Knitting for charity

Alana
TNN convert

Post by Alana » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:53 pm

Hi all - thanks for the beautiful little clothes that people have knitted and sent to Sands. We've distributed them among the 4 hospitals in Auckland, and all the items were much appreciated.

Several of the hospitals are now asking for knitted items (particularly singlets and sets) in around newborn size, for those babies who are stillborn at term or who die shortly after birth.

We've also had a request from PICU (Paediatric Intensive Care Unit) at Starship as follows:

"… perhaps could knit up little teddy bears (a small one velcroed to a bigger one) and if they leave they get to take their teddies home. But if they die, baby could have his/her little teddy and mum can take home the other. Something that you know your child had cuddled and maybe even his/her smell is still on it."
This request was based on feedback from a couple whose baby died while in the PICU unit.

I know everyone is very busy with Christmas round the corner, so please don't feel pressured to reply to this. Perhaps if you are planning some knitting projects for next year, something like this might interest you?

Unfortunately there is more demand than supply in the Auckland region at the moment :cry:
Mummy to 3 precious kids:
Joel - 02/03
Maria - born silent 06/05
Julia - 06/06

Razz
TNN guru

Post by Razz » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:56 pm

oh, reading that made me cry :cry:
Rachel, Mama to Nate, Zach and Kaiabean

check out my patterns http://www.ravelry.com/designers/rachel-evans

Alana
TNN convert

Post by Alana » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:56 pm

Oh I forgot to add that Shae made some little nappies (doll size?) which were enthusiastically received by North Shore and Auckland hospitals - they had been looking for something like this. So they would like some more, possibly in a smaller size, to fit babies around the 20-30 week age bracket.
Joel - 02/03
Julia - 06/06

growingclothie
TNN oracle

Post by growingclothie » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:37 pm

Only just saw this thread after a link someone else posted... would love to add my experiences...

My daughter was teeny when born. She had died in utero between 22.5wk & 25wk scans, based on her growth it was estimated to be 23wks. Though she was aproximately 400grams when she died (hadn't grown much since 20wks), she held on for her twin brothers sake, and wasn't delivered till I went into labour at 36wks 3days. During the 13wks I carried her after she had died she lost a lot of fluid weight and was born a very fragile 90grams. She was too small for the clothing that we were presented with and really too fragile to dress properly. We actually ended up buring her in the memory box that we were given as she would have looked so lost and lonely in the baby caskets. My midwife draped the gown we were given by SANDS over her and I still have the tiny (but not teeny enough) bootties, hat, & sposie nappy that we were given to us in with all of her keepsakes. To give you an idea of size, her head was about the size of an average newborns clenched fist. It would have been lovely to have been able to put a pretty pink hat on her head... :cry:
Last edited by growingclothie on Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bec

Home educating mum to precious blessings:
*MissW (stillborn Jan'04)
*MasterZ (11yrs old, born Jan'04)
*MasterH (7yrs old, born Sept'07)
*MissK (4yrs old, born Nov'10)
*MissF (2yrs old, born July'13)

Visit me on Ravelry http://www.ravelry.com/projects/SteppingInWater

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:19 pm

Aw Bec :cry: :cry:

:rose:

That is just so tiny I can't even begin to imagine. Thank you for sharing such a personal part of your life.

As for this project - I've not forgotten, I hope to get onto it soon (I need to refresh my memory with the links & ideas posted earlier).
Leanne
Mum to 3 beautiful children
Image Small and Large pocket patterns available, for a small donation to Unicef. DIY kits also available for $5 each with free pattern. PM or email me for more info...

Fi
TNN nerd

Post by Fi » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:48 pm

I am so sorry for your loss. I am crying for you.

I have some very dear family members and friends who have had similar losses, and I have seen all the memories from 20-28w angel babies (4 of them now).
It was very sad to hear about the fluid loss - how heartbreaking that must have been for you and yours. But how wonderful to have a surviving twin, and too to be able to have all the memories from your little girl.

What an important job that knitting mums can do for those that suffer a loss.

On a really positive note, Hamish was born really, really little!!!!! Full term and about 5lb, and he was given a little hat from the hospital as he couldn't hold his temp, and we werent expecting a small baby, so didn't have anything that would fit.
I am sure the hat was from the premmie stash, and its now in his memory box. It was so tiny!!!
Fiona
SAHM to Miss J (6), Master H (4) and newby Master C
Partner to SAHD Shane
http://kiwifisworld.blogspot.com/

Flower
TNN nerd

Post by Flower » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:01 pm

Thank you for sharing that Bec. I've knitted a few things for this project but :oops: have yet to send them off. However your post has spurred me on to get on with it and finish off the matching set I had planned and get them out the door.

white-rose
TNN guru

Post by white-rose » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:22 pm

Oh wow, I have only just seen this thread.
We lost our baby girl 6 years ago at full term.
She was 9lb10oz and 57cm long. She was a big girl and the SANDS clothes only just fit her. Infact the wee hat was too small and had to kind of stretch to fit.

Alana do you know if Southland still do clothes and/or knitting. I havnt got much time right now but I would love to give something back when I do have some extra time.
I actually dont think the Southland branch is even active at the moment which is a real shame.

Thanks Louise
Louise - CBE and SAHM to 6 children; 14, 11, 9, 8, 6, and 4.
Angel mummy to MissK 12 and 2 little ^i^

*If ever there is tomorrow when we're not together. There is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is, even if we're apart... I'll always be with you. By Winnie the Pooh*

Owner and creator of Kanzu - Clothing with a difference https://www.facebook.com/kanzudesign

Alana
TNN convert

Post by Alana » Fri May 09, 2008 12:13 pm

Hi there
The new Sands website www.sands.org.nz is up and running now, and it has a national contacts list - it looks like there is a contact person in Southland so it might be an idea to give her a ring to enquire. I don't personally know whether other Sands groups round the country are looking for more knitters or not (as I am only working with Sands Auckland Central) so it's probably best to contact your local branch directly.

Thanks everyone for your keen interest. One of our aims at Sands is to raise awareness about pregnancy loss in the community so it's great to have people share their experiences on threads like this!
Joel - 02/03
Julia - 06/06

Sharonnz
TNN guru

Post by Sharonnz » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:11 pm

I felt this is an opportune time to bump this thread up to remind knitters with any spare project time that this is a worthwhile thing to click clack away for.

It's comforting to think these lost wee ones can wear something lovingly knitted, when you can feel so helpless otherwise.

Sharon

beccahv
TNN guru

Post by beccahv » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:51 am

beccahv wrote:I've got a ball of 3 ply organic treliske that anyone is welcome to if they want to knit something for this project. Just pm me:)!

Someone pm'd me about this and I never got back to them sorry :oops: ....I did find it the other day though and I'd be happy to send it to someone to knit up?? I've also got some little newborn nappies......OV swaddlebees, tiny heinys etc, do people think that these would be appropriate or is the knitting the way to go??
Bec - Lucky Mama to Luca (July 2005) & Alexander (May 2008) :-)

Shae
TNN nerd

Post by Shae » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:39 am

I've been making dolls naps for Sands for awhile now and Alana mentioned that they are often requested by hospitals, so perhaps dolls nappies could also be helpful.
I've had a miscarriage but not a loss late in pregnancy or still birth, but I still feel such an empathy toward those poor families suffering a loss that this is my little way of making that time a little more precious (if thats the right word - you know what I mean :oops: )
Mama to A, J, & A
www.farmfamily.blogspot.com

Manda
TNN nerd

Post by Manda » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:43 am

I thought I'd add this link, it's a uk site, but a similar concept and there's some nice patterns in case anyone was interested.

http://www.lucybug.org/patterns.html
[img]http://tac.families.com/cb/226258.png[/img] www.thelostones.co.nz

[img]http://tac.families.com/ezb/1073373.png[/img]

[img]http://tac.families.com/ezb/1002660.png[/img]
www.mandascakes.co.nz

legz
TNN guru

Post by legz » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:58 pm

What fabrics do you use Shae? Would flannelette outer/ polar fleece inners be ok?
Lesley

Shae
TNN nerd

Post by Shae » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:10 pm

I just make them like little non-absorbent stitch'n'turn fitteds - flannelette outer (or velour), microfleece inner. I was also making them with tiny snaps, but now use velcro because I think they would be more adjustable and they are quicker to make too.
Mama to A, J, & A
www.farmfamily.blogspot.com

Return to “Yarns Crafts (knitting, crochet etc)”