Knitting for charity

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:40 am

I love the little booties & hat down this page http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/michelle-booties.html

So, can someone please give me a place to start. 4 ply yarn? (if anyone hears of any excess needing a home LMK as I don't have any 4 ply in my stash).

Thinking about the nappies side of things, would snaps/velcro be too bulky? Would a ribbon be better? Or a single button? Does anyone have any ideas about approx dimensions?

It's very difficult to think that small.
Leanne
Mum to 3 beautiful children
Image Small and Large pocket patterns available, for a small donation to Unicef. DIY kits also available for $5 each with free pattern. PM or email me for more info...

Sharonnz
TNN guru

Post by Sharonnz » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:49 am

nova wrote:ok is anyone else crying now? or is it just too late at night...

:cry:

I also liked the patterns on the Ray of Hope UK site.

I wondered about nappies too, Leanne...maybe with just a couple of size 14 snaps?

Sharon

sharry
TNN nerd

Post by sharry » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:12 am

I'd like to be involved please. When I was in hospital I'd see these little knitted things in baskets they were so tiny. But I've thought about doing this ever since just wasn't sure if where to donate.
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Sharryknits

legz
TNN guru

Post by legz » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:06 pm

One of the fitted nappies I made was put on a still born child for his burial. It was a very soft baby blue velour. You could just make a fitted without all the padding inside it, it would probably look nicer around the legs then.
Lesley

Tentacles
TNN guru

Post by Tentacles » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:15 pm

Dunners wrote:I love the little booties & hat down this page http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/michelle-booties.html

So, can someone please give me a place to start. 4 ply yarn? (if anyone hears of any excess needing a home LMK as I don't have any 4 ply in my stash).

Thinking about the nappies side of things, would snaps/velcro be too bulky? Would a ribbon be better? Or a single button? Does anyone have any ideas about approx dimensions?

It's very difficult to think that small.

Presuming odd 25g balls of 4 ply would be okay???? I've got quite a few odd balls I can go through them if you like. I'd love to knit them u jp myself but realistically just wont get the time with my wee one to care for and a million other projects to get through. :roll:
Alison - Currently SAHM to DS (04/07) and DD (09/10).

http://kiwicraftychemist.blogspot.com

legz
TNN guru

Post by legz » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:42 pm

I just thought too, is stuff that we can sew needed too??
Lesley

Flower
TNN nerd

Post by Flower » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:48 pm

Sorry I made you guys cry. I just wanted to explain some stuff that you wouldn't know if you hadn't been in the situation.

I'm still a bit confused about the nappy thing, because I think I might feel weird about my baby not wearing a nappy, whereas some other people might feel weird about their baby wearing a nappy. So Alana if you can guide us on that one please that would be good. Of course I can't sew so I can't really do anything about it anyway.

Ruth (mumto3) makes doll nappies which would be perfect (about size 3 to 6 pounds) but you would want the right choice of fabric, maybe just plain rather than the bright patterns she does for dolls.

It is really hard to get your head around the sizes. I have had a baby that size and I still find it hard to get my head around. Here are some dimensions for my baby so that you get a sense of head size etc.

Her head diameter was 24cm (average newborn is around 33)
Her length was 32cm (average newborn is 50cm)
Her weight was 900g (average newborn is 3.5 I think)
She was 27 weeks, but more the size of an average 26-weeker.

So she was quite skinny compared with a term baby, with a larger head and longer body than you might expect from her overall body weight. Her head was maybe the size of a large orange. Unbelievable really isn't it.

MamaLoops
TNN nerd

Post by MamaLoops » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:12 pm

:cry: :cry: yes me too (thank you Flower for sharing your experiences with us though- the knowledge means we can help in a more practical way as you say.)

I'm only starting to teach myself to knit so it would be simple things- blankets possibly and some wee pod hats might be suitable? I'm slow and inexperienced but so far seem to be fairly neat with tension etc.

Alana does this incorporate eg the Wellington branches etc as well? (although I expect there are a large number of parents and babies transferred from various other units around the country they would be supported by their nearest home SANDS, yes?)

Thank you for posting Alana- its a lovely, lovely idea and one that I;m sure most of us wouldn't have learned about otherwise (myself included.)

