knitting a hat step by step instructions

Callum's godmother
TNN guru

Post by Callum's godmother » Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:34 pm

good for you Carla, and there are no hard and fast rules around hats so whatever you have done is fine, other patterns I have done have gone right down to one stitch and yes, you are wise to leave some thread to stitch it up! We look forward to seeing photos :lol:

Chooky
TNN guru

Post by Chooky » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:19 pm

I just finished knitting up this hat (now that i've learnt how to purl), it looks really good, thanks for the instructions Callum's Godmother, :D I would post a pic except we don't have a digital camera. Also on dial up so when I tried loading pics onto photobucket it took forever. :(

Callum's godmother
TNN guru

Post by Callum's godmother » Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:02 pm

I'm sure it looks just great, and will be a necessary on these cold days!! What's your next project? :lol:

Chooky
TNN guru

Post by Chooky » Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:22 pm

My next project is some wee longies, I've got a really good knitting book with basic patterns in it so i'll give them another shot (different pattern from the last pair I made. They turned out ok but look a bit like clown pants :lol: ). I bought some really cute wool yesterday - well actually it's acrilic :oops: - so they should look nice. :D

ang2821
TNN nerd

Post by ang2821 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:16 pm

It may have taken me three days but here's the results of my first ever knitting project:

Image Image

The video's on knittinghelp.com were excellent :D :D I'm quite proud of it, no stuff up's really just one small hole that I was able to fix up.
Angie - mum to:
:princess: Sophie (Jan 03) & :princess: Grace (June 06) :princess: Chloe (Dec 08)

Callum's godmother
TNN guru

Post by Callum's godmother » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:57 pm

good for you Angie!! That looks fantastic and your first project (are you sure??) What's next on your needles? Did you know Knitworld sale started today?

ang2821
TNN nerd

Post by ang2821 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:02 pm

Thanks - yep, it was my first (apart from some knitting in primary school)

I want to do some booties next.

I'm up to row 11 of this pattern
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Ranc ... ooties.htm

Don't know how I'll go though, so far so good
Angie - mum to:
:princess: Sophie (Jan 03) & :princess: Grace (June 06) :princess: Chloe (Dec 08)

OlliesMummie
TNN nerd

Post by OlliesMummie » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:00 pm

i learn from pictures or hand on so thank you so much i might just try this been a non knitter im excited!!
Image Image
ImageImage

Megan
TNN guru

Post by Megan » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:11 am

Oooo, Leisa, TNN is getting you! :wink:

OlliesMummie
TNN nerd

Post by OlliesMummie » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:07 am

it sure is :oops:
Image Image
ImageImage

Callum's godmother
TNN guru

Post by Callum's godmother » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:29 pm

ohhh, another knitter in the making!!

Wicked Knits
Yarn Pirate

Post by Wicked Knits » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:35 am

I'm trying this, did the first row and my hand hurts :lol: so figured I'd ask "how do I purl???" and leave it till tomorrow. I looked up that video on one of the links from the beginners guide, but I think the pictures are easier to follow.
Alia
Alexander - 3, and Sebastian - 6.
My Ravelry Account :Knitting:

rebeccal
TNN nerd

Post by rebeccal » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:26 pm

I've just completed this hat as a reintroduction to knitting (last knitted at intermediate and I think it was only scarves!) so I'm hardly an expert, but hopefully this helps you.

With the yarn to the front of the work, insert the RH needle from the right to the left into the front of the first stitch on the LH needle. Then take the wool around the point of the RH needle and draw the RH needle and yarn through the stitch, which will form a new stitch on the RH needle. The slip the original stitch off the LH needle and repeat with the next stitch.

My hand was hurting too - I think I need to hold the wool differently so I don't get cramp!

Wicked Knits
Yarn Pirate

Post by Wicked Knits » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:14 am

rebeccal wrote:I've just completed this hat as a reintroduction to knitting (last knitted at intermediate and I think it was only scarves!) so I'm hardly an expert, but hopefully this helps you.

With the yarn to the front of the work, insert the RH needle from the right to the left into the front of the first stitch on the LH needle. Then take the wool around the point of the RH needle and draw the RH needle and yarn through the stitch, which will form a new stitch on the RH needle. The slip the original stitch off the LH needle and repeat with the next stitch.

My hand was hurting too - I think I need to hold the wool differently so I don't get cramp!

Oooh thanks, I'll give that a go.

I think the hand hurting will go away when I get used to it :D
Alia
Alexander - 3, and Sebastian - 6.
My Ravelry Account :Knitting:

j-j
TNN guru

Re: knitting a hat step by step instructions

Post by j-j » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:58 pm

Callum's godmother wrote:Following on from some posts about an easy first project I thought I'd knit a hat with photos and hopefully instructions that people can follow. I am aiming to have a finished hat that would fit an 3 - 9 month old.

So lets start!!

Love this hat - i've looked through the thread but can't seem to find, anyone know how you'd alter this for a 1 + year old?
Julia - Knitting nut and mum to 3 delicious children: DD - 9, DS#1 - 7 and DS#3 - 5

Knitting Pattern Designer of The Little Rascals, Poplar, Katniss, Primrose, Greyson patterns - available HERE

Return to “Yarns Crafts (knitting, crochet etc)”