DIY tip - stripping paint off door hinges

Minty
TNN oracle

DIY tip - stripping paint off door hinges

Post by Minty » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:18 pm

DH is painting our doors at the moment. I am ridiculously excited about it (particularly the toilet door, but that's a long story, and anyone who has seen our toilet door can probably remember how horrible it was!). With the windows this is the last DIY task and our house is finished!!! For the first time in 10 years.

Anyhoo, part of the job is stripping all the layers of paint off the door hinges, which are fifty years old and have probably never been stripped, just repainted, and repainted etc.

DH googled it and found that if you 'boil' them in an old crockpot with a bit of vinegar for a few hours the paint just peels off - and it's true. It does. We had an old crockpot that I thought was broken, so I replaced it, and then we discovered it wasn't broken. :oops: So, we used that.

If anyone else in Chch has door-hinges, or any other small painted metal bits to strip, you're welcome to borrow our DIY crockpot when we've finished with it. :D
Nic
Two funny, gorgeous DDs.

The art of living is more like wrestling than dancing. — Marcus Aurelius Antoninus

Going button-crazy here. http://www.buttonsbybenji.blogspot.com/

MJ(Sam's Mummy)
TNN nerd

Re: DIY tip - stripping paint off door hinges

Post by MJ(Sam's Mummy) » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:39 am

Oooh, thank you for the tip :D. I suspect most of our hinges need replacing from the ones I've looked at (certainly all our windows and external doors do), but for the few that don't, I think this could make them look not so manky anymore.
Maree
DS1 - Sam 5th April 2007
DS2 - Tom 9th Nov 2008
DD1 - Isla 25th Feb 2014

Return to “DIY everything else”