Clever curtain revamping ideas...creative peeps in here!

Clever curtain revamping ideas...creative peeps in here!

Postby jailee » Mon May 14, 2012 11:58 am

I'm after your clever creative (cheap!)ideas for my DD's new bedroom....
Before she moves in (and she's desperate to believe me!) we need curtains. (and gee they're not cheap when you have 2 decent sized windows.)
So, I've been thinking about reusing the existing roman blinds that were there. These are white, with narrow wooden battens horizontally which the strings are on for pulling it up iygwim. I had thought I couldn't reuse them because the metal brackets they hang on were all bent/split, but think I've sorted that with my hammer :wink: So I removed the battens and washed the fabric but there are some slight mildew spots at the bottom - any tips on how to get these out?
DD (7yrs) wants lots of pink in her room. :roll:
Can you fabric paint thermal curtain fabric? She'd like the whole thing pink! Eeeek. I know that will be only for a season though.
They were hanging outside the window frame, but I'm wondering if it would be better to cut them down and hang them between the window frames. Would this be a logistical nightmare with a roman blind and getting it balanced again? Am a bit nervous about this anyway incase I didn't get the measurements exact.
Your ideas please on what you would do....I wondered about leaving them white and painting the battens pink....and putting plenty of pink accessories in her room.
~ Jo ~
DD#1 Dec 04
DD#2 Jan 07
DS 2 Sept 09
User avatar
jailee
TNN nerd
 
Posts: 3923
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:16 pm
Location: Whangarei

Re: Clever curtain revamping ideas...creative peeps in here!

Postby JandC » Mon May 14, 2012 12:01 pm

Iron on fabric pictures? Perhaps put a border of pink flowers along the bottom?

Watered down exit mould sprayed on then wiped off will work on the mould but try in a non obvious spot first to make sure it doesn't change the colour of the fabric.
Natalie *Mum of MissJ 9yrs, MrC 6yrs and MissA 4yrs*
Simple sewing tutes here: http://sewingtutes.wordpress.com/

When you don't give up, you cannot fail
JandC
Queen of the sewing machine
 
Posts: 12438
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:18 pm
Location: England

Re: Clever curtain revamping ideas...creative peeps in here!

Postby sable » Mon May 14, 2012 12:17 pm

I wouldn't cut them down to go between the window frames simply because they'll keep less warmth in that way. As far as painting them, that might be expensive and probably quite hard to get an even colour. I'd consider painting some flowers or something on them instead of an allover colour. Or you could do some fabric applique, but you'd probably have to hand-sew them; that would make it easier to remove them in a year or so when she's changed what she likes though.

As far as mildew, I've never had much luck getting that out, applique or paint something special over that wee bit after you've treated it with vinegar to make sure the spores are dead.
User avatar
sable
Spinning Goddess
 
Posts: 14098
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:44 pm
Location: Christchurch

Re: Clever curtain revamping ideas...creative peeps in here!

Postby kryddle » Mon May 14, 2012 12:36 pm

Not sure if you could do it with what you have, but in miss 9s room here she really wanted Bratz Curtains, so DPs Nana made them with cheap duvet covers off trade me and just sewed them at the top onto the plain thermal curtains we already have, then if she wants something else later can just unpick the duvet and sew something else on
Krystle
Mum to Rylan 22/2/08 and
:angel: Zariah 12/4/13 fly free my beautiful girl
Image
User avatar
kryddle
TNN nerd
 
Posts: 3476
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:34 am
Location: Dunsandel

Re: Clever curtain revamping ideas...creative peeps in here!

Postby ClareBear » Mon May 14, 2012 1:14 pm

What about just leaving the blinds white and then making some thin gauzy sort of curtains to go over the top? ie, the blinds would keep the light out, the curtains just for looks. You could just have them on a string rather than a proper curtain track if they didn't need to be pulled all the time and you could get some cheap light fabric - maybe some of that sheer stuff with sparkles in it?

The other option I'd suggest is just going for plain white, and having plenty of pink elsewhere in the room. With my girls rooms I always intended to have nice curtains but never got around to it so they both still have navy blue, but I don't think its that noticeable and their rooms are still very girly (you've been in my girls rooms so you will know whether or not its actually noticeable having boring curtains, maybe I'm just used to it! :D)
Clare

Mummy to two gorgeous girls :princess: :princess: (Aug 05 and Feb 08) and one beautiful boy :king: (May 11)
User avatar
ClareBear
TNN nerd
 
Posts: 4149
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:27 am
Location: Whangarei

Re: Clever curtain revamping ideas...creative peeps in here!

Postby jailee » Mon May 14, 2012 5:28 pm

sable wrote:I wouldn't cut them down to go between the window frames simply because they'll keep less warmth in that way. As far as painting them, that might be expensive and probably quite hard to get an even colour. I'd consider painting some flowers or something on them instead of an allover colour. Or you could do some fabric applique, but you'd probably have to hand-sew them; that would make it easier to remove them in a year or so when she's changed what she likes though.

As far as mildew, I've never had much luck getting that out, applique or paint something special over that wee bit after you've treated it with vinegar to make sure the spores are dead.

The reason I am thinking of cutting them down is that the windows basically join at the corner of the room, and so the blinds have overhang on each side and they weren't even and it bugged me :lol:
Flowers/applique is a good idea...
~ Jo ~
DD#1 Dec 04
DD#2 Jan 07
DS 2 Sept 09
User avatar
jailee
TNN nerd
 
Posts: 3923
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:16 pm
Location: Whangarei

Re: Clever curtain revamping ideas...creative peeps in here!

