FAQ for beginner knitters

Claire
TNN oracle

Post by Claire » Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:05 pm

We'll have to do a kool aid-acino Michelle.
I was scared but did it in my rental anyway and it all came off just fine! :wink:

LemonNZ
TNN guru

Post by LemonNZ » Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:09 pm

Sounds Fab! I NEED to meet Andrea too as I keep reading her blog and dreaming of all those yummy projects...and of course her baking...when does she find the time?

shortly
TNN guru

Post by shortly » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:47 pm

Newborn Soaker on flat needles:

Cast on 30 stitches, rib 10 rows, start SS with inc at each end of row and foll alt row (34). SS 27 rows, then dec 2 stitches at the end of each kit row until 20 stitches, SS 6 rows, then inc each end of knit row until 38 stitches. SS 27 rows, dec at each end of knit row and foll alt row (34), rib 10 rows.

I've crocheted the leg cuffs but you could easily rib them instead.

Sheryl

Mum to Shay (17) Alison (7) and Rebecca (6), obsessive knitter, full-time teacher, and *still* working on my Masters. Not long to go now!!

Callum's godmother
TNN guru

Post by Callum's godmother » Sun May 06, 2007 1:29 pm

You have done a great job Jenny. :smt041 :curtaincall: :knit:

Also some one had a post about sizing for babies which would be good for people knitting for new babies - I'll go and look for it!!

Most of your 100% wool 'wash and wear' yarns are soft and they would be the most reasonable in price (especially in the knitworld sales!) - cleckheaton, patons, tapestry, clan stewart (woolmart), pure wool (spotlight brand) and shepherd (although I would only recommend this wool with the advice that some of us have found it stretched quite considerably, and the company has not made any attempts to come up with answers despite my repeated emails, and it is expensive!). Also worth mentioning is the more recent range that Knitworld has - I think it's called Hummingbird, not the best colour range for babies and children, but definitely value for money - it doesn't say where it is imported from ?China!!

In relation to 'handwash only' wool (ie has not been thru the same processes as machine wash wool) - the softest we can get in NZ is merino, and it does pill a bit. A really nice choice would be Utiki merino.

Although the 'natural' wools may be a bit 'less soft' they have the advantage of being great NZ wool, and if you can get it local even better ... no wool miles!!!

Motherlove
TNN convert

Post by Motherlove » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:35 am

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

Was compiling a question in my head (type of wool, ply to use and patterns) when I came across this. Still have a couple more, but will continue looking around first and see if I can't find the answers somewhere else.

Again, thank you.

Shaq
[url=http://lilypie.com][img]http://b5.lilypie.com/XlPVp12/.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://lilypie.com][img]http://m1.lilypie.com/ezjPp13/.png[/img][/url]

sunbird73
TNN nerd

Post by sunbird73 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:48 am

shortly - how on earth did you figure where the stripes go to match front and back? just knitted my first soaker (too big lol) but none of the stripes matched at all - still looks nice tho, but matching would be better!

And how much wool to make a nb soaker do you think? And is harmony merino acceptable for a nb (what I have) or not soft enough?

I have a friend due with bubs #1 at the end of the week, and thought I would knit a soaker to go with the other naps I have made her - would you give a soaker to a complete cloth newbie?

sorry for all the questions!
DS 12yrs, DD 9yrs, and DS 6....

[url=http://lilypie.com][img]http://b2.lilypie.com/lKR4p13/.png[/img][/url]

mama anne
TNN nerd

Post by mama anne » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:42 pm

sunbird73 wrote:shortly - how on earth did you figure where the stripes go to match front and back? just knitted my first soaker (too big lol) but none of the stripes matched at all - still looks nice tho, but matching would be better!

if you count how many rows of each colour you do it'll be easy to match the stripes.

And how much wool to make a nb soaker do you think? And is harmony merino acceptable for a nb (what I have) or not soft enough?

Definately wont need more than 50g for a newborn soaker. Not sure about harmony merino sorry - anyone else?

I have a friend due with bubs #1 at the end of the week, and thought I would knit a soaker to go with the other naps I have made her - would you give a soaker to a complete cloth newbie?

sorry for all the questions!

If you're making her other nappies, then I would - I'd just tell her to MAKE SURE she doesnt wash it with the other baby things, give her easy to follow care instructions, and tell her that if she has any lanisoh then she can use that to lanolise it when she eventually washes it in wool wash.
Otherwise, give her a little bit of what you use to lanolise?[/quote]
Working Mama of miss7yo and mr5yo.

JJJ
TNN nerd

Post by JJJ » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:45 am

sunbird73 wrote:shortly - how on earth did you figure where the stripes go to match front and back? just knitted my first soaker (too big lol) but none of the stripes matched at all - still looks nice tho, but matching would be better!

If you are doing a pattern like the one Shortly gave above, where there are more stitches at the back than at the front, then the easiest way to do stripes is to only do them on the body of the soaker, down to where the legs start (like in Shortly's pic above). Then you only have to count the number of rows between the top of the legs and waistband (before you start knitting, obviously). Eg for Shortly's soaker, from the waistband to the start of the legs (so up to and not including the first decrease row) is 30 rows (1st row with inc at each end + a purl row + knit row with inc at each end + 27 rows ss). The back is identical.

Now, when you work out the spacing of the stripes, remember that you are knitting the back from the bottom up. So if for example you do 6 stripes on the front of the soaker (eg (blue for 5 rows, white for 5 rows) x 3) you will need to reverse the order for the back of the soaker (eg white first, then blue).

If you want to put stripes all the way down the soaker, you will have to work out the total number of rows you are knitting. So taking Shortly's pattern above for example (and not including the waist), you'd have:
30 rows (as explained above) +
dec 2 stitches at the end of each kit row until 20 stitches
= the equivalent of 1 stitch decrease per row, so going from 34 stitches to 20 stitches is 14 rows +
6 rows ss for the crotch +
then inc each end of knit row until 38 stitches
so going from 20 stitches to 38 stitches = 18 rows +
30 rows ss for the body
= 30 + 14 + 6 + 18 + 30 = 98 rows.

If you want to have the same stripe pattern throughout the soaker then you will have to do a bit of maths to work out if that pattern will fit within the 98 rows (I find drawing the design helps!) Since you want the legs to start and finish on a stripe of the same colour, you will probably want to do an odd number of stripes through the crotch. If the stripe pattern you want to do doesn't quite fit within 98 rows, you can add a row or two to the crotch easily, which won't affect the size of the soaker very much.

For an example, if I want to do 2 colours of 4 stripes each. 98 divided by 4 is 24.5 so I know I'm either going to have to do a couple of thinner stripes (maybe make the first and last stripes only 3 rows each so I'd have 2x3 + 23x4 rows = 98 rows - note that this would be 25 stripes) or add a couple of rows in the crotch. Now if I just make the first stripes narrower, then I will have to start each stripe in a purl row and while that is fine, I prefer not to do that so I might just add 2 rows though the crotch (ie ss 8 rows instead of 6). That would give me 100 rows = 25x4. Having an odd number of stripes means that the front will match the back.

HTH
Mama to Elliott and Connor

nova
TNN oracle

Post by nova » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:06 am

just came across a great tip :) thought i'd share...

if you need to do a gauge swatch for circular knitting, just do it like a giant i-cord on your circs/dpns by knitting across, pushing the knitting to the other end of the needle, pass the wool across the back but *don't* pull it tight! keep it as a flat piece, and you'll have a gauge swatch that is all knitted! :D (uses quite a bit of wool, so you might want to frog it afterwards ;) )
:star:

helennz
TNN nerd

Post by helennz » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:54 pm

I just thought I would add a little bit on yarn thicknesses and standard knitting tensions.

