knitting a hat step by step instructions

Callum's godmother
TNN guru

Post by Callum's godmother » Mon May 07, 2007 9:51 pm

great, that will be the next hat we knit!!

MrsB
TNN nerd

Post by MrsB » Tue May 08, 2007 3:38 pm

Oooh how exciting :D I haven't been able to pop in for a couple of days, but started thinking about new projects today and remembered about the hat... will be a good one for when my MIL is here, and I have some lovely dark blue variegated wool coming, as well as some tekapo sunset... yum !! And if I can learn to knit with dpns this should be easy as pie. Might try a little hat to start and then give it away, then work out one for Erin :D Or maybe she'd fit the same as the one for Leanne's James... ?
Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being. ~ Kittie Franz ~

** The Bird's Nest is now up & running - contact me for a list of licensed knits :D **

Mama to two little women - July 06 & 09
& two angels 07 & 08
:storkboy: June 2012

JJJ
TNN nerd

Post by JJJ » Tue May 08, 2007 4:43 pm

MrsBird wrote:Oooh how exciting :D I haven't been able to pop in for a couple of days, but started thinking about new projects today and remembered about the hat... will be a good one for when my MIL is here, and I have some lovely dark blue variegated wool coming, as well as some tekapo sunset... yum !! And if I can learn to knit with dpns this should be easy as pie. Might try a little hat to start and then give it away, then work out one for Erin :D Or maybe she'd fit the same as the one for Leanne's James... ?

Jacqui, if you want to do one in the round then you can use a 40cm circular and then go down to DPNs at the end (easier than doing the whole thing on DPNs imo). I can post the pattern for this one if you like, its really easy:

Here it is:
Beanie – 1 year old size
On 4mm 40cm circulars and 4mm DPNS

Cast on 88 stitches, place marker at start of round and join to work in the round (if you adjust the number of stitches it needs to be a multiple of 4)

K2 P2 rib for 8 rounds

Stocking stitch until meaurement from brim to crown is 10-12cm

Then:
Decrease round 1: *K10 K2tog*
Next round K all sts
Decrease round 2: *K 9, K2tog*
Next round K all sts
Decrease round 3: *K8, K2tog*
Next round K all sts
Decrease in this manner until there are 35 sts on the needles. You will need to switch to DPNs probably at this point

Then decrease in the same manner, omitting the “k all sts” rounds, until there are approx 7 sts remaining.
Pull yarn through the last 7 sts with a tapestry needle, pull through to inside and weave in end.
Last edited by JJJ on Sun May 20, 2007 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mama to Elliott and Connor

MrsB
TNN nerd

Post by MrsB » Tue May 08, 2007 9:55 pm

I would love to be able to but I don't have any circs yet, just one set of 3.25mm bamboo dpns... and I've spent part of my craft budget this fortnight on some tekapo sunset already :oops:
Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being. ~ Kittie Franz ~

** The Bird's Nest is now up & running - contact me for a list of licensed knits :D **

Mama to two little women - July 06 & 09
& two angels 07 & 08
:storkboy: June 2012

caturn
TNN guru

Post by caturn » Tue May 08, 2007 10:39 pm

Yay Helen Thank you.
Just today I bought a ball of wool to try a hat out. I was going to look online for instructions. Now I don't need to yay.

Just one question. Where do you measure to (on the wearers head) before you begin to decrease. Is it at the top or before that?

Cath

mama anne
TNN nerd

Post by mama anne » Tue May 08, 2007 11:08 pm

helen - you are a STAR for doing this for everyone :alright: :knit: :smt023 :smt041
Working Mama of miss7yo and mr5yo.

Amio
TNN addict

Post by Amio » Wed May 09, 2007 10:03 am

JJJ! Your suggestion to check my tension then measure my son's head seems so obvious - but I would never have thought of it! Thanks for that

tkp02
TNN newbie

Post by tkp02 » Thu May 10, 2007 5:01 pm

Helen - Thanks for this - I have the perfect wool to give it a go on in my stash - will post a picture when I am done! Might have to do one for my new nephew as well - not that he is here yet!
http://craftedbykylie.blogspot.com

Amio
TNN addict

Post by Amio » Sat May 19, 2007 10:12 pm

Stitch the top knot cord down the side (this is a cheats icord!!)

helen! I am almost finished (so excited, :D first time i have done anything with shaping in it) but got a bit confused where you said to stitch the top knot cord down the side - do you mean stitch down the side of the top knot cord itself, or do you mean stitch the top knot cord down the side of the hat? I'm lookin' at the pictures but i just don't quite get it! :-k

JJJ
TNN nerd

Post by JJJ » Sun May 20, 2007 8:38 am

Amio - stitch down the side of the cord to make it a rounded cord rather than flat
Mama to Elliott and Connor

Callum's godmother
TNN guru

Post by Callum's godmother » Sun May 20, 2007 11:51 am

Yeah, what JJJ said - you'll have your tail of wool when you have cast off and I just stitch down the top knot with right sides facing out, then turn the hat with right sides facing together to stitch up the actual hat. Then take photos for us all to see :lol:

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Sun May 20, 2007 4:43 pm

I've just knitted a hat in Utiku Seaweed (to match his jersey) and using the 88 stitches it fits James, yay!

Thanks Helen!
Leanne
Mum to 3 beautiful children
Image Small and Large pocket patterns available, for a small donation to Unicef. DIY kits also available for $5 each with free pattern. PM or email me for more info...

nova
TNN oracle

Post by nova » Sun May 20, 2007 4:54 pm

anyone feel like sharing a super-easy ear flaps type hat (if you have any idea what i mean! lol) pattern?

(justene & gabes, i'm looking at you :wink: )

thanks for that helen, i've been too scared thus far to try a hat :oops: (but i'm doing magic loop toe-up socks...) :lol:
:star:

Callum's godmother
TNN guru

Post by Callum's godmother » Sun May 20, 2007 6:55 pm

I've just finished a hat with flaps!! :D I'll post a photo once a have a chance and can give you a pattern once it has been tested on a wee head!

Callum's godmother
TNN guru

Post by Callum's godmother » Tue May 22, 2007 10:53 am

Return to “Yarns Crafts (knitting, crochet etc)”