Stuck knitting the leg cuffs

Dunners
TNN oracle

Stuck knitting the leg cuffs

Post by Dunners » Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:55 pm

I finished the body of the soaker yesterday.

Now I'm stuck. I've previously made soakers knitting on straight needles - I rib the cuff, then stitch together at the seam.

So, how do I do leg cuffs when it's already joined? Should I be using a shorter circular needle? Or 3-4 double point needles? I'm not quite sure how to tackle this. How do you do them?

(and I can't crochet, so I would prefer not to have to learn it to finish this soaker)

TIA
Leanne
Mum to 3 beautiful children
Image Small and Large pocket patterns available, for a small donation to Unicef. DIY kits also available for $5 each with free pattern. PM or email me for more info...

Angel
TNN guru

Post by Angel » Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:01 pm

You want a set of double ended needles (4 needles) and pick up one stitch for each row all the way round. Use 3 needles for this job, and the 4th to knit.
Aimee http://www.ravelry.com/projects/angeldunedin
~ Ella - 11 years old ~ Toby - 8.5 years old ~ Olivia - 5.5 years old ~
ImageImage

themuelsmum
TNN nutter

Post by themuelsmum » Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:50 pm

I've never made soakers but on collors, sounds like the same situation, I use a circular needle, a short one for baby stuff, the size you did the waist band. If you used 4mm for the body this should be 3.25mm, 5mm use 4mm for cuff. Then the pattern should tell you the number of stitches to pick up evenly around, or pick up around one st for 1.5 - 2 rows.
I find 4 double ended needles tricky but it's only a short section.

I really hope some of that made sence, it's so hard to try and explain knitting, it seems to make sence when you visualise it but when you read the words I'm not sure?
Nicky SAHMum to Sam'themuel' born 14 July 04 and now Rob the monster born 17 Dec 06.

Occasionally popping my head out of the sludge of running round after three demanding boys :-)

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:27 pm

Thank you ladies!

All done now - photo in the gallery (Homemade, Tekapo Wool)
Leanne
Mum to 3 beautiful children
Image Small and Large pocket patterns available, for a small donation to Unicef. DIY kits also available for $5 each with free pattern. PM or email me for more info...

Return to “Yarns Crafts (knitting, crochet etc)”