Postby jailee » Mon May 14, 2012 5:29 pm

JandC wrote:Iron on fabric pictures? Perhaps put a border of pink flowers along the bottom?

Watered down exit mould sprayed on then wiped off will work on the mould but try in a non obvious spot first to make sure it doesn't change the colour of the fabric.

Good idea....will try the exit mould.
~ Jo ~
DD#1 Dec 04
DD#2 Jan 07
DS 2 Sept 09
User avatar
jailee
TNN nerd
 
Posts: 3923
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:16 pm
Location: Whangarei

Re: Clever curtain revamping ideas...creative peeps in here!

Postby jailee » Mon May 14, 2012 5:30 pm

kryddle wrote:Not sure if you could do it with what you have, but in miss 9s room here she really wanted Bratz Curtains, so DPs Nana made them with cheap duvet covers off trade me and just sewed them at the top onto the plain thermal curtains we already have, then if she wants something else later can just unpick the duvet and sew something else on

That's an interesting idea too....though I don't think it would work too well...would be very hard to get even without wrinkles...
~ Jo ~
DD#1 Dec 04
DD#2 Jan 07
DS 2 Sept 09
User avatar
jailee
TNN nerd
 
Posts: 3923
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:16 pm
Location: Whangarei

Re: Clever curtain revamping ideas...creative peeps in here!

Postby jailee » Mon May 14, 2012 5:35 pm

Clare that's what I'm thinking of doing....Jaimee is very keen on the organza type curtains. Just have to find some that aren't tab top. Might have to make them myself.
~ Jo ~
DD#1 Dec 04
DD#2 Jan 07
DS 2 Sept 09
User avatar
jailee
TNN nerd
 
Posts: 3923
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:16 pm
Location: Whangarei

Re: Clever curtain revamping ideas...creative peeps in here!

Postby LaraB » Mon May 14, 2012 6:55 pm

jailee wrote:
kryddle wrote:Not sure if you could do it with what you have, but in miss 9s room here she really wanted Bratz Curtains, so DPs Nana made them with cheap duvet covers off trade me and just sewed them at the top onto the plain thermal curtains we already have, then if she wants something else later can just unpick the duvet and sew something else on

That's an interesting idea too....though I don't think it would work too well...would be very hard to get even without wrinkles...



I did this for DS room, Mum bought 4 $8 duvets from the warehouse. I used two for curtains, but buying thermal fabric and backing them. The other two were used as duvets - one i cut down for his toddler bed, and one I have on his big bed now. They turned out great!
<-----My little munchkin
User avatar
LaraB
TNN nerd
 
Posts: 3608
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:23 pm
Location: Ohakea

Re: Clever curtain revamping ideas...creative peeps in here!

Postby jailee » Sat May 19, 2012 3:17 pm

Any other ideas for the mildew?
Tried straight exit mould (however I have no idea how old my bottle is. Many years old probably) and also bleach mixed with water. Didn't shift it at all.
~ Jo ~
DD#1 Dec 04
DD#2 Jan 07
DS 2 Sept 09
User avatar
jailee
TNN nerd
 
Posts: 3923
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:16 pm
Location: Whangarei

Re: Clever curtain revamping ideas...creative peeps in here!

Postby Callum's godmother » Sat May 19, 2012 4:35 pm

years ago used a spray on mould remover on velvet curtain bottoms - got rid of the mould but did leave some bleaching - so maybe get a new bottle of a different brand.
User avatar
Callum's godmother
TNN guru
 
Posts: 7583
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:39 pm
Location: Horowhenua

Re: Clever curtain revamping ideas...creative peeps in here!

Postby shorty » Sat May 19, 2012 9:40 pm

I wouldn't cut them down either . It would probably be a nightmare to get them up properly again.
Could you fabric paint pink stars ( it would be easy if you ironed on freezer paper stencils ( do you know about using freezer paper?) randomly but to cover the mildew spots?
shorty
TNN nerd
 
Posts: 2852
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:53 am

Re: Clever curtain revamping ideas...creative peeps in here!

Postby jailee » Sun May 20, 2012 4:10 pm

I think I've decided to pretty much leave them as is....and go with some organza curtains or something like that in a very girly colour. The mould spots aren't too bad, but they are faintly over much of the bottom 'panel' of the blinds, pretty difficult to hide, unless I painted a solid strip! One is worse than the other, but probably if I didn't point it out it wouldn't be too noticeable. I think I can live with them, although I am tempted to buy some curtain magic mould remover that I came across on TM, just to see if it really works.
~ Jo ~
DD#1 Dec 04
DD#2 Jan 07
DS 2 Sept 09
User avatar
jailee
TNN nerd
 
Posts: 3923
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:16 pm
Location: Whangarei

Re: Clever curtain revamping ideas...creative peeps in here!

Postby jhcsmum » Sun May 20, 2012 4:14 pm

I find Sard Soap fantastic for moving all sorts of stains, have used on mould on a backpack once and it worked fab.
Deb
Stitch Marker Maker
Image Image
User avatar
jhcsmum
TNN nerd
 
Posts: 2221
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:43 pm
Location: Greymouth


Return to DIY everything else

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest