Selfish Knit - What Colour?

Post Reply
User avatar
nakigal
TNN nerd
Posts: 2483
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:34 pm
Location: New Plymouth

Selfish Knit - What Colour?

Post by nakigal » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:16 pm

I've decided my next knit is going to be another selfish knit. Last winter I made myself a Miss Jane in black, and I love it, I love it's fit and I love how I can dress it up or down. So...... I'm thinking maybe another one, but in a colour.

BUT..... I am not at all daring with colours (think 3 x black cardies in my drawer) and I normally team it up with jeans in the winter, although I would love to venture into more skirts, but I just don't know where to start. So, help me out, and tell me what colours are "it" for the coming winter, I really have no idea. :hide:

I really need a total wardrobe makeover, but it would have to be on a tight budget because we just don't have the $$$$ for me to go flitting off on a shopping excursion just because I don't like how I look.
Deborah
Mum to DD1 J 31/08/07 and DD2 P 06/10/09 - my two little princesses, and now a wee prince DS1 C 04/04/11

User avatar
Emma
TNN guru
Posts: 5959
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:05 pm
Location: Christchurch

Re: Selfish Knit - What Colour?

Post by Emma » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:40 pm

What colours are you naturally drawn too? What have you worn before and felt good in? What colour hair/eyes do you have?
I love colours :D
Emma
Mum to 5 lovely children

User avatar
Foxtrot
TNN nerd
Posts: 1054
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:28 pm
Location: Auckland

Re: Selfish Knit - What Colour?

Post by Foxtrot » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:08 pm

If it suits you, what about a nice mid-darkish purple? It pretty much goes with any other colours, and it's not too far off your usual black so you should be likely to wear it (I find if I get daring and buy something in a far out colour like orange I never wear it and inevitably slink back to safe old black or blue)
Bernadine
Image Image Image
Angel baby Feb 2010

“A person who has good thoughts cannot ever be ugly. You can have a wonky nose and a crooked mouth and a double chin and stick-out teeth, but if you have good thoughts they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely.” Roald Dahl

User avatar
Mrs Shavas
TNN nerd
Posts: 2814
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:42 pm
Location: New Plymouth
Contact:

Re: Selfish Knit - What Colour?

Post by Mrs Shavas » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:00 pm

what colours look good on your DDs? Are either of them the same colourings as you?
"almost without exception [women] are shown in their relation to men. It was strange to think that all the great women of fiction were, [...]not only seen by the other sex, but seen only in relation to the other sex. And how small a part of a woman’s life is that"Virginia Woolf
Mum to my P Monkey 18/04/08, fox 28/11/09, and Missy moo moo 2/07/12

User avatar
nakigal
TNN nerd
Posts: 2483
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:34 pm
Location: New Plymouth

Re: Selfish Knit - What Colour?

Post by nakigal » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:07 pm

Here is a particularly bad photo of me with the kids at the end of last winter. Everything is pretty much the same, except hair is a bit shorter. This is my natural hair colour and I can't see me having the time or money to change that anytime soon, it is a little bit lighter at the moment because of the sun, but not much. My eyes are a grey/blue.

I do have a bit of red in my wardrobe, and my summer wardrobe contains quite a bit of blue, otherwise fairly neutral (boring) colours.

I just made a mental note to give the camera to DH a bit more, there are HEAPS of photos of him with the kids and hardly any of me (this one is from October and is pretty much one of the most recent photos of me). 8-[
Attachments
DSCF4900.JPG
DSCF4900.JPG (108.32 KiB) Viewed 2970 times
Deborah
Mum to DD1 J 31/08/07 and DD2 P 06/10/09 - my two little princesses, and now a wee prince DS1 C 04/04/11

User avatar
Callog
TNN nutter
Posts: 579
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:47 am
Location: Taradise :-)

Re: Selfish Knit - What Colour?

Post by Callog » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:33 am

I really struggle with colour too - you aren't alone! What about charcoal, not black but still goes with every colour and not as harsh as black, or a dark blue? I like the idea of a darkish purple that was mentioned too.

Charcoal/grey is the colour I need to break away from, I'm dying to do a knit for myself in a *shock* colour, but am too scared to doing all that knitting and feeling like it's too bright :rotfl:
Nic, Mum to boisterous twin boys Callum and Logan, born March 2004 + gorgeous Eva born June 2009

Gestational surrogate to Lucian, born 27 July 2012

User avatar
goose
TNN nerd
Posts: 2209
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:58 pm
Location: Hawke's Bay

Re: Selfish Knit - What Colour?

