variegated wools - utiku, tekapo, kairanga, tin shed

User avatar
dodgums
TNN guru
Posts: 8523
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:26 pm

Re: variegated wools - utiku, tekapo, kairanga, tin shed

Post by dodgums » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:54 pm

Just bought some hopefully it matches. Dh is away at easter camp this weekend so I think if the weather is horrible the kids and I will have a DVD day soIll get lots of new knitting done hopefully LOL
Mum to G 21yrs, B 20yr, B 14yrs, G 12yrs, G 9yrs, B 7yrs, B 5yrs and wife to a great dh

User avatar
jailee
TNN nerd
Posts: 3925
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:16 pm
Location: Whangarei

Re: variegated wools - utiku, tekapo, kairanga, tin shed

Post by jailee » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:22 pm

Hmmm, I've only just caught up with this! So has sunset gone then?
~ Jo ~
DD#1 Dec 04
DD#2 Jan 07
DS 2 Sept 09

User avatar
j-j
TNN guru
Posts: 7737
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:57 pm
Location: The Land of Yarn
Contact:

Re: variegated wools - utiku, tekapo, kairanga, tin shed

Post by j-j » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:33 pm

j-j wrote:Utiku 8 ply Multi Colours:

Faberge 2089 - Cyclamen, Olive, Amethyst
Blueberry 2085 - Merlot, Navy, Tomato
Mixed Berry 2076 - Amethyst, Peony Rose (so they must still have some peony this year?)
Ocean 2056 - Denim, sky, (all the blues)
Crayon 2068 - Tomato, Orange, Blue, Deep purple
Did you see this one Kate? Might help with your colour matching :)
Julia - Knitting nut and mum to 3 delicious children: DD - 9, DS#1 - 7 and DS#3 - 5

Knitting Pattern Designer of The Little Rascals, Poplar, Katniss, Primrose, Greyson patterns - available HERE

User avatar
j-j
TNN guru
Posts: 7737
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:57 pm
Location: The Land of Yarn
Contact:

Re: variegated wools - utiku, tekapo, kairanga, tin shed

Post by j-j » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:36 pm

jailee wrote:Hmmm, I've only just caught up with this! So has sunset gone then?
Yep

Has anyone else got a stash of now deleted TWC that they don't want to knit up or it will be gone :smt044
Julia - Knitting nut and mum to 3 delicious children: DD - 9, DS#1 - 7 and DS#3 - 5

Knitting Pattern Designer of The Little Rascals, Poplar, Katniss, Primrose, Greyson patterns - available HERE

Petals
TNN guru
Posts: 6346
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:46 am

Re: variegated wools - utiku, tekapo, kairanga, tin shed

Post by Petals » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:00 pm

RachaelD wrote:Flamingo looks like a new colour, I have just sent them an email to ask how it compares to the now deleted Peony Rose, and whether it matches the pink in Watermelon and Mixed Berries.
I had a look in the shop on Sunday. IMO Flamingo is more tomato reddish than peony rose was. It seemed an old fashioned colour to me, reminds me of playdough! It is listed in the new catalogue as a contrast colour for Mixed Berries (yes I got to see the catalogue too, but they wouldn't let me have it, it should be in the mail "after Easter"). However when the flamingo was held up next to the Mixed Berries it didn't look that great and the shop assistant did steer me toward the Amethyst, which does look nice with it.
Kylie

User avatar
rochellej
TNN guru
Posts: 6693
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:35 pm
Location: North Shore, Auckland

Re: variegated wools - utiku, tekapo, kairanga, tin shed

Post by rochellej » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:30 am

Petals wrote:
RachaelD wrote:Flamingo looks like a new colour, I have just sent them an email to ask how it compares to the now deleted Peony Rose, and whether it matches the pink in Watermelon and Mixed Berries.
I had a look in the shop on Sunday. IMO Flamingo is more tomato reddish than peony rose was. It seemed an old fashioned colour to me, reminds me of playdough! It is listed in the new catalogue as a contrast colour for Mixed Berries (yes I got to see the catalogue too, but they wouldn't let me have it, it should be in the mail "after Easter"). However when the flamingo was held up next to the Mixed Berries it didn't look that great and the shop assistant did steer me toward the Amethyst, which does look nice with it.
You went to the shop? In person? Did you buy anything? If you did I need to stay longer at your house tomorrow! :wink:
Rochelle

Daniel - 2002
Maia - 2004
Ava - 2006

Petals
TNN guru
Posts: 6346
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:46 am

Re: variegated wools - utiku, tekapo, kairanga, tin shed

Post by Petals » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:48 am

I did, briefly, while my lovely man fed our children outside, and chatted to the other men who were also waiting outside - looked so funny as there were three motorhomes lined up in the carpark with the women inside the shop and the men doing whatever it is that men do while they wait for women.

I'm not actually sure what I bought, I asked her to squash it all into the smallest bag she could find :D and I was humming and hahing over what to buy for you and then thought you might want to look at them all in person before deciding. So I think I might've bought me one of everything just so that you can see them all :wink: The purpose of the visit was for Mr 6 to choose some possum/merino to make him a non-scratchy vest, but they didn't have many colours of that and he fell in love with the Gala colourway instead and assures me he will wear it regardless of how the wool feels. So who am I to argue with a small boy so passionate about wool?
Kylie

User avatar
blossom
TNN guru
Posts: 6754
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:39 am
Location: Darwin, NT, Australia

Re: variegated wools - utiku, tekapo, kairanga, tin shed

Post by blossom » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:37 am

** ahhhh **

I went in to the TWC shop last weekend, gosh it was fun! :lol:

I was surprised/disappointed at the Faberge. For some reason, from the first pic posted on here, I thought it had a camel/tan colour in it, but no it's definitely an olive/green colour :( I was quite looking forward to that too...

