Help with sleeves pls!

MumAmber
TNN nerd

Help with sleeves pls!

Post by MumAmber » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:15 pm

Ok I'm making a little einstein cardi and I got to the sleeves, so I picked up the stitches for the sleeves onto the needle - but now i have a ball of wool over here, and the knitting over here, and how do I rejoin the 2? There must an obvious way, I just cant see it! TIA :D
Amber, Mum to Anwyn 11/08, Calvin 05/11 and Miriam 07/13

Minty
TNN oracle

Re: Help with sleeves pls!

Post by Minty » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:26 pm

I just break off the yarn I'm finished with (leaving plenty to weave in), then I start knitting and for the first stitch I loop the loose end around the stitch and pull the loose end so that it's running along the yarn connected to the ball. For the second stitch I wrap the normal strand (connected to the ball) AND the loose end that I had run alongside the working yarn (so the second stitch will have two wraps of yarn, which you need to remember when you come back the other way and just knit into both at the same time, so that you don't make an extra stitch - it's pretty easy to spot, just looks like a thicker stitch on your needle). Probably easier to try it whilst reading instructions, might not make much sense without the yarn and needles in your hand. In other words

1. Insert needle as if to knit
2. Take your new strand and make a loop about five inches from end and place over knitting needle, then knit as normal
3. Insert needle for next stitch and wrap both working yarn (connected to ball) and loose end yarn around at the same time, this connects the new strand to your work. Weave the loose end in once you've finished.
Nic
Two funny, gorgeous DDs.

The art of living is more like wrestling than dancing. — Marcus Aurelius Antoninus

Going button-crazy here. http://www.buttonsbybenji.blogspot.com/

MumAmber
TNN nerd

Re: Help with sleeves pls!

Post by MumAmber » Mon May 27, 2013 1:07 pm

Thanks Minty, I finally decided to stop staring at it and try it, and it worked! Of course then i did a knit row instead of a purl row but managed to get someone to fix it for me and i'm sorted now! I'm quite excited this might be finished for baby to wear home from hospital!
Amber, Mum to Anwyn 11/08, Calvin 05/11 and Miriam 07/13

Return to “Yarns Crafts (knitting, crochet etc)”