:rose:

Falcon Stirling, Master of the Universe, smiles whilst napping. He is THAT amazing------------------------->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Alana
TNN convert

Post by Alana » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:59 am

Alana does this incorporate eg the Wellington branches etc as well? (although I expect there are a large number of parents and babies transferred from various other units around the country they would be supported by their nearest home SANDS, yes?)

Thanks for asking - my request is particularly for the Auckland branch of Sands, but you got me thinking that I could ask the other Sands branches if they are needing things, it would make more sense for you to donate to your local branch wouldn't it. I will find out and let you know.

I think nappies are a lovely idea. Not all parents want to put nappies on their babies (and in my case, Maria was just too teeny) but as I said previously, it is important for parents to have a choice. I have seen a teeny disposable nappy made for preemie babies, and TBH it was quite plasticy looking - I would have preferred a nice soft cloth one I think.

Blankets would be lovely and much appreciated too. We never got the chance to shop for a blanket for Maria, she was just wrapped in a cloth nappy. Some bereaved parents have the chance to prepare things, and some don't.

To give you an idea of smallest sizes:
My Maria was born at 24 weeks but died at about 22.5 weeks. She was about half the weight she should have been for her gest. age because there was something wrong with my placenta. Her dimensions were:
weight: 205g
head circ: 15cm
length: 24cm

So we are looking for items from this size, right up to newborn size. Babies can be stillborn or die shortly after birth right up to 42 weeks.

I will check whether there are sewed items that we might need too.

I realise that this is a very sad and difficult subject for a lot of people to think about, I hope I am not upsetting anyone unduly in this post. I really appreciate everyone's empathy and willingness to help. You are a wonderful group of ladies!
Mummy to 3 precious kids:
Joel - 02/03
Maria - born silent 06/05
Julia - 06/06

Alana
TNN convert

Post by Alana » Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:49 pm

Ruth (mumto3) makes doll nappies which would be perfect (about size 3 to 6 pounds) but you would want the right choice of fabric, maybe just plain rather than the bright patterns she does for dolls.

I spoke to our coordinator, and she suggested that if someone was keen to make a couple of these little nappies and send them to us, we can take them to the hospitals and get some feedback on whether they would work well.
Joel - 02/03
Julia - 06/06

Makana
TNN guru

Post by Makana » Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:54 pm

Could you PM me some details so I can pass it on to my Mum. She is a great knitter and I am sure she would love to knit for these babies.

:( So sad but so special that we can help.
Kate
SAHM to Ariana 8yrs, Makayla 5 years & Holly 2
and three angels
Please check out: Hats for Ethan
My blog HERE

Bex
TNN nutter

Post by Bex » Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:09 pm

I'd love some info too, especially if there was anything for the Wellington branch... I have also been thinking along these lines recently.
Hope (2007), Jonas (2009) and Lewis (2013) :vibes:

Shae
TNN nerd

Post by Shae » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:40 pm

I'm not a knitter, but would be keen to sew some wraps/blankets or dolls nappies. Do you have a waikato branch?
Mama to A, J, & A
www.farmfamily.blogspot.com

Alana
TNN convert

Post by Alana » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:00 pm

I've contacted the other Sands branches and have only heard back from Wellington so far. They don't need anything at the moment as they have a large knitting group down there producing a lot of stuff. I am waiting to hear back from the other branches.

We've just had a request from the NICU at Middlemore for knitted baby singlets for babies who have died - sized from about 26 weeks upwards. So if anyone would like to knit singlets that would be great!

Our Auckland branch would also love knitted blankets for wrapping babies in - once again the softer the better. I think no bigger than a flat white nappy (must go and actually measure it :oops: ) - maybe even about half the size for smaller babies.

My mum has just knitted a couple of pairs of booties and hats from an old dolls pattern that she had, and these look a good size for the teeny babies. If anyone is struggling to find a good pattern, let me know and I can copy this one for you.

Thanks everyone.
Joel - 02/03
Julia - 06/06

Shae
TNN nerd

Post by Shae » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:23 pm

Alana, ignore my PM - should have read the thread first :oops:
Mama to A, J, & A
www.farmfamily.blogspot.com

Return to “Yarns Crafts (knitting, crochet etc)”