Knitting gloves/handwarmers

MJ(Sam's Mummy)
TNN nerd

Knitting gloves/handwarmers

Post by MJ(Sam's Mummy) » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:36 am

Ok, this is probably a really stupid question but, I'm attempting to learn to knit and I saw a pattern for 'easy kids hand warmers' and after reading the pattern -which I can actually follow!- I thought I'd try them. Cannot figure out how to knit them on circulars though. I can cast on the 28(I think) stitches, but when it comes to joining them, they won't join because all the stitches are on the needle not the cable if that makes sense? Theres not enough stitches to reach to the cable. Can they be knitted on circulars or not? I'm obviously missing something 8-[
Maree
DS1 - Sam 5th April 2007
DS2 - Tom 9th Nov 2008
DD1 - Isla 25th Feb 2014

littlejo
TNN nerd

Re: Knitting gloves/handwarmers

Post by littlejo » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:54 am

Have you done or heard of magic loop?

I was scared of trying it for ages, but was finally shown and never looked back.
So you need a longer needle/cable for it (maybe 80cm-100cm).
Cast on the 28 stitches, then slide them all onto the flexible cable part. Then kinda fold the cable in half and slip half the the stitches to one side of the fold, and half to the other. Then you just knit it. Unlike normal circular knitting, you do have to turn and adjust the needles after each half of the round.
YouTube is good for seeing how it's done.

Or you might possibly be able to knit on 30cm circs, but probably a bit tricky. I have done adult mitts on them, but it wasn't that easy. Was a bit of a stretch to spread the stitches around.
Jo

DS - Apr 2007
DD - Nov 2009

Sherbert handcrafts:
https://www.facebook.com/sherbertnz

MJ(Sam's Mummy)
TNN nerd

Post by MJ(Sam's Mummy) » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:38 pm

littlejo wrote:Have you done or heard of magic loop?

I was scared of trying it for ages, but was finally shown and never looked back.
So you need a longer needle/cable for it (maybe 80cm-100cm).
Cast on the 28 stitches, then slide them all onto the flexible cable part. Then kinda fold the cable in half and slip half the the stitches to one side of the fold, and half to the other. Then you just knit it. Unlike normal circular knitting, you do have to turn and adjust the needles after each half of the round.
YouTube is good for seeing how it's done.

Or you might possibly be able to knit on 30cm circs, but probably a bit tricky. I have done adult mitts on them, but it wasn't that easy. Was a bit of a stretch to spread the stitches around.
Oooh, heard of it but never seen it. I'll have to look it up on YouTube, thank you :D
Maree
DS1 - Sam 5th April 2007
DS2 - Tom 9th Nov 2008
DD1 - Isla 25th Feb 2014

Foxtrot
TNN nerd

Post by Foxtrot » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:39 pm

Yes it sounds like you are trying to just knit them on a circular, which won't work as the diameter of the hand warmer is way smaller than the circle the circular needle makes. As littlejo says you need to use the magic loop technique with a longer circular needle. Just type it into YouTube and you'll find lots of videos showing you how to do it. It's really easy once you get the hang of it so don't be scared.
Bernadine
Image Image Image
Angel baby Feb 2010

“A person who has good thoughts cannot ever be ugly. You can have a wonky nose and a crooked mouth and a double chin and stick-out teeth, but if you have good thoughts they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely.” Roald Dahl

nakigal
TNN nerd

Post by nakigal » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:35 pm

Are you sure they are supposed to be knit in the round?

With the kinds handwarmers I normally knit flat and then just sew them up when I have finished knitting the rectangle. That way you can leave a little gap in the seam for the thumb to poke through.
Deborah
Mum to DD1 J 31/08/07 and DD2 P 06/10/09 - my two little princesses, and now a wee prince DS1 C 04/04/11

littlejo
TNN nerd

Post by littlejo » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:49 pm

MJ(Sam's Mummy) wrote:Oooh, heard of it but never seen it. I'll have to look it up on YouTube, thank you :D
You won't look back! I don't know why I didn't learn it sooner - after I had seen it, it just seemed so simple. Love it now for hats etc - don't have to change to dpns when you get to the top. Also made me willing to try socks which I love (not that I have made all that many as I am slooooow, but I do love them).
Jo

DS - Apr 2007
DD - Nov 2009

Sherbert handcrafts:
https://www.facebook.com/sherbertnz

HCsMum
TNN nerd

Post by HCsMum » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:52 pm

the other option is to use DPNs (double pointed needles) they are smaller circumference or a 30cm cable
Emma

ImageImage

Listen to the MUSTN'TS, child, listen to the DON'TS, listen to the SHOULDN'TS, the IMPOSSIBLES, the WON'TS, listen to the NEVER HAVES then listen close to me - anything can happen, child, ANYTHING can be. - Shel Silverstein

MJ(Sam's Mummy)
TNN nerd

Post by MJ(Sam's Mummy) » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:08 pm

Foxtrot wrote:Yes it sounds like you are trying to just knit them on a circular, which won't work as the diameter of the hand warmer is way smaller than the circle the circular needle makes. As littlejo says you need to use the magic loop technique with a longer circular needle. Just type it into YouTube and you'll find lots of videos showing you how to do it. It's really easy once you get the hang of it so don't be scared.
Yep, I kinda figured it wasn't going to work once I'd cast on (which I was pretty happy that I'd managed that!), just had no idea how to make it work! It's different to sewing, I can figure that out pretty quickly, probably why I keep getting frustrated at myself with the knitting, I really think I need time to just sit and concentrate, rather than trying to fit 5 mins in here and there and forgetting what is probably important steps :hide:
Maree
DS1 - Sam 5th April 2007
DS2 - Tom 9th Nov 2008
DD1 - Isla 25th Feb 2014

Return to “Yarns Crafts (knitting, crochet etc)”