mums of girls or anyone knitting for girls

goose
TNN nerd

mums of girls or anyone knitting for girls

Post by goose » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:20 am

I have just finished a bloom for my 3yr old, and oh my gosh LOVE it, wish I'd purchased this pattern the day it was released years ago!! Just thought I'd let others know in case they've never thought of this pattern when knitting for girls. I found it to be quite a fast knit, the ribbed top has loads of ease, and the skirt is gorgeous.

Got lots of comments at our playcentre matariki get-together last night, and decided I really wanted to make her another one so came home and cast on once the kids were in bed :D

:knit: :knit: :knit:
Rachael (mum to DD1 8yrs, and DD2 5yrs)

growingclothie
TNN oracle

Re: mums of girls or anyone knitting for girls

Post by growingclothie » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:25 pm

I knitted 3 when the pattern was first released. My first was a 4ply in white for K's dedication at our church as a newborn, she wore it till she was almost 2yrs old. The other two are mediums which she has worn since around 12mths as dresses and will wear as they become tunics/ tops for at least a couple more years. I'm tempted to knit another 4ply for Snowbunny I love them so much
Bec

Home educating mum to precious blessings:
*MissW (stillborn Jan'04)
*MasterZ (11yrs old, born Jan'04)
*MasterH (7yrs old, born Sept'07)
*MissK (4yrs old, born Nov'10)
*MissF (2yrs old, born July'13)

Visit me on Ravelry http://www.ravelry.com/projects/SteppingInWater

goose
TNN nerd

Post by goose » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:03 pm

It's a great pattern huh :D. I made the 8ply version, with one extra lot of the lace pattern, so 5 instead of 4, to get extra length. It fits perfectly with a long sleeve t and tights underneath (dd is 3yrs 2months but is small for her age). Would love to make the 10ply version for my older girl, but she refuses to wear wool now (even super soft merino :roll: ) and I'm not sure if making it in cotton would leave it too heavy and prone to sagging. Will think on that one.

channyhoo
TNN nerd

Post by channyhoo » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:54 pm

Dare I say it- what about a nice acrylic? You can occasionally find a nice one. Remember that Debbie Bliss dress I made Kalila? That is still going strong errrr four years later with no sag
Chantelle
Lucky Mum of Kalila and wee angel baby May Uenuku.

goose
TNN nerd

Post by goose » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:08 pm

channyhoo wrote:Dare I say it- what about a nice acrylic? You can occasionally find a nice one. Remember that Debbie Bliss dress I made Kalila? That is still going strong errrr four years later with no sag
:rotfl: #-o. I didn't even think of acrylic :oops: quite the yarn snob huh :oops: You're right, a nice 10ply acrylic would be perfect. I still prefer wool on the little one, well as long as she'll wear it then that's my preferred option, but acrylic would be fine for Lucy.

I don't remember the dress, but I do remember a cardy that you knit in acrylic. Can't remember the name of it, there was pink and blue and green and maybe orange, I think the cardy had a zip?

littlejo
TNN nerd

Post by littlejo » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:13 pm

I'm having to re-adjust my yarn ideals too - DD will not go near wool in any form (merino fabric also out). :roll: I should probably destash...

But, yes, bloom is gorgeous. :smt049
I found the rib section slow going, but it was worth it in the end, and I think I'd be a fair bit faster now.
Jo

DS - Apr 2007
DD - Nov 2009

Sherbert handcrafts:
https://www.facebook.com/sherbertnz

goose
TNN nerd

Post by goose » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:31 pm

Well, I was all set to to brave spotlight and see what I could find in their 10ply selection, but tried the dress I made for the 3yr old on the 6yr old for size, and it's fits perfectly as a tunic over jeans \:D/

This pattern just got even better (and I was already loving it!) :lol:

I have some 8ply spring cotton from Bendigo here, in a daffodil yellow colour that dd2 chose for a cardigan, but I'm not loving the cardigan so will undo it and knit a bloom instead :D

Nessles
TNN nutter

Post by Nessles » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:42 pm

I was just going to suggest knitting a medium with a few extra stitches under the arm and extra length. My tall and slim DD8 wore one like this until this year, the only reason DD5 got it this year was because it was too short to wear to church(as it is kept for good and going out). Plus the fact that little sister loves dresses and skirts and would get more wear out of it.

j-j
TNN guru

Post by j-j » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:21 pm

I'd be careful knitting it in cotton (and some acrylics). The rib mightn't work as well as with wool and acrylic can sometimes be difficult/not possible to block lace with
Julia - Knitting nut and mum to 3 delicious children: DD - 9, DS#1 - 7 and DS#3 - 5

Knitting Pattern Designer of The Little Rascals, Poplar, Katniss, Primrose, Greyson patterns - available HERE

goose
TNN nerd

Post by goose » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:05 am

j-j wrote:I'd be careful knitting it in cotton (and some acrylics). The rib mightn't work as well as with wool and acrylic can sometimes be difficult/not possible to block lace with
On closer inspection, it's Bendigo harmony that I've got here, 30% wool, 69.6% cotton and 0.4% lycra. Hopefully that will knit up ok in this pattern, will start the bodice and see what I think from there 8-[

Khai
TNN oracle

Post by Khai » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:31 am

Return to “Yarns Crafts (knitting, crochet etc)”