Knitting for charity

Alana
TNN convert

Knitting for charity

Post by Alana » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:40 pm

I hope this is an appropriate place to post this request - please let me know if it isn't.

I am on the Auckland Central committee of Sands, which is a charity that supports bereaved parents whose babies are stillborn or die shortly after birth. We are looking for experienced knitters who are willing to knit tiny booties and hats for babies sized from about 20weeks onwards. We supply the hospitals with these little items (as well as little gowns) etc so that bereaved parents, most of whom do not come to hospital prepared with the right-sized clothes, have something beautiful to dress their little angels in.

I was immensely grateful to have clothing supplied to me in hospital when my little Maria was stillborn at 24 weeks. There's nothing that can prepare a parent for going through that sort of experience, and little things like tiny clothes made lovingly by volunteers speaks volumes in the midst of grief.

Feel free to ask any questions.

Thanks!
Mummy to 3 precious kids:
Joel - 02/03
Maria - born silent 06/05
Julia - 06/06

Erin.T
TNN nerd

Post by Erin.T » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:43 pm

can you please PM me details - I have a very bored MIL who knits beautifully and was just talking about wanting to do something like knitting for preemies etc.
"Be the change you want to see in the World" - Mahatma Gandhi
"The climate is like a wild beast, and we're poking it with sticks." - Wally Broecker

Flower
TNN nerd

Post by Flower » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:27 pm

Please PM me with more details.

My mother made some beautiful clothes for my baby when we were expecting a stillbirth, but my baby lived and she always intended to give the clothes to this charity, but strangely, they disappeared and she has never found them. However I'm sure she would like to make some more and I would too, if my knitting is good enough.

Manda
TNN nerd

Post by Manda » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:37 pm

Hi Alana,
I've been meaning to ask you about this. I'm flat out knitting for a little girl who we both know :wink:, little Z, then I'll be on a mission for our little boy, but, I'd like to try and squeeze in some knitting for SANDS. Pm me some details too please :D
[img]http://tac.families.com/cb/226258.png[/img] www.thelostones.co.nz

[img]http://tac.families.com/ezb/1073373.png[/img]

[img]http://tac.families.com/ezb/1002660.png[/img]
www.mandascakes.co.nz

legz
TNN guru

Post by legz » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:42 pm

I'd be interested too.
Lesley

sphanges
TNN nerd

Post by sphanges » Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:25 pm

I would be keen to be involved in this. Do you have any patterns for the teeny stuff?

Cheers
B
Ben 11/11/03
Rose 20/10/06
:star: "Sparky" :star:

karmiec
TNN oracle

Post by karmiec » Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:58 pm

The knit world catelouge for winter has a prem patern in it for a Ronald McDonald house charity drive that has finished...

I have a super easy hat pattern, but could do with a bootie patern if anyone has any sites or info they could share.

Do you just need hats and booties or are there other items that can be donated?

Also I'm assuming that it would be ok to knit in acrylic as (being horribly blunt) the babies don't need to be kept warm? Just thinking that its cheaper and easier to find.

Which hospitals are these donated to? Doesn't actually worry me, just nosey!!

BTW... I don't know why but I always like to see the website or some details of the charity that I would be donating too, so I looked Sands up...
SANDS

Paws
TNN guru

Post by Paws » Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:07 pm

Feel free to PM me the details too, hats I can do!!! :D

kiwichickknits
TNN convert

Post by kiwichickknits » Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:51 pm

yes please PM me some details too, my sister was stillborn & I'm sure my Mum would love to do something like this, she regularly gives to the local SANDS group in Blenheim cause there was nothing like that for her so many years ago - she didn't even get to bury my little sister or have a funeral - the hospital just took her away before my grandparents could even get there..........
LIBBY
A 'mum who works' but would rather be a 'mum who knits' more of the time!
I knit whenever & whereever I can.............

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:22 pm

I would be interested in finding out more. I need patterns though - not sure where to start.
Leanne
Mum to 3 beautiful children
Image Small and Large pocket patterns available, for a small donation to Unicef. DIY kits also available for $5 each with free pattern. PM or email me for more info...

Sharonnz
TNN guru

Post by Sharonnz » Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:06 pm

Hi Alana!!

I'd love to help out. I bought wool especially to do some premmie knitting and am part way through a teeny cardigan using the Knitworld pattern. PM me some more details please.

Sharon

Alana
TNN convert

Post by Alana » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:54 pm

WOW everyone, I am blown away by your responses! :o Thank you so much.

I have PM'd everyone with some details. Yes it's ok to knit in acrylic - the main thing is that clothing is nice and soft as babies who have died in utero tend to have very fragile skin.

The preemie knitting pattern link that I found is: http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/preemies.html
I'd love your feedback on what you think of the patterns, as I am not a knitter so have no idea really :oops: .

Sands Auckland Central Inc. supports all the public hospitals in Auckland so we donate clothing, Moses baskets, memory books, blankets and other items to all 4 of the main hospitals. The website can be found at: www.sands.org.nz
Mummy to 3 precious kids:
Joel - 02/03
Maria - born silent 06/05
Julia - 06/06

Flower
TNN nerd

Post by Flower » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:39 pm

Can I give you guys a few hints on what to knit?

Prem babies who live are normally not dressed in clothes until they are around 4 pounds (because the medical staff like to be able to see their skin tone inside the incubator). I remember when I was looking for burial clothing I realised most of the premmie clothing for living babies was way too big.

A lot of stillborn babies are only 1 or 2 pounds. Alana, you will probably know a bit more about this than I do. I know that bigger babies of course can die too, right up to regular newborn size. The babies who died in nicu when we were there were all bigger than dd, and one of them was about 8 pounds.

I remember what was important to me was finding something really pretty and special. I was kind of worried that all that would be available was white stuff made in a really old fashioned way, which wasn't what I wanted. (This was before my mum told me she was actually making me something for my baby.) I wanted the clothes to be special but not look like a christening gown from 200 years ago.

I think the burial gowns on that link Alana gave look the best. I wouldn't just do a hat or booties myself as I think most people would like a matching outfit. These things are really quick to knit because they are so small. [ETA I just noticed Alana said they supply gowns, so maybe just a wee cardigan, hat and booties would be the thing?]

I'm even thinking I would have liked a wee fitted nappy. I wonder if that's just too weird of me. It would have to be so tiny.

Obviously, this is just what I wanted and others might want something completely different.

nova
TNN oracle

Post by nova » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:05 am

ok is anyone else crying now? or is it just too late at night...

i'll have a rummage in my wool stash.. :cry:
:star:

karmiec
TNN oracle

Post by karmiec » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:04 am

Yep, got me going too.

I'm going to pick up a ball of wool next time I'm out.. the 4 ply I have is already earmarked...

Its funny because I was thinking about the nappy thing too... I've always had a bit of a thing about stillborn/cot death babies... so it hits me everytime.

Just a quickie, what about plain sherpa or microfleece fitted nappies? nice and soft without being too bulky? Maybe with a plain or slightly printed cotton outter...

Anyway my knitting is a bit slow so when I get through some wool then I'll start thinking more seriously about that.

Return to “Yarns Crafts (knitting, crochet etc)”