Knitting for charity

beccahv
TNN guru

Post by beccahv » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:51 pm

I've got a ball of 3 ply organic treliske that anyone is welcome to if they want to knit something for this project. Just pm me:)!
Bec - Lucky Mama to Luca (July 2005) & Alexander (May 2008) :-)

Flower
TNN nerd

Post by Flower » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:08 am

Does anyone have a pattern for knitted singlets? Perhaps I'll ask that as a separate thread.

Alana
TNN convert

Post by Alana » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:19 am

Here is a lovely looking pattern for preemie sized knitted blankets: http://www.nancyhearne.com/drawingboard ... ankets.htm

And a preemie waffle blanket: http://pacificcay.tripod.com/FP/FPPreem ... lanket.htm

Am not having much luck so far in finding a preemie size pattern for singlets. Will keep looking.
Mummy to 3 precious kids:
Joel - 02/03
Maria - born silent 06/05
Julia - 06/06

framptons
TNN nutter

Post by framptons » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:34 am

Man this thread is close to my heart.

When we lost our little boy, Waikato Hospital gave us:

Gown
Booties
Polar fleece blanket - I have kept this and is in his memory box
Hat
Patchwork quilt - I have kept this too and it is framed with photos on our wall.
Memory box

Once he was at the funeral home, he was re dressed in his gown and hat/booties and then they wrapped him in a shawl.

He had a disposable nappy on and I would of preferred a cloth, but at the time you dont think about that and arent in the right frame of mind to think about that.

I would love to do some, but I think I would like it to go to Waikato, so Alana if you hear back from them can you let me know.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/2i06umu.png[/img]

Flower
TNN nerd

Post by Flower » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:54 pm

Thank you for that Kim.

I guess that confirms that cloth nappies would be wanted, by some parents at least.

Alana - Happi has given me a premmie knitted singlet pattern. It is not quite right because it is designed for babies with lines in their arms, which obviously is not needed, but I can just change the buttons and buttonholes to something that is sewn up.

I'll do that next, but I'm finishing off the first thing I've started; I want it to be a whole matching outfit with hat and booties and all.

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:50 pm

Kim, so sorry about your loss. If you're up to sharing, I'd be interested to hear more about Thomas (gestation, weight, length) as I'd like to have a wee play with making some cloth nappies, but I'm not sure where to start with sizing. Would snaps be ok or would velcro be better? I'm assuming a yummy soft velour/sherpa fitted would be nice? And how did you feel about colours - did you want everything plain white/cream, or would a trim of colour (e.g. baby blue or yellow) have been nice? Thinking of you xxxx
Leanne
Mum to 3 beautiful children
Image Small and Large pocket patterns available, for a small donation to Unicef. DIY kits also available for $5 each with free pattern. PM or email me for more info...

framptons
TNN nutter

Post by framptons » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:50 am

Dunners wrote:Kim, so sorry about your loss. If you're up to sharing, I'd be interested to hear more about Thomas (gestation, weight, length) as I'd like to have a wee play with making some cloth nappies, but I'm not sure where to start with sizing. Would snaps be ok or would velcro be better? I'm assuming a yummy soft velour/sherpa fitted would be nice? And how did you feel about colours - did you want everything plain white/cream, or would a trim of colour (e.g. baby blue or yellow) have been nice? Thinking of you xxxx

Thanks

Thomas was 34 weeks gestation, he was 5lbs 4ozs ( I cant remember his length I will have to find it).

I think snaps would be ok and I would of liked something with colour I think, so with a trim would of been nice. Yes something nice and soft would of be nice.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/2i06umu.png[/img]

Tentacles
TNN guru

Post by Tentacles » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:03 am

I'd love to knit for this and have done for prems in the past but don't have the time at the moment. I do however have a rather large stash of odd bits of baby wool in 25g balls that I'd be happy for people to use. Just PM me :)
Alison - Currently SAHM to DS (04/07) and DD (09/10).

http://kiwicraftychemist.blogspot.com

Manda
TNN nerd

Post by Manda » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:31 am

Dunners wrote: Would snaps be ok or would velcro be better? I'm assuming a yummy soft velour/sherpa fitted would be nice? And how did you feel about colours - did you want everything plain white/cream, or would a trim of colour (e.g. baby blue or yellow) have been nice?

I just wanna add that I agree, a nice cloth nappy would have been so much better than the horrible sposie that was put on my girl. It wasn't really something that I though of at the time, but in hindsight, the sposie just seemd wrong under the lovely dress Trinity was given. A soft velour/sherpa fitted would have been so much nicer. For me I think I would have liked something reasonably plain with maybe super soft pink trim. Personally I don't think it would have mattered if it was snaps or vlecro.

As for size. Trinity was full term so was a regular newborn size, 7lb 13oz, 55cm long. I'm at work so don't have her head measurement.
[img]http://tac.families.com/cb/226258.png[/img] www.thelostones.co.nz

[img]http://tac.families.com/ezb/1073373.png[/img]

[img]http://tac.families.com/ezb/1002660.png[/img]
www.mandascakes.co.nz

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:47 am

Thanks Kim & Manda.

I've just made this thread a sticky.
Leanne
Mum to 3 beautiful children
Image Small and Large pocket patterns available, for a small donation to Unicef. DIY kits also available for $5 each with free pattern. PM or email me for more info...

LemonNZ
TNN guru

Post by LemonNZ » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:28 am

Back in the 90s I was given a blue smocked gown, booties and a little muslin wrap to dress Jamie in. Because back then a baby had to be 28 weeks to be considered a baby that was all I got. He was not eligable for a death/birth certificate so to this day I will remember the pattern of white smocking on powder blue lawn with white rose buds embroidered around the yoke.

I have since done knitting for CHCH Womens to provide their stillborns and I have always knitted in white Golden Fleece (it's a wool acrylic blend but has the most pure white soft feel). I honestly think 4ply+ is too thick for such delicate little angels.

Jamie's booties were white and had little blue roses embroidered on the tops. This is a simple but delicate way to make them either boys or girls without going overboard with colour.

I have a photo here of another family members angel who is dressed in a more modern tee shirt knit gown, bonnet and booties and the most pretty little pink and white lattice shawl that I have seen done in 8ply before but this is most probably 2 or 3ply.

Flower
TNN nerd

Post by Flower » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:59 pm

Because back then a baby had to be 28 weeks to be considered a baby

That makes me feel sick and angry. I guess my daughter wasn't a baby then, but some sort of living foetus.

I'm so sorry for your loss, all of you. I am knitting two things because I made a top and wee trousers which didn't match each other for size so I'm making now making a top to match the trousers and trousers to match the top. So far I didn't really feel much sorrow while knitting them but reading this thread makes it feel so real. I only hope my knitting is good enough.

LemonNZ
TNN guru

Post by LemonNZ » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:01 am

OMG! It wasn't until I was talking to our babysitter tonight and she commented at my high school year book and said she wasn't even born then that I realised that Jamie was due around about the same time as her so it is hard to imagine that he would be a 15 year old now :shock: Now I really do feel old!

Alana
TNN convert

Post by Alana » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:46 pm

I spoke to the Sands people in Waikato last week and they would also love some knitted items, so if any Waikato people are keen to make stuff, PM me and I can let you know what address to send them to.
Mummy to 3 precious kids:
Joel - 02/03
Maria - born silent 06/05
Julia - 06/06

Flower
TNN nerd

Post by Flower » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:22 pm

I knitted my stuff AGES ago and I still haven't got round to sending it. Lucky I saw this thread, maybe I'll get to the post office tomorrow.

Return to “Yarns Crafts (knitting, crochet etc)”