Code: Select all

Standard Yarn Weights

Name       Ply (UK, NZ, AU)    Wraps per inch    Knit gauge (4 in / 10 cm)    
Thread                                                           
Cobweb      1 ply                                        

Lace        2 ply                                         32-34 stitches       

Light
Fingering   3 ply                                         32 stitches    

Fingering   4 ply                14 wpi                   28 stitches              

Sport       5 ply                12 wpi                   24-26 stitches    

DK          8 ply                11 wpi                   22 stitches                  

Worsted    10 ply                9 wpi                    20 stitches              

Aran       10 ply                8 wpi                    18 stitches                

Bulky      12 ply                7 wpi                    14-15 stitches       

Super Bulky                     5-6 wpi                   8-12 stitches                

Wpi stands for wraps per inch and is a spinning term which is used to describe the thickness of the yarn.
Ply is an old term which in knitting describes thickness but in spinning describes the number of strands of yarn that are plied together during the spinning process to make up the strand of yarn. For example some super bulky yarn can be described as 2ply, which just means that it is made up of two strands twisted together.

To figure out the number of wraps per inch you need to wrap 1 inch of yarn (2.5cm) around a ruler widthwise and count how many times it wraps around the ruler. Comparing to the chart above will give you the approximate thickness of the yarn which will then need to be confirmed by knitting a tension square.
Helen: Ask me about the Dunedin snap press, demo kit, newborn hire kit, handknit soakers and longies
Mum to Sam, Mollie and Meghan
I blog here: [url]http://purplefish.g.org.nz[/url]

Noisybabe007
TNN nerd

Re: FAQ for beginner knitters

Post by Noisybabe007 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:30 pm

Hi all - I have a beginners knitting question - with something that is best suited for 8 ply DK with 4mm needles, if I was to use 10 ply, should I change to which size needle, and do a size down in the knitting ie wanting 6 mth size, so do 3 mth size?

Also - where something doesn't have a ply - and instead has worsted weight - is that 10 ply or ?????

Thanks!!
Ang - Wife to Wonderful DH S :smt049, Mummy to Gorgeous O :princess: - 16/4/09, our Miracle V :princess: 11/10/11, & Wee Man Lucas 02/06/13- as well as 2 kittys Zoe and Blue :cat: :cat:

ImageImageImage

tastic
TNN nerd

Post by tastic » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:07 pm

just wondering if a pattern says worsted weight or 10ply could you knit the same thing in fingering or 4ply? and will I need to adjust the pattern?
Trish :Knitting: :sew:
Mum to Bailey - 7 :king:, our NICU Miracle Aidan (born at 26 weeks) - 6 :king: and Adele - 2 :queen:
Image Image Image

my goal this year: beat last years total!
ImageImage

RachaelD
TNN nerd

Post by RachaelD » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:12 pm

tastic wrote:just wondering if a pattern says worsted weight or 10ply could you knit the same thing in fingering or 4ply? and will I need to adjust the pattern?

If you knit 4ply doubled, ie holding two strands together, it should come out at approximately the same gauge as worsted or 10ply.
Rachael, Mum to Melissa 5/6/05 and Hannah 2/10/06... and now Archie the Miniature Schnauzer

Read about our USA trip here... 293 days and counting...

On Instagram here.

Handknits for Children, plus some accessories for the Mum's too.
More info on my Blog, Facebook page or PM for details.

tastic
TNN nerd

Post by tastic » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:07 pm

ok a complete NEWBIE question
pattern says k2, yo, k2tog

so knit 2 stitches, yo?, knit 2 stitches together

what is yo?

yep I am a NOOB!
Trish :Knitting: :sew:
Mum to Bailey - 7 :king:, our NICU Miracle Aidan (born at 26 weeks) - 6 :king: and Adele - 2 :queen:
Image Image Image

my goal this year: beat last years total!
ImageImage

SHESHE
TNN nerd

Post by SHESHE » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:10 pm

yarn over..bring your yarn to the front of the needle?? double check......LOL Best thing is too find a tutorial if you can see it its easy to understand I reckon. :twitch:
Mum of 2 - NO MORE NAPPIES - Nearly ready for our new adventure!!

Return to “Yarns Crafts (knitting, crochet etc)”