Another knitting question

MJ(Sam's Mummy)
TNN nerd

Another knitting question

Post by MJ(Sam's Mummy) » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:19 am

Thank you for the previous suggestion of magic loop, turns out it says to use that on the pattern if I'd read it properly :oops: , and I've found it easy to use after a bit of practice :D
Next questions, why are my stitches not looking right? On the inside they look like they should, but not the outside. I'm sure it's not meant to be knitted inside out? My knit stitch looks like the yoke part on a milo vest and the inside looks like the body part, which is how the inside is meant to look? Help?
Maree
DS1 - Sam 5th April 2007
DS2 - Tom 9th Nov 2008
DD1 - Isla 25th Feb 2014

Amethyst
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Re: Another knitting question

Post by Amethyst » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:20 am

My knitting in the round always looks backward of what everyone else's looks too. Don't stress :).
Pooh-Bah, Lord High everything else :roll:
Mamma to 3 wee product testers :king: 12 :king: 10 :queen: 8

Foxtrot
TNN nerd

Post by Foxtrot » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:48 am

It sounds like you are knitting inside out maybe? (like if the circle of knitting is in front of you you are knitting the far side, with the cable coming around in front of you closest to your tummy??) If you want to fix it just flip the cable down underneath the bit you are knitting and around to the back, so the part you are knitting is closest to you. It shouldn't matter if you continue as you are though, you should be able to just cast off and then turn it outside in when you are finished.
Bernadine
Image Image Image
Angel baby Feb 2010

“A person who has good thoughts cannot ever be ugly. You can have a wonky nose and a crooked mouth and a double chin and stick-out teeth, but if you have good thoughts they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely.” Roald Dahl

MJ(Sam's Mummy)
TNN nerd

Post by MJ(Sam's Mummy) » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:59 am

Foxtrot wrote:It sounds like you are knitting inside out maybe? (like if the circle of knitting is in front of you you are knitting the far side, with the cable coming around in front of you closest to your tummy??) If you want to fix it just flip the cable down underneath the bit you are knitting and around to the back, so the part you are knitting is closest to you. It shouldn't matter if you continue as you are though, you should be able to just cast off and then turn it outside in when you are finished.
I'll try that :D So when I'm knitting should the tube that's coming out be going away from me or towards me?
I've just undone it all again, 4th time :gaah: , knitted one stitch in the middle of the thumb hole. Perhaps knitting with a cold and on almost no sleep for a few days isn't the best idea. 5th time lucky maybe?
Maree
DS1 - Sam 5th April 2007
DS2 - Tom 9th Nov 2008
DD1 - Isla 25th Feb 2014

Foxtrot
TNN nerd

Post by Foxtrot » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:42 am

MJ(Sam's Mummy) wrote:
Foxtrot wrote:It sounds like you are knitting inside out maybe? (like if the circle of knitting is in front of you you are knitting the far side, with the cable coming around in front of you closest to your tummy??) If you want to fix it just flip the cable down underneath the bit you are knitting and around to the back, so the part you are knitting is closest to you. It shouldn't matter if you continue as you are though, you should be able to just cast off and then turn it outside in when you are finished.
I'll try that :D So when I'm knitting should the tube that's coming out be going away from me or towards me?
I've just undone it all again, 4th time :gaah: , knitted one stitch in the middle of the thumb hole. Perhaps knitting with a cold and on almost no sleep for a few days isn't the best idea. 5th time lucky maybe?
Well if you imagine the circle being horizontal, the tube comes out the bottom. When I do it I am knitting on the edge of the circle closest to me, so in practice the far side drops a bit lower down and the tube comes towards me. Does that make sense?
Bernadine
Image Image Image
Angel baby Feb 2010

“A person who has good thoughts cannot ever be ugly. You can have a wonky nose and a crooked mouth and a double chin and stick-out teeth, but if you have good thoughts they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely.” Roald Dahl

MJ(Sam's Mummy)
TNN nerd

Post by MJ(Sam's Mummy) » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:56 pm

I think so. I'm going to have to try it before I totally get it I think. I can picture it in my head though I think. Thanks :D
Maree
DS1 - Sam 5th April 2007
DS2 - Tom 9th Nov 2008
DD1 - Isla 25th Feb 2014

Khai
TNN oracle

Post by Khai » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:54 pm

If you are doing stocking stitch (knit every round) and the outside is bars and the inside "V"s, you are knitting inside out. You should just be able to turn it out the right way and continue knitting.

MJ(Sam's Mummy)
TNN nerd

Post by MJ(Sam's Mummy) » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:45 pm

I seem to be getting it the right way this time. Not sure what went wrong with my ribbing, it's only on one half of it, and somehow I've gone from 28 stitches when I started to 40 now. Can't figure out how I did that, but I'm not undoing it again! But I'm stuck on the thumbhole again, I've managed the first row which said to turn work and purl all stitches, the it says to knit the next row, but whichever way I look at it, I can't figure out how to do that without closing part of the thumb gap? So confused!
Maree
DS1 - Sam 5th April 2007
DS2 - Tom 9th Nov 2008
DD1 - Isla 25th Feb 2014

Foxtrot
TNN nerd

Post by Foxtrot » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:32 pm

Hmm that does sound confusing. What pattern are you using? Maybe you turn and purl all stitches, then turn again and knit them all back to the start again. That would make a hole for the thumb.
Bernadine
Image Image Image
Angel baby Feb 2010

MJ(Sam's Mummy)
TNN nerd

Post by MJ(Sam's Mummy) » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:51 pm

I think that might be what I ended up doing, but I'll have to take another look tomorrow during the baby's nap because I just can't think straight in the evenings atm. I suspect I'll be undoing the last few rows I did and trying it again though :(
The pattern is called 'Easy childs handwarmers' I think, on ravelry. Honestly, it looks really easy but I'm managing to do a good job of stuffing it up!
Maree
DS1 - Sam 5th April 2007
DS2 - Tom 9th Nov 2008
DD1 - Isla 25th Feb 2014

Foxtrot
TNN nerd

Post by Foxtrot » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:26 am

I think I know how you got all those extra stitches too. When you change from a purl stitch to a knit one you need to move the yarn to the back first by putting it underneath the needle. If you wrap it over the top of the needle to get it to the back it stays on the needle and when you do the next row it looks like another stitch and you knit it by accident.

(and same for when you change from knit to purl and need to move the yarn to the front to purl - wrap it under the needle rather than over or it makes a new stitch)
Bernadine
Image Image Image
Angel baby Feb 2010

MJ(Sam's Mummy)
TNN nerd

Post by MJ(Sam's Mummy) » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:59 pm

After putting these aside after undoing them so many times, I finally sat down without interuption and followed the pattern 1 row at a time. Funny how easy it was when I did that and wasn't trying to rush ahead. Anyway, I really like them, they just fit Tom (5 1/2yrs) and would fit Isla next year. They're quite fast for someone as slow as me to knit, so I might have to do a few different colours for next winter. I came across someone on here who'd done a whole lot of different colours/patterns/sizes etc, so I'm now somewhat inspired :D
Maree
DS1 - Sam 5th April 2007
DS2 - Tom 9th Nov 2008
DD1 - Isla 25th Feb 2014

Return to “Yarns Crafts (knitting, crochet etc)”