So, I bought some Ocean - already knitted it up into a Milo and I love it!
Plus some Mixed Berry & Amethyst - which I just wound up into balls last night. The berry looks even nicer wound up! :D
Trying to decide what to make with it though.... maybe a rainbow dress? (Zoe already has a Spring Butterfly, a Kaia Babydoll and a Milo... I should do somethign different right?)

I really wanted to buy more in there though, it was hard to walk away :hide:
Janine
Mum to L (30/10/02) & Z (01/01/06)
-----------------------------------------

User avatar
rochellej
TNN guru
Posts: 6693
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:35 pm
Location: North Shore, Auckland

Re: variegated wools - utiku, tekapo, kairanga, tin shed

Post by rochellej » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:53 am

I love the Faberge on its own but what I am most disappointed about is that the Cyclamen I have as well as two other hanks we tried it against last night, are no match at all, not even close!

We also tried matching Khaki with it & that wasn't anything like what is in the Faberge either. I get that there are different batches of different colours but to have a variegated yarn that doesn't remotely match with anything that it's supposed to match with is quite annoying.
Rochelle

Daniel - 2002
Maia - 2004
Ava - 2006

User avatar
jailee
TNN nerd
Posts: 3925
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:16 pm
Location: Whangarei

Re: variegated wools - utiku, tekapo, kairanga, tin shed

Post by jailee » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:49 pm

rochellej wrote:I love the Faberge on its own but what I am most disappointed about is that the Cyclamen I have as well as two other hanks we tried it against last night, are no match at all, not even close!

We also tried matching Khaki with it & that wasn't anything like what is in the Faberge either. I get that there are different batches of different colours but to have a variegated yarn that doesn't remotely match with anything that it's supposed to match with is quite annoying.
Hmmm, that's interesting....I'm quite keen to get some Faberge (especially after seeing Rachel D's kaia babydoll in it - I think she had cyclamen matched with it and it looked great I thought?)
~ Jo ~
DD#1 Dec 04
DD#2 Jan 07
DS 2 Sept 09

User avatar
MrsB
TNN nerd
Posts: 2640
Joined: Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:52 pm
Location: Auckland

Re: variegated wools - utiku, tekapo, kairanga, tin shed

Post by MrsB » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:35 am

I got some Faberge and Cyclamen too, and it seems to match up OK - I haven't knitted it up yet though.
Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being. ~ Kittie Franz ~

** The Bird's Nest is now up & running - contact me for a list of licensed knits :D **

Mama to two little women - July 06 & 09
& two angels 07 & 08
:storkboy: June 2012

User avatar
grubbiejulz
TNN nerd
Posts: 3383
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:25 pm
Location: Somewhere out there in Westville

Re: variegated wools - utiku, tekapo, kairanga, tin shed

Post by grubbiejulz » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:51 am

It tones.....it is not by a long shot the same colour

None of the colours were the same ......none of the recommended colours were the same......they only toned

I was unimpressed also IRL even tho kitted up it looks fabulous :gaah:
Julie
I blog here http://grubbiejulz.blogspot.com/
I'm on Ravelry as grubbiejulz http://www.ravelry.com/people/grubbiejulz
Come meet us IRL at Slingbabies http://www.slingbabies.co.nz

User avatar
Khai
TNN oracle
Posts: 12297
Joined: Sun May 20, 2007 5:34 pm

Re: variegated wools - utiku, tekapo, kairanga, tin shed

Post by Khai » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:02 am

jailee wrote:
rochellej wrote:I love the Faberge on its own but what I am most disappointed about is that the Cyclamen I have as well as two other hanks we tried it against last night, are no match at all, not even close!

We also tried matching Khaki with it & that wasn't anything like what is in the Faberge either. I get that there are different batches of different colours but to have a variegated yarn that doesn't remotely match with anything that it's supposed to match with is quite annoying.
Hmmm, that's interesting....I'm quite keen to get some Faberge (especially after seeing Rachel D's kaia babydoll in it - I think she had cyclamen matched with it and it looked great I thought?)
Dyelots can vary hugely though, so as long as you order from the same batch (and put a note in the comments, it *should* be ok).

User avatar
RachaelD
TNN nerd
Posts: 2907
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:54 pm
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Contact:

Re: variegated wools - utiku, tekapo, kairanga, tin shed

Post by RachaelD » Mon May 03, 2010 6:47 pm

Mixed Berries and Amethyst knitted into Looking Glass Longies...

ImageImage
Rachael, Mum to Melissa 5/6/05 and Hannah 2/10/06... and now Archie the Miniature Schnauzer

Read about our USA trip here... 293 days and counting...

On Instagram here.

Image
Handknits for Children, plus some accessories for the Mum's too.
More info on my Blog, Facebook page or PM for details.

User avatar
Noisybabe007
TNN nerd
Posts: 3672
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 1:06 pm
Location: West Auckland

Re: variegated wools - utiku, tekapo, kairanga, tin shed

Post by Noisybabe007 » Mon May 03, 2010 7:17 pm

RachaelD wrote:Mixed Berries and Amethyst knitted into Looking Glass Longies...


Gorgeous combination - :smt049 it!
Ang - Wife to Wonderful DH S :smt049, Mummy to Gorgeous O :princess: - 16/4/09, our Miracle V :princess: 11/10/11, & Wee Man Lucas 02/06/13- as well as 2 kittys Zoe and Blue :cat: :cat:

ImageImageImage

Post Reply

Return to “Yarns Crafts (knitting, crochet etc)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests