How useful/practical are pilchers?

Chaucey
TNN nerd

How useful/practical are pilchers?

Post by Chaucey » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:26 am

Hello.

I'm a beginner knitter (I can do scarves, booties...) and I was wondering whether it might be worthwhile to knit pilchers.

Can someone please tell me how they use pilchers? Is a pilcher sufficient over a fitted nappy, as a sort of cover? Or would you still need a real waterproof layer in there somewhere like PUL?

I understand that wool is best, do you guys use 100% wool or do you prefer mixes. Somebody mentioned that natural wool with lots of lanolin on it still was good, but is it essential??

Does anyone have links to easy patterns?

Thanks!

sarahw
TNN nerd

Post by sarahw » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:56 am

IMHO... wool soakers/pilchers/overnaps are essential!! :D

Not everyone's taste, and not all babies tolerate or like wool, but great for those who do. My boy has a bit of a wool fetish - he used to snuggle up to his Rosies wool cover.

I find a wool soaker is all you need over a fitted, even for 12 hours+ overnight. Wool breathes wonderfully, and doesn't hold smells. To make them more waterproof I re-lanolise my soakers every few washes by giving them a final soak for about 5 minutes in warm water with a small amount of lanolin melted in.

I use them in the daytime too as little shorts. Longies (leggings) are great for winter.
Back for another round with baby #3

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:06 pm

Hi Chaucey,

Here's a thread with some info about the wonders of woollen overpants (which act as the waterproof layer - no extra cover required) http://www.thenappynetwork.org.nz/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2708&highlight=soaker+pattern

Here's a thread for patterns http://www.thenappynetwork.org.nz/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=478&highlight=soaker+pattern

And a thread to possibly inspire you http://www.thenappynetwork.org.nz/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1715&highlight=soaker+pattern

Edit: whoops - just realised I'd not answered all your questions.

I have knitted some soakers (skoakers - have the frilly skirt bit) out of acrylic yarn. They work fine for daytime - only problem being they get smelly faster and need washing more frequently (wool is quite magical - after an air the smell goes).

I have some woollen longies knitted by a couple of NNers - I used these on Emily at night over her stuffed PUL pockets for 2 reasons; 1. to keep her warm (blanket-kicker-off-er) and 2. I had issues with gaping at the legs - the longies provided an extra barrier/absorption so that she stayed wonderfully dry at night.
Leanne
Mum to 3 beautiful children
Image Small and Large pocket patterns available, for a small donation to Unicef. DIY kits also available for $5 each with free pattern. PM or email me for more info...

Flower
TNN nerd

Post by Flower » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:22 pm

I wondered what on earth everyone was talking about when I first came across the concept of wool covers on TNN - it seemed like a giant step backwards.

However, once Pippa of Snazzipants promised me that her stacinator merino wool covers work fine as covers, even overnight, I had to try one (I love merino). I have to say she was absolutely right and since then I have loved the breathability and naturalness of wool.

Chaucey
TNN nerd

Post by Chaucey » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:37 pm

Wow! Thanks so much for all the information.

I'd better get knitting! I'm in a real "nesting" mood at the moment, so this would be a perfect project (or three).

hoaenz
TNN guru

Post by hoaenz » Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:43 am

I see you are in Lower Hutt - Kiwi101 and Sharonnz both hail from the Hutt Valley and are both VERY good knitters so if you would like to see soakers and longies in real life or if you get stuck and need advice then a Wellington/Hutt Valley nappicino would be a great place to start!
Anthea
-----------------------------------------------

Chaucey
TNN nerd

Post by Chaucey » Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:34 am

I am really looking forward to the next craft nappiccino then. And I hope to check out different styles of nappies too.

By then perhaps I'll be preggers. We'll be starting to try next month :D I think I might feel like a bit of a fraud at a nappiccino if I had no baby or baby on the way :(

Mmm...pilchers, hats, booties... Any other baby knitting projects that are worthwhile?

Sharonnz
TNN guru

Post by Sharonnz » Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:34 am

Oh...you'd be MORE than welcome at our nappicinos - baby or no baby on the way!! I envy you getting started on your "stash" so early on. Just keep an eye on the nappicino thread. We're bound to have one in Upper Hutt in the next week or so.

Sharon

Return to “Yarns Crafts (knitting, crochet etc)”