Post by goose » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:40 am

If you look through lots of different women's cardy/jersey/top patterns on ravelry, you can look at the photos of different women wearing different colours. Look for the women who have similar colouring to you and see what stands out to you. It's amazing how different a pattern can look in different colours!
Rachael (mum to DD1 8yrs, and DD2 5yrs)

User avatar
Callog
TNN nutter
Posts: 579
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:47 am
Location: Taradise :-)

Re: Selfish Knit - What Colour?

Post by Callog » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:08 am

What are you planning on knitting? I need inspiration :D
Nic, Mum to boisterous twin boys Callum and Logan, born March 2004 + gorgeous Eva born June 2009

Gestational surrogate to Lucian, born 27 July 2012

User avatar
Emma
TNN guru
Posts: 5959
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:05 pm
Location: Christchurch

Re: Selfish Knit - What Colour?

Post by Emma » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:20 am

Greeny blue/ teal kind of a colour looks great on most people and will bring out your blue eyes :D
Emma
Mum to 5 lovely children

User avatar
rootoo
TNN guru
Posts: 8341
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:12 am
Location: Christchurch
Contact:

Re: Selfish Knit - What Colour?

Post by rootoo » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:35 pm

I say red :) it would go nicely with all the black you already have, and lovely with jeans too. a rich deep red though, not fire engine bright red ;)

i always knit and buy neutrals cos "they'll go with everything" and then end up with everything black or grey or denim. if i have colour it's usually blue :lol: I'm getting more adventurous, i got a pink scarf in the mail today, and my new raincoat is RED :mrgreen:
Rachel
Mama to Josh 6/10/08 and Ollie 25/5/11

http://www.facebook.com/featherbrushyarns

User avatar
nakigal
TNN nerd
Posts: 2483
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:34 pm
Location: New Plymouth

Re: Selfish Knit - What Colour?

Post by nakigal » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:53 pm

rootoo wrote:I say red :) it would go nicely with all the black you already have, and lovely with jeans too. a rich deep red though, not fire engine bright red ;)

i always knit and buy neutrals cos "they'll go with everything" and then end up with everything black or grey or denim. if i have colour it's usually blue :lol: I'm getting more adventurous, i got a pink scarf in the mail today, and my new raincoat is RED :mrgreen:
This is so me, pretty much 95% of my winter wardrobe is black/grey/denim, the other 5% is mainly made up of reds. I did originally think a deep rich red, but now I'm tempted by the deep purple as mentioned above. I will need to do some online shopping to see if I can find a colour that jumps out at me.
Deborah
Mum to DD1 J 31/08/07 and DD2 P 06/10/09 - my two little princesses, and now a wee prince DS1 C 04/04/11

User avatar
rootoo
TNN guru
Posts: 8341
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:12 am
Location: Christchurch
Contact:

Re: Selfish Knit - What Colour?

Post by rootoo » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:37 pm

nakigal wrote:
rootoo wrote:I say red :) it would go nicely with all the black you already have, and lovely with jeans too. a rich deep red though, not fire engine bright red ;)

i always knit and buy neutrals cos "they'll go with everything" and then end up with everything black or grey or denim. if i have colour it's usually blue :lol: I'm getting more adventurous, i got a pink scarf in the mail today, and my new raincoat is RED :mrgreen:
This is so me, pretty much 95% of my winter wardrobe is black/grey/denim, the other 5% is mainly made up of reds. I did originally think a deep rich red, but now I'm tempted by the deep purple as mentioned above. I will need to do some online shopping to see if I can find a colour that jumps out at me.
no, you need to go to an actual shop and try on lots of different colours and see which ones look really good on you! there are colours i love that I just can't wear
Rachel
Mama to Josh 6/10/08 and Ollie 25/5/11

http://www.facebook.com/featherbrushyarns

knappers
TNN nerd
Posts: 1425
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:19 pm

Re: Selfish Knit - What Colour?

Post by knappers » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:26 pm

I'm going for a light grey for my next knit. I actually have heaps of colour in my wardrobe - but hardly anything that goes with anything else! I think most colours would suit you. I really love green, goes great with denim and black, but unless you like the christmas look it doesn't go so great with red!

Post Reply

Return to “Yarns Crafts (knitting, crochet etc)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 12 guests