
:angel: Dec 2010
:TNN2: Reuben owen (9/11)
:stork: 08/2013
blog - My family, crafts and Montessori journey :) -- http://ticefamilynz.blogspot.com/

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:37 pm

I have one you can have Claire 8-[ Shall add it to the pile of stuff to drop off :mrgreen: (just LMK if you want a large or small one)
Leanne
Mum to 3 beautiful children
Image Small and Large pocket patterns available, for a small donation to Unicef. DIY kits also available for $5 each with free pattern. PM or email me for more info...

Claire
TNN oracle

Post by Claire » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:20 pm

daydream97 wrote:they are so cool :) i just finisehd making dd one the other week. really should take some photos of it aye? haha :)
Yay
yes photos please!!!!

Return to “DIY everything else”